Can Bills Draft Jarrett from USC?

truth on hold

love to see Bills get their hands on the big/tall receiver they desperately need. the current group of smurfs only shine when everything thing goes as perfectly planned. a tall/physical receiver like jarrett with good hands is ALWAYS open. rule of thumb is WRs don't get taken high in the draft so with the bills drafting somewhere near the middle this time, i wonder if anyone knows where jarrett falls. I mean just look at how important the 6'5" 230 rookie WR colston has been for saints this year. i say draft the receiver and build the line through free agency... WRs can have an impact right away and the road is littlered with first round OLine busts (tony mandarich, gallery, our own mike williams, etc etc). anyone see a projection of the 2007 draft? i know it's early but maybe someone like kiper has put something together.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like him, but then again look at Maurice Stovall. He is huge and was picked early.

I loved Martin Nance, but I guess Marv didn't see him fit to make the team.

yeah but let's be fair, Jarrett has much more skills and much better hands then Stovall. And please, never compare Jarrett to Martin Nance again.

Jarrett reminds me of a Plixico Burress.

Jarrett would be a good pick, even though he has some behavior issues. I think he will take some to time to develop, like the Steelers' Holmes, but I would think he goes late 1st, early 2nd. There are two good WRs to go ahead of him (Ga. Tech's Johnson and ND's guy with the hard to spell name). It would be great if the Bills could grab him top second. Maybe trade up.

You can't carry 2 number one Wr's long term these days unless you plan on being thin elsewhere. I also think the Bills are pretty happy with their corps right now. Along with Evans, Price and Reed have come to be reliable in the clutch as evidenced by their 2nd half performances, along with an up and coming slot option in Parrish. I love Stovall and Jarret as Wr's but I'd rather have a Gates than a Plaxico at this point too.

love to see Bills get their hands on the big/tall receiver they desperately need. the current group of smurfs only shine when everything thing goes as perfectly planned. a tall/physical receiver like jarrett with good hands is ALWAYS open. rule of thumb is WRs don't get taken high in the draft so with the bills drafting somewhere near the middle this time, i wonder if anyone knows where jarrett falls. I mean just look at how important the 6'5" 230 rookie WR colston has been for saints this year. i say draft the receiver and build the line through free agency... WRs can have an impact right away and the road is littlered with first round OLine busts (tony mandarich, gallery, our own mike williams, etc etc). anyone see a projection of the 2007 draft? i know it's early but maybe someone like kiper has put something together.

Assuming Calvin Johnson comes out, as well as Jarrett as both are juniors, Dwayne should be the 2nd WR off the board. In looking at recent drafts this is where the 2nd WRs were taken in recent drafts:

Round Pick Player Name Team College

2 36 Chad Jackson Patriots Florida

1 7 Troy Williamson Vikings South Carolina

1 7 Roy Williams Lions Texas

1 3 Andre Johnson Texans Miami (FL)

1 19 Ashley Lelie Broncos Hawaii

1 15 Rod Gardner Redskins Clemson

1 8 Plaxico Burress Steelers Michigan State

As evident WRs do get taken early but rarely do they make impacts as rookie. As much as I want Jarrett, he's my alternative choice if don't get Justin Blalock, to expect him to make an impact as a rookie is asking a lot. Either way I think if we end up picking in the 15-17 range as things seem to be going he could out of our reach. Of course we might have a shot at Jeff Samardzija and Dwayne Bowe who also have size with our top pick if miss out on Jarrett. Of course a lot depends on what we do in free agency mainly at LB and CB. I feel if we lose either Fletcher or Clements then our top pick should go to replacing either one with Patrick Willis and Buster Davis at the top of my lists at MLB and Leon Hall, Darrelle Revis, Marcus McCauley and Antoine Cason among the list of CB candidates.

I like how every time these draft discussions come up, advocate of position A will point to John Jones who plays position B who was a 1st round bust or a late round steal.

I mean Colston worked out, good for the Saints. I'm not necessarily set on taking a WR, but it seems to me that the % of WR's who are really good who were 1st round picks are about as high as any other position.

Perhaps we should just sign an undrafted FA from Texas A&M to fill the DT void?

It seems like a fairly straightforward "take the best available player" draft to me with as many holes as we have.

As of now, Jarrett is projected for the middle of round 1, right where we would be picking. I dont know how Marv would feel about Jarrett's attitude and "play when I want to" mentality, but there's no doubt he's what we need.

I dont think we need him to start and make a huge impact as a rookie. He can be more of a situational player his first year such as in the red zone. I always worry about players coming to the cold weather but I think he is from NJ so that shouldnt be a big deal.

Like everyone has said so far, it will all depend on free agency.

which pretty much guarantees it won't happen

Good point. Another key thing to remember in my mind is all mocks are pretty much worthless until after the Combine -- especially for the WR position. Outside of QB, I can't think of a position where the Combine matters more than WR.

There could be three or four "surprises" at the Combine that push Jarrett, Samarja (sp) way down. Or, Jarrett could have an amazing Combine and boost his stock to a top 10 pick.

You just never know.

As of now, Jarrett is projected for the middle of round 1, right where we would be picking. I dont know how Marv would feel about Jarrett's attitude and "play when I want to" mentality, but there's no doubt he's what we need.

I dont think we need him to start and make a huge impact as a rookie. He can be more of a situational player his first year such as in the red zone. I always worry about players coming to the cold weather but I think he is from NJ so that shouldnt be a big deal.

after jarretts 200+ yards, 2 TD, offensive MVP performance in the rose bowl i just hope he doesn't go sooner than 12! good thing is the performance makes me that much more certain he would be great for the bills, bad news is his stock in the draft just went way up!

:oops:

he's from new jersey, he'd feel right back home playing in the northeast! don't forget he wanted to go to Notre Dame which is certainly a cold weather city too. also gotta luv a guy who plays with a chip on his shoulder, he'll always be motivated to show ND the mistake they made passing on him!

Bigger holes to fill. DT, OL. LB, CB. He would be a nice pick if we had 2 #1s. It seems that theres a wr drafted later that makes an impact each year. Colston this yr.

bills simply gotta put more points on the board. the only AFC teams they out scored were cellar dwellar dolphins, browns, texans and raiders. gotta give losman a new option to go to in a tall receiver. not going to make the playoffs when you don't score points.

here's hoping 2007 brings jarrett to buffalo.

:oops: