San Diego has a ZERO chance at making the bowl....

The Marty Schottenheimer Factor.....

This guy cant win playoff games to save his life! Most of his playoff L's come from underdog teams.

Sorry to say but I think New England (Lucky calls from blowjob Refs) or Baltimore (That D) puts the hammer on them... I would like to see them win the bowl through. Great work and job to A. J. Smith! Hope he calls Ralph if they win it all and farts in the phone for letting him go...

NFL coaching career

His professional coaching career began in 1974 when he became linebackers coach for the Portland Storm of the World Football League. In 1975 he was hired as a linebackers coach for the New York Giants and in 1977 became defensive coordinator. Schottenheimer spent the 1978 and 1979 as the linebackers coach for the Detroit Lions.

Cleveland Browns

In 1980, he was hired as the defensive coordinator for the Cleveland Browns. Schottenheimer became Cleveland's head coach midway through the 1984 season, replacing fired head coach Sam Rutigliano. Schottenheimer would remain with the Browns until 1988, amassing 44-27 (.620) regular-season record and a 2-4 (.333) mark in the playoffs, including four playoff appearances, three AFC Central Division titles, and two trips to the AFC Championship Game.

Kansas City Chiefs

Schottenheimer spent 10 seasons as head coach of the Kansas City Chiefs from 1989 to 1998 recording an impressive 101-58-1 regular season record (.634) including seven playoff appearances and three division titles. After a disappointing 7-9 season in 1998, Schotterheimer resigned as Chiefs head coach on January 11, 1999.

Washington Redskins

After working as a football analyst for ESPN from 1999 to 2000, Marty was hired as head coach of the Washington Redskins for the 2001 season. In a controversial move, Daniel Snyder, the owner of the Redskins, fired Schottenheimer on January 13, 2002 after just one 8-8 season to make room for former University of Florida head coach Steve Spurrier. Spurrier's own tenure with the Redskins was unsuccessful and he resigned in December 2003 after posting two losing seasons.

San Diego Chargers

The San Diego Chargers hired Schottenheimer as their 13th head coach on January 29, 2002. Schottenheimer has posted a 33-31 record (.516) with the Chargers including a playoff appearance, his 12th as a head coach, in 2004. In the wildcard round game played on January 8, 2005, the Chargers were upset by the underdog New York Jets 20-17 after going into sudden death overtime.

On January 14, 2005, the Chargers announced that they had signed Schottenheimer to a two year contract extension running through the end of the 2007 season.

Schottenheimer has led his teams to the playoffs 12 times, more than any other active NFL coach. He is tied for third (along with Chuck Noll and Bud Grant) in most playoff appearances by an NFL head coach since 1960. Only Don Shula (19) and Tom Landry (18) have led their teams to more playoff appearances.

However, Schottenheimer's success in the regular season combined with his disappointing record in post-season play has led some pundits to label him as a coach who "can't win in the playoffs." The January 8, 2005 loss to the Jets brought his career playoff record to 5-12 (.294). In his 12 post-season appearances, Schottenheimer's teams have failed to win a playoff game eight times and a Schottenheimer coached team has not won a playoff game since the 1993 season.

This guy cant win playoff games to save his life! Most of his playoff L's come from underdog teams.

Sorry to say but I think New England (Lucky calls from blowjob Refs) or Baltimore (That D) puts the hammer on them... I would like to see them win the bowl through. Great work and job to A. J. Smith! Hope he calls Ralph if they win it all and farts in the phone for letting him go...

NFL coaching career

His professional coaching career began in 1974 when he became linebackers coach for the Portland Storm of the World Football League. In 1975 he was hired as a linebackers coach for the New York Giants and in 1977 became defensive coordinator. Schottenheimer spent the 1978 and 1979 as the linebackers coach for the Detroit Lions.

Cleveland Browns

In 1980, he was hired as the defensive coordinator for the Cleveland Browns. Schottenheimer became Cleveland's head coach midway through the 1984 season, replacing fired head coach Sam Rutigliano. Schottenheimer would remain with the Browns until 1988, amassing 44-27 (.620) regular-season record and a 2-4 (.333) mark in the playoffs, including four playoff appearances, three AFC Central Division titles, and two trips to the AFC Championship Game.

Kansas City Chiefs

Schottenheimer spent 10 seasons as head coach of the Kansas City Chiefs from 1989 to 1998 recording an impressive 101-58-1 regular season record (.634) including seven playoff appearances and three division titles. After a disappointing 7-9 season in 1998, Schotterheimer resigned as Chiefs head coach on January 11, 1999.

Washington Redskins

After working as a football analyst for ESPN from 1999 to 2000, Marty was hired as head coach of the Washington Redskins for the 2001 season. In a controversial move, Daniel Snyder, the owner of the Redskins, fired Schottenheimer on January 13, 2002 after just one 8-8 season to make room for former University of Florida head coach Steve Spurrier. Spurrier's own tenure with the Redskins was unsuccessful and he resigned in December 2003 after posting two losing seasons.

