Retiring soon and want a bar in my new house...

USMCBillsFan

Ok, so I'm going to be retiring in a little over a year from the Marines. I will be building my house in Pennsylvania in the mountains of Perry county near Carlisle. I want to have a completely finished basement for me... But in this basement I'm going to have a gym, a rec area with a pool table and darts and I want a bar. I've seen some different designs online but I don't really care for them. I want something just like a real bar. I'm just curious if anyone has one in their home and if you have any suggestions. I would like shelves for booze and also a tap system. I'm thinking a kegerator type thing built into the bar. I also want hot and cold running water and mirrors on the back wall.

I know we have quite the melting pot of folks here so any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

I've seen two kick-butt home bars. One was a Tiki Bar that a friend built onto the back of his house in the pool area. That's not going to work for the hills of PA. The other was a my college roommate's house in Bethlehem PA. His dad was one of those carpenter types that was into this. The cool thing was the staircase to the basement and the bar-top were made from the wood of the same tree. It had these natural lines that really accented the whole decor. I guess what I really took from this is that an S-shaped bar is the way to go for your rec room (if you have the space).

Good luck and make sure you post pictures of the finished product.

ok, who da hell is going to living with you in dem der Pennsultucky mountains that you will be toasting with such regularity that you need a tap system????

JSP. Although with Joe it won't be toasting, it'll be drowning his sorrows after every Bills game.

Just read an article in this month's FHM (with Vida on the cover) about what to include in a home bar.

Part of the article

Try to find it at your local big box book store (Borders/B&N) and read some of their suggestions.

I have that issue. I checked that website they listed in there. There are some pretty decent ones in there but they are really limited for choices in a home bar system....

One thing you should do is check out contractors who do demolition work. You might be able to find an old bar removed from a closed gin joint. Nothing would be sweeter than having a bar that's already broken in. You might have to cut it down to size, but you can handle that.

Whatever you do, make sure you have the brass foot rail.

One thing you should do is check out contractors who do demolition work. You might be able to find an old bar removed from a closed gin joint. Nothing would be sweeter than having a bar that's already broken in. You might have to cut it down to size, but you can handle that.

Whatever you do, make sure you have the brass foot rail.

That's what we did in college. Got a sweet bar with the minor headache of installation only....and I second the brass foot rail. A definite must.

I built this keg system for my garage and hockey team events. (It has wheels and is movable).

The Beerhound

Putting in a keg tap system isn't too difficult...although with a tower, you will need a blower to keep cool air circulating near the end of your lines. Other options include using a chest freezer (like I did), keeping it in another room and running your lines using a glycol pump cooling system to keep the beer cold.