John McCargo???

why are so many people counting on this guy for next year?

he couldn't beat out anderson or williams, did nothing when he did play and then got hurt

to count on this guy being a quality starter for next year is silly

right now we have zero quality starters at DT-ZERO

lil larry t is ave/below ave

williams is ave who may improve after a year in the weight room

mccargo is a big ?

anderson will be cut

we need DT help as priority one

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

he couldn't beat out anderson or williams, did nothing when he did play and then got hurt

mccargo is a big ?

anderson will be cut

I got discouraged when after one of the first days in camp it was reported that he was forced to run sprints because of an inability to follow directions. Then he gets beat out by a fifth round pick (who performed well and is the only promise at DT right now) and Tim Anderson. Everyone said that DT is one of the positions that is difficult to learn at and typically takes a few years to grow into well then how come Kyle Williams was declared the starter before the 1st preseason game?

I completely agree, McCargo is not proven and taking a risk and not drafting or acquiring another DT is retarded.

McCargo was backing up Triplett position.....So he was not going to beat out Anderson or Williams who were playing the other DT position.

I disagree.

I thought just before he was hurt he started coming on and playing well.

And just the fact that he has gone through the whole first season, training camp, and all the in's and out's of being in the NFL give a 2nd year guy an edge he didn't have coming in as a rookie.

Are the Bills counting on him? I suppose that is hard to say. I think if the Bills add a wide body DT, McCargo is going to fit into the Bills Defensive line philosophy of speed and lots of rotations very well.

Yes he needs to prove that he can stay healthy, but that isn't something you can predict one way or another.

The one thing that does concern me about Mcgargo, is that I have read on this board from a few NC St alums or students & they have all said without exception that Mcgargo is probably not going to be the answer. We will have to see though. It generally takes DTs 2-3 yrs to get acclimated to the nfl.

I disagree.

I thought just before he was hurt he started coming on and playing well.

And just the fact that he has gone through the whole first season, training camp, and all the in's and out's of being in the NFL give a 2nd year guy an edge he didn't have coming in as a rookie.

Are the Bills counting on him? I suppose that is hard to say. I think if the Bills add a wide body DT, McCargo is going to fit into the Bills Defensive line philosophy of speed and lots of rotations very well.

Yes he needs to prove that he can stay healthy, but that isn't something you can predict one way or another.

Yes, before he was injured he earned the starting position next to Tripplett. He had really started to come on before the injury. I think what would work best for next year is to get a big bodied DT, and have him play on running downs, sharing with McCargo on passing downs, and Williams working in with Tripplett.

mccargo is a big ?

anderson will be cut

The guy was a rookie who got hurt. Also, he doesn't play Anderson or Williams position. He plays the other DT position, which is different. So you could say he didn't beat out Tripplett to start, who of course was going to start after we threw money at him in the offseason. Of course people are counting on mcCargo because he was a 1st round pick. It just boggles my mind when people want to throw someone to the wolves because they weren't an immediate HOF player in their rookie year, especially when they missed most of the season due to injury. I certainly agree we need DT help but the constant kneejerk reactions has got to stop (not that it ever will, since it is pretty much a definition of being a diehard, but ya know :thumbsup: )

The one thing that does concern me about Mcgargo, is that I have read on this board from a few NC St alums or students & they have all said without exception that Mcgargo is probably not going to be the answer. We will have to see though. It generally takes DTs 2-3 yrs to get acclimated to the nfl.

Manny and Mario were the keys to that line. I am a huge Wolfpack fan, and I can honestly say when McCargo got hurt as a Junior, nobody batted an eyelash as he was not that good. He did have some flashes as a senior, but that was due to so much attention being paid to Mario and Manny. I was shocked when Marv took Witner, but understood the choice. When he traded back into the first round and took McCargo, I had to turn the TV off for a couple minutes while I went to vomit.

