Go Boise State......

Lv-Bills

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A college playoff would never consist of more than four teams, and a Boise State would always be left out. Be careful what you wish for.

This is about the dumbest reason for a playoff I've ever heard. When they started the NCAA basketball tourney, did they have 65 teams back then? Do all of the other playoffs have only 4 teams? NO.

The morons, who are all the presidents, are slowly losing ground on the ancient bowl system. No one cares about 3/4 of the bowls. No one goes to 3/4 of the games, and certainly, most of those 6-6 teams don't deserve to be there.

The playoff would start modest, and then it would expand, and would blow the BBall tourney out of the water. Because after all, football is football.

The first 44 posts of this thread talked about what an incredible game the Fiesta Bowl was, including some posters calling it the greatest game they have ever seen.

The next 39 posts debate the current bowl system and why we need a playoff.

I can easily argue that the BCS is working just fine and the result is exactly what the NCAA wants it to be- great games and constant conversation about college football.

Great game, great bowl. Too bad that Boise State will not get a shot to play for the National Championship, but its partially their fault - if they would have scheduled better competition, they possibly could have.

Schedules are made years in advance. I think that Boise deserves half the title at least if UF beats OSU. In reality, each team only plays a few tough teams per season, OSU played a UT team that definitely wasn't the same team in the middle of the season and a Michigan team that was a pretender.

Great game, great bowl. Too bad that Boise State will not get a shot to play for the National Championship, but its partially their fault - if they would have scheduled better competition, they possibly could have.

Except they really couldn't. Most NC games scheduled by large conferences (Big 10, SEC, etc) are against lesser opponents within the same region. In fact, Boise St's strongest non-conference opponent, Oregon St, defeated USC. Besides Oregon, the Pacific NW doesn't currently have too many strong college football teams.

I don't know how many people were watching BSU at 1:00 am on the east coast. I'm glad I was.

What a great fugging game! Most exciting game I've ever seen! Thanks to my being in the Coast Guard, we didn't have to work today, so I got to stay up late and watch it. Awesome!

Coming from a fan in Big Ten country, I'm surprised to hear you say this Simon...I went to a PAC 10 school and if the national title is not up for grabs, it is Rose Bowl, Rose Bowl, Rose Bowl. The thought of playing in Pasadena on New Year's Day consumes the entire program. I am under the impression that it is the same in the Big Ten as well. You constantly hear guys like Herbstreit who went to Ohio State reference the passion felt for a Big Ten-Pac 10 Rose Bowl. Certainly, with the bowl re-allignments, the game may have lost some of the luster. I just find it hard to believe that Michigan simply didn't care.

For a program that has lost 3 of the last 4 Rose Bowls, and a coach under fire for not beating rivals in big games, you'd think they would've wanted to show up. Is it possible they did care, but they're just not that good?

I think they're good when they feel like they have something to play for but I also think they're relatively poorly coached and the loss to OSU really exposed that weakness.

As for the allure of the Rose Bowl I've always felt that it was viewed very differently by the two conferences. I always saw the Pac10 as being very motivated to play a strong game, wanting to defend their "home turf" and earn the respect of the Eastcoast media who often ignored them. On the other hand the Big10 never struck me as especially motivated by the game itself, instead viewing it as more of a vacation. The "real" football was played in conference and if you won your conference you were rewarded with a vacation in SouthernCali in the middle of an uppermidwest winter. I always got the sense that the Pac10 teams viewed it as the goal while the Big10 teams viewed it as just a reward. Over the last decade+ I think that the game itself has indeed lost a lot of its luster as colleges move away from the outdated bowl system and closer to a more relevant playoff. In this case I think the competitive portion of Michigan's season ended when they lost to the Buckeyes and that they were pretty disinterested in anything that happened on the field after that. Rose Bowl week was an excuse for them to get out of a Michigan winter and party in sunny California. I'm not taking anything away from USC who I think has a better squad than those overrated "national championship" teams of the past few years. But if those two teams went at it in a meaningful elimination game I think we'd have seen a much better dogfight.

Cya

I think they're good when they feel like they have something to play for but I also think they're relatively poorly coached and the loss to OSU really exposed that weakness.

As for the allure of the Rose Bowl I've always felt that it was viewed very differently by the two conferences. I always saw the Pac10 as being very motivated to play a strong game, wanting to defend their "home turf" and earn the respect of the Eastcoast media who often ignored them. On the other hand the Big10 never struck me as especially motivated by the game itself, instead viewing it as more of a vacation. The "real" football was played in conference and if you won your conference you were rewarded with a vacation in SouthernCali in the middle of an uppermidwest winter.

