***Official*** Who do you want in Free Agency

OnTheRocks

Kevin Curtis - Rams WR

Familiar with Steve Fairchild.

His numbers dipped considerably from 2005 to 2006 due to playing time behind Issac Bruce. (last year Bruce missed a few games).

His dip in numbers may make him a little more affordable.

In my opinion, he would be a perfect compliment to Lee Evans.

Maybe the only downside is he isn't the protypical "big" receiver. He is only 5'11" 186lbs.

From FFMastermind.com:

I think that Steinbach is the best possible option. If given a choice between Steinbach and Clements, I would choose Steinbach in a heartbeat.

We have more than our share of small receivers, and need to focus on becoming a stronger team that is capable of running, and stopping the run in the cold and wind.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What makes you say that? There is always the distinct possibility that any player drafted at any position will be a bust.

Not as much with corners. Usually CB's are easy to predict into NFL players. Low rate of bust; lower salary; low learning curve. That's why teams draft corners early in the draft.

Not as much with corners. Usually CB's are easy to predict into NFL players. Low rate of bust; lower salary; low learning curve. That's why teams draft corners early in the draft.

Even if you are correct (not totally doubting you, just need more research :rolleyes: ), it hasn't worked for the Bills. In fact, the 1st round corner merry go-round is (imro) one of the primary factors (along with poor coaching and a shabby, scrap heap OL) that has caused the Bills to lose so many games since the superbowl years.

At some point, wouldn't you like to try another approach?

Even if you are correct (not totally doubting you, just need more research :rolleyes: ), it hasn't worked for the Bills. In fact, the 1st round corner merry go-round is (imro) one of the primary factors (along with poor coaching and a shabby, scrap heap OL) that has caused the Bills to lose so many games since the superbowl years.

At some point, wouldn't you like to try another approach?

I always thought our secondary has been pretty strong since the Super Bowl years. Burris, Thomas Smith, Winfield, Clements.

I will say this--of any corner that has come through here, Clements is the guy to spend the money on. No one before him had his coverage and playmaking abilities. On the other hand, I'd love to be able to take that money and go out and get a top-tier guard, LB, and #2 WR.

But if we let Clements go, I think we have to go corner in rounds 1 or 2--we're not going to get a competent replacement in the FA bargain bin.

I always thought our secondary has been pretty strong since the Super Bowl years. Burris, Thomas Smith, Winfield, Clements.

I will say this--of any corner that has come through here, Clements is the guy to spend the money on. No one before him had his coverage and playmaking abilities. On the other hand, I'd love to be able to take that money and go out and get a top-tier guard, LB, and #2 WR.

But if we let Clements go, I think we have to go corner in rounds 1 or 2--we're not going to get a competent replacement in the FA bargain bin.

I agree with this post. Clements is the best of the above list, although my favorite of this bunch was definitely winfield.

but yeah, get ready for a early first day CB. it's gonna happen. even if we threw all the money in the world at clements he wouldn't take it because he does not want to be in buffalo anymore.

I totally agree with you on your opinion of 1st round corners. Low paying, can step right in and play, and would give us money to spend in other areas.

I'd not advocating the Bills daft a CB #1 right now, but in regards to CB's in general, you are dead on with your analysis.

I will say this--of any corner that has come through here, Clements is the guy to spend the money on. No one before him had his coverage and playmaking abilities.

I fully agree. I like Clements more than Winfield because he is bigger and more athletic. Sadly, I suspect that he wants out of Buffalo, and I also doubt that Ralph is willing to fork over the 20 million dollar signing bonus that would be required to keep him.

If true, this is bad news.

Why? If we draft a 1st round CB, we get a super player who can start right away (little learning curve to playing CB) and pay him half the money free agent corners command.

To think a rookie could replace Nate is questionable but even if one could wouldn't you much rather see us use the pick to improve another position as why make a hole to fill when don't have to? I'll give our scouting staff kudos for being able to "find" CBs year after year but agree it's time we hold onto a CB and find another position in Round 1.