Manny and Mario were the keys to that line. I am a huge Wolfpack fan, and I can honestly say when McCargo got hurt as a Junior, nobody batted an eyelash as he was not that good. He did have some flashes as a senior, but that was due to so much attention being paid to Mario and Manny. I was shocked when Marv took Witner, but understood the choice. When he traded back into the first round and took McCargo, I had to turn the TV off for a couple minutes while I went to vomit.

LOL, If that isn't a ringing endorsement I don't know what is! :thumbsup::blink:

LOL, If that isn't a ringing endorsement I don't know what is! :thumbsup::blink:

Why don't we just wait and see before we give up on the kid. I'm sure Marv saw something in the kid that made him go out and reach for him. His other seven picks turned out ok. He needs another camp, stay healthy, stronger and put on 10 lbs., then let's judge him after one full season of play.

The guy was a rookie who got hurt. Also, he doesn't play Anderson or Williams position. He plays the other DT position, which is different. So you could say he didn't beat out Tripplett to start, who of course was going to start after we threw money at him in the offseason. Of course people are counting on mcCargo because he was a 1st round pick. It just boggles my mind when people want to throw someone to the wolves because they weren't an immediate HOF player in their rookie year, especially when they missed most of the season due to injury. I certainly agree we need DT help but the constant kneejerk reactions has got to stop (not that it ever will, since it is pretty much a definition of being a diehard, but ya know :thumbsup: )

so marv drafted him to be a back up to larry- i don't think so

he was suppossed to start next to larry and he couldn't crack the lineup

i'm not throwing him to the wolves but am commenting on the numerous posts that are putting this guy 'one step away from the pro bowl' (sarcasm on) when he did nothing this year

"Yes, before he was injured he earned the starting position next to Tripplett. He had really started to come on before the injury. I think what would work best for next year is to get a big bodied DT, and have him play on running downs, sharing with McCargo on passing downs, and Williams working in with Tripplett. "

he played in 5 games; none started; and was 5/1:6 in tackles- in no game did he have over 2 tackles- where was he coming on?

what is so kneejerk about questioning the elevation of an injured rookie with 5 solo tackles to quality starter next year?

Is Marv gong to admit he whiffed on McCargo by taking another DT?

You can't "whiff" on a guy who's played a handful of games in his rookie season. As I find myself saying more and more often here, this is not fantasy football. Players actually develop over a span of time that is longer than it takes to heat up a hot pocket.

Why don't we just wait and see before we give up on the kid. I'm sure Marv saw something in the kid that made him go out and reach for him. His other seven picks turned out ok. He needs another camp, stay healthy, stronger and put on 10 lbs., then let's judge him after one full season of play.

LOL, you obviously didn't read my first post. I was defending McCargo. I agree with everything you said here.

so marv drafted him to be a back up to larry- i don't think so

No, Tripplett and McCargo play the same DT position. The whole idea is to have enough DT's to rotate on a consistent basis so that they stay fresh, considering that the whole philosophy is to penetrate into the backfield and bust up a play, versus the Ted Washington hunker down in the middle and don't move philosophy.

he was suppossed to start next to larry and he couldn't crack the lineup

No, not true. He was never supposed to start next to tripplett this year. they in fact play the same position. the way we rotate DT's anyway, the starter only plays half the snaps anyway, so the whole point of who "starts" is fairly negligable..

i'm not throwing him to the wolves but am commenting on the numerous posts that are putting this guy 'one step away from the pro bowl' (sarcasm on) when he did nothing this year

Talk about exaggeration to prove a point. No one I've read on this board has put him one step away from the pro bowl already. I have, however, read a lot of posts that have very high expectations for him to be really good considering we traded up into the 1st round to get him. if you don't have high expectations for a player to be killer who you traded up for in the 1st round then i don't know how you can have expectations for any player!

what is so kneejerk about questioning the elevation of an injured rookie with 5 solo tackles to quality starter next year?

Nothing, it just seemed to me that you want to throw him to the wolves already because he's not an immediate HOF player. The fact is that we need to play him as much as possible to see what he's got. That's it. Five games does not tell the story one way or the other. That's why, imo, your analysis is premature at best.