Makes sense.

If they do view their trip to Pasadena as a vacation, you have to lay the blame on Carr. No doubt, you should allow your 20-year old players to enjoy their West Coast trip and the spectacle of a big-time bowl game, but a good coach will treat it as a business trip, sprinkled with some pleasure...not vice versa. While they played very well against Texas in the Rose but couldn't handle Vince Young, their other two performances against USC have both been poor efforts.

I think with the team he has returning, and a home game vs. Ohio State, UM has to give Carr one more year. Another loss to OSU next year, or another lay down job in a bowl game, will spell the end for Lloyd.

No, they would have been defeated if they played a USC, Florida, or Ohio State. There is no shame at all in the season they had, and the fact that they finished unbeaten.

The only reason people want a tournament is for entertainment value. Those people care nothing for the schools or players involved

that's just why i want a playoff system (16 teams being the best IMO) just to make people like you just shut up!! Boise State is unbeaten , has beaten the Big12 Champs and we have to read those "they'd get killed by USC 43-0"... you know what ? That's all those Broncos 'd like : to play vs the big boys to see if they are not the best team in the nation. Give them that one chance!!! And if Florida beat OSU i know who are MY national Champs: The Broncos of Boise State!

Then why don't they schedule some of those "big boys" teams during their regular season? I am all for an NCAA playoff, but this game does not make the case for it. Yes, these guys did something special, BUT Oklahoma ain't all that. The only reason they got into the Big 12 championship to begin with is Colt McCoy got injured early in the Longhorns second to the last game and didn't recover in time for the last game. Otherwise, they would have been playing some second tier bowl game.

If Boise State wants a shot at the national title, then they need to play with the Big Boys during the season, instead of playing low-level competition all season, going undefeated and claiming they should have a shot at the national title game as a result.

Having said that, I loved the fact they beat Stoops and the Sooners. I am ROTFLMAO still over that game.

If Boise State wants a shot at the national title, then they need to play with the Big Boys during the season, instead of playing low-level competition all season, going undefeated and claiming they should have a shot at the national title game as a result.

I actually hadn't heard them lobbying at all for a shot at the title. I heard interviews with both the coach and the QB, and each said that while they would love the opportunity to play the winner of OSU-Florida, they did the best with the hand they were dealt. Both mentioned that they were extremely pleased with the Fiesta Bowl, they were treated great, and they were proud to beat a great program like Oklahoma. I think they both know there were 10 or 15 other teams who would've been undefeated if they played Boise's schedule, so they weren't playing the "We beat everybody so we're champions" card.

I thought they represented their conference well in a big time bowl game, and earned a huge payout. They beat everyone they lined up across from this year, even if the schedule wasn't the best. No clammoring for a playoff, no begging for a shot at Ohio State- just happiness with ending an undefeated season as Fiesta Bowl champs. What's wrong with that? Isn't that better than being seeded 8th and losing 55-17 to Ohio State in the 1st round of some playoff?

Since a few here are pining for ICE, maybe another OU fan (and '87 grad) will do.

I have to admit it is one of the most memorable games of all time, but it sure isn't the best. Games of the Century are remembered as a two-titan dance, not a freak show with a mid-major upstart against OU's second weakest squad in eight years (anybody remember how OU could barely handle UAB in September? :w00t:). This game belongs with the other freak shows of improbable endings - the Flutie game, Cal/Stanford, Nebraska's off-the-foot TD reception against Missouri, Kordell Stewart's 50 yard bomb against Michigan; maybe Ohio State's "thanks, ref!" 2002 title win.

Texas-USC, Miami-Penn State, '71 OU-Nebraska...those are the ones deserving to be on the mantle.

Those people care nothing for the schools or players involved

come on Adam not that old "playoffs mean too many games, those kids have to study" argument!!!! In Div 3 they have real playoffs with teams made with real students (no scholarships) !

Playoffs are good for the fans, the players and the schools , the only losers of those playoffs 'd be those average 6-6 teams from the big conferences.

Isn't that better than being seeded 8th and losing 55-17 to Ohio State in the 1st round of some playoff?

yeah right,and you were probably one of those guys that bet on OU to win by 3 TDS...

JUST GIVE THE BOISE STATES of this World a Chance!! You can go forever with your "would have", "if" and "should have", there is a reason games are played. Boise Stae will not be the National Champs while they have won all their games, You can spin it anyway you want but the result will be the same: THIS IS NOT FAIR.