In terms of my short list of UFAs they are:

CB Nate Clements

LB London Fletcher

OG Kris Dielman

DT Ian Scott

DE Chris Kelsay

CB Kiwaukee Thomas

RB Kenny Watson

We won't be spending big dollars at LB, we have our three starters on the roster right now. Ellison earned a look at OLB and he fits the system perfectly. Crowell is going to play and so is TKO. The question is where. Does Crowell go back inside or does TKO? We'll see how that plays out but we aren't switching to a 3-4 so we don't need another big money LB, especially at OLB (we DEFINETLY have 3 of those already). Adalius Thomas is a terrible fit for us, he needs to go to Pittsburgh and be the next Joey Porter/Kevin Greene/Greg Lloyd. If we find a bigger, quick MLB we might go after that but I really see one of our existing players shifting inside and then drafting an LB on day 1. Any FAs we get will be relatively unknown and inexpensive.

As for OL, I'm comfortable with our tackles, I'd like veteran depth there. Bob Whitfield really bailed the Giants out when Petigout got hurt and players like him are relatively inexpensive insurance. I am EXTREMELY leery of spending big money on a FA guard. Guards are very system dependent, probably as system dependent as LBs. We need to find a guard who can do what we ask our guards to do from a team that has similar blocking calls. just because a guy is a beast for one team doesn't mean that translates well. Do we want a zone blocker or a man blocker, a pulling guard or a big guy, a run blocker or pass blocker? All important considerations. Quite frankly I don't think Eric Steinbach is the messiah we all want him to be, Palmer got a lot of pressure up the middle this year and their runnign game was pretty inconsistent. he's a nice player, no doubt, but I don't think that's the place to spend 5 million. Gandy is fine at LG, we had few problems on that side once he was there and he and Peters seemed to work well off one another. RG was a bigger issue. I'm not sold on Preston as a guard at all and I'd like to have a veteran next to Pennington. If there's a top guard available on day one of the draft I say we go there. Leonard Davis isn't the answer to any question I have. He's huge but he's soft, he's doesn't abuse anyone and get get pushed around, that's not much different than what we have now. If he was any good at all why would AZ who has NO line to speak of let him walk?

I'd like a #2 WR, someone tall who has great hands. If they could clone Ed McCaffrey I'd want him. Drew Bennett is close but I think he's more expensive than we're willing to go for a #2. The draft isn't likely to get us any immediate help, very very few rookie WRs do much of anything. We actually have quite alot of competition at WR right now. Price, Reed and Parrish are all competing for time so any new faces will have to fight with them, and likely bring some ST to the table to supplant either Andre Davis or Sam Aiken. Charles Rogers won't happen, Mike Williams isn't likely. Is DJ Hackett available?

Hackett is a restricted free agent. That sucks. He would be quite a complement to Evans.

As for OL, I'm comfortable with our tackles, I'd like veteran depth there. Bob Whitfield really bailed the Giants out when Petigout got hurt and players like him are relatively inexpensive insurance. I am EXTREMELY leery of spending big money on a FA guard. Guards are very system dependent, probably as system dependent as LBs. We need to find a guard who can do what we ask our guards to do from a team that has similar blocking calls. just because a guy is a beast for one team doesn't mean that translates well. Do we want a zone blocker or a man blocker, a pulling guard or a big guy, a run blocker or pass blocker? All important considerations. Quite frankly I don't think Eric Steinbach is the messiah we all want him to be, Palmer got a lot of pressure up the middle this year and their runnign game was pretty inconsistent. he's a nice player, no doubt, but I don't think that's the place to spend 5 million. Gandy is fine at LG, we had few problems on that side once he was there and he and Peters seemed to work well off one another. RG was a bigger issue. I'm not sold on Preston as a guard at all and I'd like to have a veteran next to Pennington. If there's a top guard available on day one of the draft I say we go there. Leonard Davis isn't the answer to any question I have. He's huge but he's soft, he's doesn't abuse anyone and get get pushed around, that's not much different than what we have now. If he was any good at all why would AZ who has NO line to speak of let him walk?

Whitfield is a walking personal foul penalty. No way do I want him on the Bills.

cough<JDWilliams> cough A CB drafted in the first round, who never played an NFL game will command big money. I would rather use our money to resign a proven commodity such as Nate Clements. We have a habit of drafting CBs then letting them walk 4 years later

I am EXTREMELY leery of spending big money on a FA guard. Guards are very system dependent, probably as system dependent as LBs. We need to find a guard who can do what we ask our guards to do from a team that has similar blocking calls. just because a guy is a beast for one team doesn't mean that translates well. Do we want a zone blocker or a man blocker, a pulling guard or a big guy, a run blocker or pass blocker? All important considerations. Quite frankly I don't think Eric Steinbach is the messiah we all want him to be, Palmer got a lot of pressure up the middle this year and their runnign game was pretty inconsistent. he's a nice player, no doubt, but I don't think that's the place to spend 5 million.

