Pats Have Many Holes to Fill

MLB: Teddy Bruschi is all but retired and if he doesn't Bill & Kraft won't waste any time retiring him. No more "Invisble Man" impersonations from this guy;

RB: Dillon is about a year away from being put out to pasture too. And as I've said before Maroney has not proven he's #1 material;

WR: their decisions not to keep top WRs have finally come back to haunt them. Does anyone really think Branch wouldn't have been the difference maker last night after seeing Caldwell "Deer in Headlight" eyes drop pass after pass?

SS: Harrison is old and often injured and he was a huge key to Pats 2nd and 3rd Super Bowl wins. He's their Bob Sanders who makes the whole defense click.

Those are 4 high profile hard to fill positions. I don't care how much under the cap or how many 1st rounders a team has, getting the "right guy" for all those slots in the same year is extremely challenging. And that also assumes they resign super high priced Asante Samuel in the secondary ... a huge "if" for a team that doesn't like to overpay free agents. Looking like Pats take another notch down next year.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MLB: Teddy Bruschi is all but retired and if he doesn't Bill & Kraft won't waste any time retiring him. No more "Invisble Man" impersonations from this guy;

RB: Dillon is about a year away from being put out to pasture too. And as I've said before Maroney has not proven he's #1 material;

WR: their decisions not to keep top WRs have finally come back to haunt them. Does anyone really think Branch wouldn't have been the difference maker last night after seeing Caldwell "Deer in Headlight" eyes drop pass after pass?

SS: Harrison is old and often injured and he was a huge key to Pats 2nd and 3rd Super Bowl wins. He's their Bob Sanders who makes the whole defense click.

Those are 4 high profile hard to fill positions. I don't care how much under the cap or how many 1st rounders a team has, getting the "right guy" for all those slots in the same year is extremely challenging. And that also assumes they resign super high priced Asante Samuel in the secondary ... a huge "if" for a team that doesn't like to overpay free agents. Looking like Pats take another notch down next year.

Nothing like a hot cup of wishful thinking on Monday morning! I'm not discrediting your post- you make good points, but they'll still be at the top of our division next year. And by top I mean second to Buffalo.

The Pats find linebackers like Willis finds baby mamas. They'll pick up Takeo or someone in a similar type situation to fill their needs.

Marony looks just fine to me and with another year under his belt he'll be that much better.

They really need to address this, perhaps a FA but a quick fix is not apparent.

See linebackers.

If only to make my life miserable, the Pats will be good as long as Brady and Belichek roam the NE sidelines.

The Pats find linebackers like Willis finds baby mamas. They'll pick up Takeo or someone in a similar type situation to fill their needs.

Marony looks just fine to me and with another year under his belt he'll be that much better.

They really need to address this, perhaps a FA but a quick fix is not apparent.

See linebackers.

If only to make my life miserable, the Pats will be good as long as Brady and Belichek roam the NE sidelines.

i think you're over valuing the pats "mystique" thing. that mystique took a huge hit last night when they lost the title game to a team they used to own in the playoffs.

Nothing like a hot cup of wishful thinking on Monday morning! I'm not discrediting your post- you make good points, but they'll still be at the top of our division next year. And by top I mean second to Buffalo.

i have a sneaky suspicion that pats losing conference finals to a team they used to own in the playoffs will be the official end of their championship winning / contending run. bellicheck is no better than chuck noll, tom landry and don shula and all of them went out on the bottom too.

If the Patsies have too many holes to fill, then we have the grand canyon.

Can anyone else picture Fletcher in a NE uni?

Exactly and they have done a better job of filling holes in their roster over the past 10 years than anyone in the league IMO. No reason to think they can't replace a few more old parts. They have a successful formula like it or not.

If the Patsies have too many holes to fill, then we have the grand canyon.

Can anyone else picture Fletcher in a NE uni?

Fletcher said this will be his last big contract and he wanted people to show him the money...I doubt he gets big bucks from Bellichek....

i think you're over valuing the pats "mystique" thing. that mystique took a huge hit last night when they lost the title game to a team they used to own in the playoffs.

I'm guessing you're one of those people who thought that the Pats weren't going to be that good before this year started. You know, all those guys who were yelling that they were vulnerable this year? Yet, there they were playing in the AFC title game last night.

