Lindell reportedly re-signed

BONUS IN BILLS

Bills kicker Rian Lindell failed to get the chance to boot a game-winning field goal against Tennessee, but he did score in another way.

Rian Lindell has connected on at least 83 percent of his FGs in the past three seasons.

Lindell and the Bills reached agreement on a five-year contract extension worth about $10 million dollars, with somewhere in the vicinity of $3.5 million of it guaranteed.

Lindell has had a strong season for the Bills, kicking five field goals during the loss to the Titans. He has connected on 23 of 25 field goals this season, as well as all 32 extra points.

Just as important, he has performed well in adverse weather conditions. Now the Bills have insured that Lindell will be attempting the same job in future seasons.

NFL network link

I think it's just a way to spread the bonus over the length of the contract.

I dunno, kickers can fall apart in the blink of an eye.  Lindell's good, but FIVE YEARS?  Seems excessive.

878681[/snapback]

Anyone else wondering if Lindell was thinking about the ongoing negotiations when Jauron asked him if he could make that end-of-game kick?

Just askin'...

YES! For sure... I think I even made a reamark in an earlier thread about the shoulda-been kick!

Kinda amazing that they would release the terms NOW... I even joked how it may appear to be a conspiro thingy...

DJ asks RL to go out there and win the game... RL comes back and says: "Sorry coach, it is 9 ft. out of my range for today :doh: ... You know the wind... NO CAN DO!... Sorry Big Guy."

:P

Well Lindell has been a great kicker this year and last...so if it's true I like this move by the Bills. Now I hope a miracle happens and we re-sign Nate.

The other thing to take into consideration if one takes a more in-depth reaction to things is that while I would only call him a very good rather than a great kicker the last two years (the game situations the team has placed itself in as a losing team simply limits him to very good performance rather than a Vinateri like great performance), I think that despite folks calling loudly for him to be cut in 2004 he actually was a good kicker that year who improved his game to be very good the last two years.

A couple of the things I like the most about the Lindell kicking game is that his kickoffs go where they are supposed to go at the proper height and direction and this has been a key to superlative kickpff coverage under April.

The winds at the Ralph a few times a season have the effect that they had last weekend of impacting the game outcome with the FG game. These high profile efforts are often the sole issue many fans use for judging a kicker.

However, game in and game out the final total is somewhat or significantly influenced by how the PK does his kickoff work and Lindell has almost always excelled at this job.

The other thing i like about his work is that not only does he do what he is supposed to on kickoffs, but he is even an offensive weapon on onside kicks. I give him lead credit for the win against Miami 2 years ago where the team sprinted out to a lead, but was giving it up to Miami's Sammy Morris led effort. A D stop to begin the second half when we would be kicking off seemed critical to determining this game and given Morris has rushed for over 80 yards in the first half it looked tough.

Lindell and April not only pulled off a surprise onside kick to get the ball, but Lindell kicked it with the appropriate pace and distance that he made the recovery himself with the ball traveling the requisite 10 yards for his own recovery before any Bill made contact with a Fish even to block (which would have nullified the kick if they had done so).

This year, the Bills got robbed when Lindell pulled off a masterful mid range chip shot over the wedge but before the deep return guys that a Bill recieved, but the refs "found" a half-hearted wave from a downfield Jet with zero chance of even touching the kick much less recieve it to be a fair catch call.

Though I would not call Lindell great because his stunningly low amount of even having a chance at a game-winning kick is too small and his miss of a true chip shot against Pitts a few years ago deny him that cred.

However, he clearly has rebounded from this horrendous miss to be the very good kicker that we need and I am pleased that the Bills locked him up for what would seem like relative chump change in the big money world of the salary cap.

Lindell has been very good with the Bills, he has done very well at Ralph Wilson stadium.

Besides, id rather have an honest kicker tell me the truth if he can make it or not.

Noway he makes that kick against the Titans to win that game. Bironas has one of the strongest legs in the game, look at the game he won on a kick that was a 60 yarder.

I think the field goal Bironas had over the weekend on the Bills was around 28 yards? I could be wrong, but I think I am right and the ball cleared the crossbar byt maybe a foot.

You honestly think Lindell makes a 40 yarder heading the same direction? NO! Its not a knock on Lindell at all, just noway Bironas or anyother kicker in the league makes that kick going in that direction!

From what Ive heard from other sources, in pregame kicking that direction neither kicker made it from 30 plus yards out....only kick made was the 28 yarder in the game by 1 foot.

Why is everyone so excited. I would like a kicker who is ready to go on the field and try to win the game for his team, regardless if he is three yards out of his comfort zone. He should have looked at the coaches on sunday and said "hell yeah I can make it, put me in." Instead he was indecisive and the team lost. He also missed a game winner at Indy. So I am a little disapointed that he would be held in such high regard.

Why is everyone so excited. I would like a kicker who is ready to go on the field and try to win the game for his team, regardless if he is three yards out of his comfort zone. He should have looked at the coaches on sunday and said "hell yeah I can make it, put me in." Instead he was indecisive and the team lost. He also missed a game winner at Indy. So I am a little disapointed that he would be held in such high regard.

I'm not sure what you mean regarding indecisive since they had already decided before the game that they would not kick for an FG if the wind remained as it did unless the ball was marked 3 yards further in. I think he would have been indecisive if he had advocated that the team reverse its earlier decision and instead do something else.

They decided and he and the team did not waffle and reverse that decision