Great point.

Steinbach supporters, have you seen the guy play these last few years--are are you just assuming he's played up to his draft status? I haven't heard people rave about Steinbach in Cincy--is he worth the money?

Perhaps trading down and drafting a guard is the way to go--rather than breaking the bank on one in free agency.

Whitfield is a walking personal foul penalty. No way do I want him on the Bills.

I'm not suggesting Whitfield himself, only a similar type of player. An older, lower priced veteran who can step in and play a little if needed. Someone who won't command big dollars because they probably can't start a whole season but could come in for 3-6 weeks and not get us killed. Whitfield was just my example of how other teams have used players like that.

Great point.

Steinbach supporters, have you seen the guy play these last few years--are are you just assuming he's played up to his draft status? I haven't heard people rave about Steinbach in Cincy--is he worth the money?

Perhaps trading down and drafting a guard is the way to go--rather than breaking the bank on one in free agency.

We will never win as long as Ralph pinches pennies on free agents. You have to be willing to spend big bucks (wisely) if you plan to win.

Great point.

Steinbach is said to have played very well at OG, and has even filled in at LT. Cincy extended the contracts of both Jones and Anderson (their starting OTs), and their qb is one of the highest paid players in football. This (imo) is why Steinbach is available.

Trading down and drafting a guard could be a good idea. I am for whatever works, because Ruben Brown is the only good guard we have had on the team since 1995 or so (other than perhaps 1/2 a season from CV in 04). Look at this list of horror shows, and then add some other names such as Hulsey and Panos. This is what we have been lining up with at OG.

I agree with you that he will cost a fortune, but the Bills have so much cap space that signing him would barely make a dent, and can only help us in the W/L standings.

We have a habit of drafting CBs then letting them walk 4 years later

Because we've been getting good ones who want to be paid like great ones after 4 years and other teams overpay for them.

I'd tag and trade Nate. We have the cap space to play chicken this year. A past deterrent to tag and trade was the players actually signing the tender, we didn't have the space to accomodate that easily. If he signs it this year thats fine, we get another year out of him w/o having to pay the huge signing bonus and we still have the flexibility to deal with him the following year. If not we move him for a player or a pick either this year or next. There's nothing wrong with stockpiling an extra #1 next year either.

Just a thought, the Redskins just gave Ladell Betts a big extension...maybe they'd part with Portis ina deal for Clements. Kind of the Champ Bailey deal in reverse.

I agree with you that he will cost a fortune, but the Bills have so much cap space that signing him would barely make a dent, and can only help us in the W/L standings.

That's the mind set we have to avoid. There's nothing wrong with saving a little cap space from year to year. If we don't spend it all in the off season we can extend Evans or Losman or McGahee during the year and absorb the hit this season and preserve more of our cap space for next season. Don't spend money just because you can, it has to mean something.

Steinbach has played the left side, we really need someone who's played the right side more. Yes, it is different.

That's the mind set we have to avoid. There's nothing wrong with saving a little cap space from year to year. If we don't spend it all in the off season we can extend Evans or Losman or McGahee during the year and absorb the hit this season and preserve more of our cap space for next season. Don't spend money just because you can, it has to mean something.

Steinbach has played the left side, we really need someone who's played the right side more. Yes, it is different.

In any other season I would tend to fully agree with you wrt cap space. This year, we are said to have what, 36 million? This is before other cuts such as Anderson that are sure to come.

Giving Clements or Steinbach a 20 million dollar signing bonus would barely put a dent in 36 plus million in cap space after the bonus is pro-rated. Ralph spending this money and these guys wanting to play here are of course other issues.

I do like your suggestion to lock up Evans and JP long term, and agree that now (if possible) is the time.

Kevin Curtis - Rams WR

Familiar with Steve Fairchild.

His numbers dipped considerably from 2005 to 2006 due to playing time behind Issac Bruce. (last year Bruce missed a few games).

His dip in numbers may make him a little more affordable.

In my opinion, he would be a perfect compliment to Lee Evans.

Maybe the only downside is he isn't the protypical "big" receiver. He is only 5'11" 186lbs.

From FFMastermind.com:

I couldn't think of a player I would want less. A #3 reciever on a team that throws the ball all over the field. This guy does nothing to seperate himself from Peerless, Josh Reed, or Roscoe Parrish.