The D is good, they hvae one of the best QBs in the league and their OL is very solid. Sure they're not perfect top to bottom but if you have those three things you'll be one of the better teams in the league year in and year out.

I'm guessing you're one of those people who thought that the Pats weren't going to be that good before this year started. You know, all those guys who were yelling that they were vulnerable this year? Yet, there they were playing in the AFC title game last night.

The D is good, they hvae one of the best QBs in the league and their OL is very solid. Sure they're not perfect top to bottom but if you have those three things you'll be one of the better teams in the league year in and year out.

I think the Pats front 3 is one of the best...Two of their LBs are good, two are aging and on their way out....Their cornerbacks have played some of the best football, but weakness in the safety position especially with Harrison missing the playoffs was a big blow....

On offense they have a good running game, which they never used.....have a pretty good OL that gave Tom Brady 7 seconds to throw that TD pass to Gaffney in the back of the endzone.

However, they need better WRs...Chad Jackson might be featured more as a big WR threat next season....

I am sure they will grab the scrubs of other teams this season and make them into very good role players within their system next season..

Until Brady retires, the Pats will always be in the hunt.

I have to fervently disagree here. I am not sold on Tom Brady as a quarterback. I am sold on the New England system. Bellechick seeks players he can plug in to his gameplan to perform one task well and he/they/everyone succeeds. It's so complicated it's simple. Christ, even Bledsoe found success in New England and he's a disastard.

I have to fervently disagree here. I am not sold on Tom Brady as a quarterback. I am sold on the New England system. Bellechick seeks players he can plug in to his gameplan to perform one task well and he/they/everyone succeeds. It's so complicated it's simple. Christ, even Bledsoe found success in New England and he's a disastard.

If thats the case then why were the Pats 5-11 in 2000 under Bledsoe & Belichick?

Check the Pats record pre & post Brady. He's a first ballot Hall of Famer who upon entering Canton will drop trou and proceed to take a crap on Jim Kelly's bust.

Bledsoe struggled mightily (and so did the Pats) before he got injured and Brady stepped in. You can go on "not being sold" on Brady and he'll go on being successful every single year no matter who the surrounding players on offense are.

It annoys me to no end that Brady is as good as he is (since he's in the Bills division) but I'm not going to put the blinders on like many Bills fans.

Sorry have to disagree....New England with Bledsoe even with Belichek as the HC was a disaster...In fact that super bowl season they started something like 1-3 or 1-4 with Bledsoe as the starter before the injury.....

Belichek (or rather Weis) system depended on having a very accurate QB who is not flustered...Bledsoe was neither of that and Brady was everything that was needed for that system. A very good defense and an excellent special teams + good QB play has kept them in the SB hunt year-in year-out and will continue to do that until there is talent erosion on their defense and STs.

If thats the case then why were the Pats 5-11 in 2000 under Bledsoe & Belichick?

Check the Pats record pre & post Brady. He's a first ballot Hall of Famer who upon entering Canton will drop trou and proceed to take a crap on Jim Kelly's bust.

Tom Brady is definitely a hall of famer, he's accomplished too much, but I think any 'professional' quarterback (e.g. someone who has the skills to earn money for throwing a football) would have great success in this current NE system. The OL is unbelievable! And when it breaks down, Brady sucks. Sadly, this is a rare occurence. In addition to the OL (which is the anchor to any successful team), the have servicable receivers and backs. Had Crack-Eyes not had those drops lastnight, the Patriots are headed to the Super Bowl. They have a great receiving tight end (lots of folks would love to see him in Orchard Park) and the result of all of these consistently sufficient parts is perpetual execution which leads to wins.

I think the Pats front 3 is one of the best...Two of their LBs are good, two are aging and on their way out....Their cornerbacks have played some of the best football, but weakness in the safety position especially with Harrison missing the playoffs was a big blow....

On offense they have a good running game, which they never used.....have a pretty good OL that gave Tom Brady 7 seconds to throw that TD pass to Gaffney in the back of the endzone.

However, they need better WRs...Chad Jackson might be featured more as a big WR threat next season....

I am sure they will grab the scrubs of other teams this season and make them into very good role players within their system next season..

They also have two first round draft picks and a possible third if they tag & trade Samuel. I hate them too but the cupboard isn't going to be empty any time soon.