A little love for TD again from Mort

ganesh

Kyle (raleigh, NC): Gibbs has said he's open to potentially hiring a GM this offseason. Do you think this will happen? I'd love for them to grab Tom Donahue, think they'd be a potent combination considering how his picks in Buffalo are panning out.

Chris Mortensen: (11:27 AM ET ) Yeah, if anybody is looking for a great personnel guy, Donohoe is a great pick-up. The Bills' roster is full of talent and promise for the future if the owner will re-sign the right guys.

Brad (NM): Hey Mort..what was your take on Jauron not kicking the field goal completely ending all our fans hopes of going to the postseason? Heavy wind or not I think you have to try that field goal.

Chris Mortensen: (11:58 AM ET ) I thought he had to try it, even though I was not in the stadium Sunday

The comment on the kick should indicate the stupidity level of Mort. Should Tiger Woods try to drive the 575 yard par 5 with a lake in front because he is 3 shots down and needs to double eagle? That kick was impossible in the literal sense of the word.

I do love the set up for taking more shots at Wilson this winter. "If the owner re-signs the right guys." Of course Mort can define which guys are the "right ones" later after seeing who stays and who goes.

Mort is a loser.

TD's picks are a big part of the young core of this team (Losman, Evans, McGahee, Schoebel, Crowell, Peters, McGee). I don't think TD deserves a bashing as much for picking good players, his main problem was not picking the right coach and his heavy handed approach to the job. He does deserve some props for what seems like a good young group of guys that are coming into their own now.

TD's picks are a big part of the young core of this team (Losman, Evans, McGahee, Schoebel, Crowell, Peters, McGee). I don't think TD deserves a bashing as much for picking good players, his main problem was not picking the right coach and his heavy handed approach to the job. He does deserve some props for what seems like a good young group of guys that are coming into their own now.

Add in the fact that he let particular players leave (Winfield, Pat Williams, et al) and then tried to address the OL by signing low-end, mediocre free agents and hoped McNally could whip them into shape.

I won't say that all of TD's picks were bad or even below average. He did make some good and bad moves on draft day. Above average? Below average? That's hard to say really. You can't knock him for Mike Williams; many teams would have taken him at 4. The lack of other high OL picks is a valid criticism IMO. He should get credit for Nate, McGee, etc. The Bledsoe trade turned out poorly.

The problem I have is that the locker room tone set during his tenure was a disaster. The team was completely out of control in 2005 and was a wreck by the end of the season. What Marv and Jauron did this year was remarkable. They turned that disaster into a team. BTW, some of their picks fared quite well for rookies. Mort basically implies that TD built the Bills and they will be great if Ralph doesn't screw it up. Nothing could be further from the truth. I can't see any way 2006 would have turned out this way with TD still here.

TD's problem was that he was the president and GM so he had to make a good team and sell tickets. The best way to do that is hire up and coming cordinators and draft day splash deals like bledsoe mcgahee and losman. the problem was he forgot about making the o line and defense in general better. so ya he brouight in good players but also a lot of luxeries we really didnt need parrish everret and BAD coaches. Which is why hes looking for work and marv is out of retirement

The current regime's first draft doesn't look too shabby. Not the "boom or bust" type of players that TD favored, but so far they look pretty solid. I agree with you on TD's heavy handed approach. Seems completely opposite of Marv's consensus approach.

The head coach is the #1 most important choice a GM makes, and as you stated TD didn't do a good job at that, and that's why he is not the Bills GM anymore. Personnel-wise, he was at least decent, and certainly not worthy of ridicule. He made some blunders, but if you have good coaching you don't need a flawless personnel department. The problem is that his detractors tried to point at everything he did as a flaw, and that gives dopes like Mortensen grounds to defend Donahoe.

Chris Mortensen: (11:27 AM ET ) Yeah, if anybody is looking for a great personnel guy, Donohoe is a great pick-up. The Bills' roster is full of talent and promise for the future if the owner will re-sign the right guys. [/i]

Mort, I couldn't help but notice how you refer to him as a "good personnel guy" and not "a good GM." Thanks for sliding that under the radar. I hope he does go to Washington as I'd be curious as to how the fans will react when he's sitting upstairs with his binoculars, pointing out to security all the negative signs he wants removed from the stadium.

Brad (NM): Hey Mort..what was your take on Jauron not kicking the field goal completely ending all our fans hopes of going to the postseason? Heavy wind or not I think you have to try that field goal.

Chris Mortensen: (11:58 AM ET ) I thought he had to try it, even though I was not in the stadium Sunday

I was in the stadium Sunday, sitting at about the 10-yard line in that end. I saw Bironas' kick hit an invisible brick wall at the goal line and just barely scrape over the crossbar, and I knew damn well Jauron would be nuts to send Lindell out there. It would have taken a Christmas miracle for him to make that kick.

So there, Mort. :thumbsup:

For what it is worth, my friend's dad is one of the assistant equipment managers with the bills. He has been with the team for 4 years now. He has told me on more then one occasion how it is night & day with Levy running the show compared to TD. He said when TD was running the show, the whole organization was on pins & needles, his word was the law, that TD would walk into the room & the room would immediately go silent. He said with Levy it is much better. Levy is concerned with trying to make every aspect of the organization a better place, getting insight from guys like Modrak all the way down to the janitors on how to make the organization a more efficiently run place.

I think TDs downfall in the end was that he was too power hungry. It ended up costing him his job.

Finally, some sanity. Life isn't black and white, and neither should people's assessement of TD be. It's undeniable that his picks ARE panning out, and will form the core of this team's future.