John McCargo???

From what I've heard, the Bills thought JMac was starting to turn the corner, but are now concerned that his foot injury will be a nagging one. I think that DT is a priority in FA or the draft. And where was the biggest deficiency on the defense: against the run. The Bills aren't dumb and know that they need a run-stopping DT and apparently can't count on McCargo, or more precisely his foot, staying healthy.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm probably repeating things other people have said, but here goes:

McCargo is someone who shows significant talent and is still very young. He needs to stay healthy of course, but there is no reason he should not live up to the expectations Marv had when he traded up to pick him.

He did not "beat out Anderson and Williams" in camp, but remember that Coy Wire stayed above Whitner on the depth chart as well, and he was listed as the same position as Triplett (not that he couldn't start along side him at some point, but that wasn't where he was being penciled in as a rookie).

I fully expect that his learning this year through camp and the games he played, plus learning and watching while hurt, means that he should contribute even more in 2007, and not be just a rookie, much like Youboty gets a whole year of learning and practicing against Lee and Roscoe and Price.

So I'm curious to see McCargo prove it on the field and help us win games, but I don't see any reason for alarm or considering him a bust at this point. I think we could have handled the first two rounds better than we did in hindsight, but that is the nature of the draft. I think McCargo will contribute and we will be fine with the pick three years from now looking back on his 2007-2009 seasons.

I think we have to both count on McCargo and still have big needs at DT.

McCargo......like it or not......was a 1st round pick. That means unless he retires(or similar), he will be on the active roster next year......therefore....since the Defensive scheme we use relies upon high rotation amongst the DTs......we will need to rely on McCargo improving.

Obviously Anderson will be let go....that leaves Williams & ?????.....therefore we still(even with McCargo) have a big need at DT.

Simply....to become a 'very good' defence we need McCargo to become better than average AND we need another DT who is better than average.

You can never have enough good offensive and defensive linemen. I wish I could find the stats but I believe the Bills improved tremedously in stopping the run in the second halves of games this year. While our DT wasn't great, fresh bodies allowed us to better at the point of attack. And another body not named Anderson will only help next year.

I think we have to both count on McCargo and still have big needs at DT.

McCargo......like it or not......was a 1st round pick. That means unless he retires(or similar), he will be on the active roster next year......therefore....since the Defensive scheme we use relies upon high rotation amongst the DTs......we will need to rely on McCargo improving.

Obviously Anderson will be let go....that leaves Williams & ?????.....therefore we still(even with McCargo) have a big need at DT.

Simply....to become a 'very good' defence we need McCargo to become better than average AND we need another DT who is better than average.

Yes, well said. This is the reasonable viewpoint to take, imo.