San Diego Chargers

The San Diego Chargers hired Schottenheimer as their 13th head coach on January 29, 2002. Schottenheimer has posted a 33-31 record (.516) with the Chargers including a playoff appearance, his 12th as a head coach, in 2004. In the wildcard round game played on January 8, 2005, the Chargers were upset by the underdog New York Jets 20-17 after going into sudden death overtime.

On January 14, 2005, the Chargers announced that they had signed Schottenheimer to a two year contract extension running through the end of the 2007 season.

Schottenheimer has led his teams to the playoffs 12 times, more than any other active NFL coach. He is tied for third (along with Chuck Noll and Bud Grant) in most playoff appearances by an NFL head coach since 1960. Only Don Shula (19) and Tom Landry (18) have led their teams to more playoff appearances.

However, Schottenheimer's success in the regular season combined with his disappointing record in post-season play has led some pundits to label him as a coach who "can't win in the playoffs." The January 8, 2005 loss to the Jets brought his career playoff record to 5-12 (.294). In his 12 post-season appearances, Schottenheimer's teams have failed to win a playoff game eight times and a Schottenheimer coached team has not won a playoff game since the 1993 season.

All this means nothing. What happened in the past with other teams is meaningless now. Past history is not a predictor of future performance.

NFL coaching career

Cleveland Browns

Kansas City Chiefs

Washington Redskins

San Diego Chargers

I think you're right. New England is a huge hurdle to get over. Tom Brady is not someone I'd want to play in the playoffs. Even though my Broncos beat them last year. And Baltimore can beat anyone if they get an early lead. It's up to Phillip Rivers and he's got a bumb ankle. Rivers is playing well. But the Bolts defense has given up a lot of points in a lot of games.

If they lose people are going to be calling for Marty's head.

All this means nothing. What happened in the past with other teams is meaningless now. Past history is not a predictor of future performance.

I agree 100%.

Besides which NE isn't even going to get past the jests this weekend. They will lose and it will not be close and I will be happy. Then the next week the jests will lose and my happiness will return.

NFL coaching career

Cleveland Browns

Kansas City Chiefs

Washington Redskins

San Diego Chargers

Wrong. The Chargers have LT. You can't stop LT.

I'm sure that's what they said in Cleveland, then Kansas City, Washington, and San Diego.

Just a worthless stat.

I agree that the past and his past teams are no comparison to this team.

That being said, the Ravens definitely have the best chance of shutting down LT and beating the Bolts.

The Marty Schottenheimer Factor.....The Marty Schottenheimer Factor.....

Come on people. Back in the 60's & 70's they said the same thing about Tom Laundry & the Cowgirls. In the late 80's & 90's they said the same thing about Elway. The Marty Schottenheimer Factor..... or The Peyton Manning Factor are nonsense. You could say the same thing about the Bills and Kelly. Marty Schottenheimer is a very good coach. He has taken two teams to the AFC Champoinship game a total of three times and has taken his teams to the playoffs 13times and has a 191-136-1 record. Don't you wish we had "The Marty Schottenheimer Factor.....". I would take that win record and playoffs over the last two guys.

J Hoesteller won Trent Dilfer won and they are below average QB's. So stop with the he'll never win the big one.

IMO, it will be a shocking upset if SD doesn't go to the SB. Baltimore completely underwhelms me. The Chargers should have beaten them (in B'more) earlier this season and they won't lose a rematch in SD.

New England may not even get past the Jets. If Indy manages to get past KC, they will beat Baltimore. LT vs. the Colts' defense? Mismatch central.

Schottenheimer has certainly managed to grasp defeat from the jaws of victory in playoffs past, but I think this is a different team and a different Marty.

You guys realize that the Pats are the biggest favorite of all the favored teams this weekend, correct?

You do realize that that doesn't mean jackdiddlysquatpoo, correct?

If you resided in the great state of Texas, instead of confusion, I would bet you a homemade BBQ dinner topped off with peach cobbler on this one.

Jets 27

Pats 20

You guys realize that the Pats are the biggest favorite of all the favored teams this weekend, correct?

Which always guarantees a victory. :rolleyes:

First of all, I said "may." Do you dispute that NE is a much weaker team than in years past and that perhaps -- just perhaps -- the betting line is skewed by memories of these previous teams? Additionally, I do believe the Pats lost to these very Jets -- on their home field -- a month and a half ago.

It's not as crazy a statement as you seem to suggest.

young QBs making their first appearance in the playoffs usually struggle

I think they win a game but I dont see them beating Baltimore

Only if you put the game in the young QBs hands. If you let the QB manage the game and use your Running game, and play sound Defense and STs, you can win the superbowl.

The Ravens have quite a bit of flaws in their passing game. Their running game while good is not exceptional. The Bills exposed quite a bit of both during that season finale.

Considering that the Ravens have to go to San Diego to play that game will make it extra hard.

Additionally, I do believe the Pats lost to these very Jets -- on their home field -- a month and a half ago.

I would feel much better about the Jets in this game if they didn't crush NE in Foxboro last month. That alone will spur the Pats to absolutely crush them. Trust me, Billy Boy did not take kindly to losing to his pupil.

Didn't the Bills hammer these very Jets -- on their home field -- less than a month ago? The Jets and their 4-yard passing attack is pathetic.

Patriots 27

Jets 13

I love me some peach cobbler...