Kicks into the wind yesterday at the Ralph

Kelly the Dog

FG tries go the SHORTEST, by far, as compared to kickoffs and punts. Here is the list of all kickoffs and punts into the wind yesterday:

PUNTS:

22 yards

40 yards

19 yards

37 yards

33 yards

KICKOFFS:

65 yards

61 yards

35 yards

34 yards

41 yards

The first two KOs in the first quarter went reasonably deep. The longest of the next eight punts or kickoffs went 41 yards. That, of course, does not count how straight they went. Lindell was not going to make that kick.

FG tries go the SHORTEST, by far, as compared to kickoffs and punts. Here is the list of all kickoffs and punts into the wind yesterday:

PUNTS:

22 yards

40 yards

19 yards

37 yards

33 yards

KICKOFFS:

65 yards

61 yards

35 yards

34 yards

41 yards

The first two KOs in the first quarter went reasonably deep. The longest of the next eight punts or kickoffs went 41 yards. That, of course, does not count how straight they went. Lindell was not going to make that kick.

877856[/snapback]

Fine. Then will someone explain to me how you expect a hail mary pass to make it into the wind when you only need 5 yards and have more than 40 seconds to do it?

Fine.  Then will someone explain to me how you expect a hail mary pass to make it into the wind when you only need 5 yards and have more than 40 seconds to do it?

877859[/snapback]

Not sure why so many people think the 4th down was a designed Hail Mary. It was a broken play - Losman got flushed to his right, then spun around and was running for his life. He threw it to the end zone in desperation after the original play was completely blown up.

Fine.  Then will someone explain to me how you expect a hail mary pass to make it into the wind when you only need 5 yards and have more than 40 seconds to do it?

877859[/snapback]

The play was not a Hail Mary. The play broke down, and he scrambled like a madman, could not possibly run for the first down with a Titan right on him when he threw it up for grabs. He gunned that ball as hard as he could and it didn't make the goal yard line. And Losman can throw it easily as far as Lindell can kick a FG.

The play was not a Hail Mary. The play broke down, and he scrambled like a madman, could not possibly run for the first down with a Titan right on him when he threw it up for grabs. He gunned that ball as hard as he could and it didn't make the 5 yard line. And Losman can throw it easily as far as Lindell can kick a FG.

877865[/snapback]

There were two receivers standing in the end zone, even AFTER Losman ran 15 yards backwards. How they got that far downfield, if they weren't meant to be there, is beyond me.

There were two receivers standing in the end zone, even AFTER Losman ran 15 yards backwards.  How they got that far downfield, if they weren't meant to be there, is beyond me.

877870[/snapback]

That's pretty simple to explain when there are five receivers out and Losman is scrambling like Fran Tarkenton and there were, by then, 40 seconds to go. Guys were running around like wild after he reversed his field.

That's pretty simple to explain when there are five receivers out and Losman is scrambling like Fran Tarkenton and there were, by then, 40 seconds to go. Guys were running around like wild after he reversed his field.

877872[/snapback]

I can't imagine them running further down field though... After he started running, they would have to be retarded to stay 40 yards away from him.

I can't imagine them running further down field though... After he started running, they would have to be retarded to stay 40 yards away from him.

877873[/snapback]

Well, one of them was Peerless, wasn't it? He's not an Academic All American. You're surely right though. They should all have been coming back to him to get the first down, with perhaps one doing a few moves to try to break it deep.

The forth down play didn't bother me as much as the 3rd down did.

They should have known what Lindell's distance was before the drive even started. Knowing that, they could have called something else on third down (even a running play) to get us a forth and short. My point is if the coaches would have planned ahead they could have adjusted the play calling to allow for 2 trys to get 5 yards. Instead of trying to get it all on 3rd down.

877873[/snapback]

It depends where on the field they where when he scrambles and what the scamble drill is. Normally if you are at the sideline close to the QB you turn up field, far away you come back, etc. It's probably more complicated in the NFL based on roll direction, coverage, game situation, etc, but that'll be why there are 2 guys deep.

I have seen the play - and the fundamental breakdown on the play was having 2 TE's attempt and fail to block a pass rusher on the outside. Look at the NFL.com highlights. You see most of the OL do a great job (damn Jason Peters schools his guy), but royal and then Ceislak just plain whiff.

The forth down play didn't bother me as much as the 3rd down did.

They should have known what Lindell's distance was before the drive even started. Knowing that, they could have called something else on third down (even a running play) to get us a forth and short. My point is if the coaches would have planned ahead they could have adjusted the play calling to allow for 2 trys to get 5 yards. Instead of trying to get it all on 3rd down.

877911[/snapback]

They did. Before the game he told them 42 yards was his limit, and the staff as a whole decided they were not going to kick it longer than 42. But they asked him and he basically said no, he couldn't make it. Going for it was the right call. The 4th down playcall had a lot to be desired, as well as the confusion on the field.

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20061...?tbd1056968.asp

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v246/big...nd20raiders.jpg

There is also the issue of Steve Christie's game-winning 48 yard FG in a driving December rainstorm in Foxboro(ugh) in 1999.

Just because people have kicked long field goals before doesn't mean we should have tried yesterday. You really think we had a better chance of getting the field goal than getting a first down and then kicking a shorter field goal? There was plenty of time on the clock.

The real problem wasn't going for it, the real problem was the bad play calling on 2nd and 3rd down and the indecision on 4th down.

(and by the way - at the pats game there was no wind. tons of snow, but it wasn't windy at all.)

877859[/snapback]

Kicked balls typically spin end-for-end. Thrown balls spiral along the long axis. A nice, tight spiral will be less affected by the wind than a ball tumbling end-for-end.

The real question is: why the hell would you throw it to the end zone on 4th and 5 with 41 seconds left? SDS is right in asking why TWO receivers were in the end zone, particularly when their QB was scrambling, particularly when 7 yards gets you the first down AND makes a FG 37 yards vs. 44 yards (which is a big difference even without the wind). Someone - I'm leaning toward Fairchild at the moment, but I don't really know who - botched that last play big-time.

PUNTS:

22 yards

40 yards

19 yards

37 yards

33 yards

KICKOFFS:

65 yards

61 yards

35 yards

34 yards

41 yards

877856[/snapback]

True KO's go the farthest... Notice the blue above... That is a 30 yard or 90 ft. swing INTO the wind during the same game.

+9 need off you "ideal" threshold doesn't sound too unreasonable.

They should have tried for the FG.

Forgot to mention KO's use a "new" ball... Which makes them now go shorter than they have historically using the game ball.

FG's use the game ball. Or do they?

If they do... I think you can accurately say, the numbers for all three (punts, KO's, FG's) are are a little closer to each other.

Again, they were off their "threshold" position by nine feet... Anything could have happened... As you see more than that at times between the kicks you listed...

Eh?

They did. Before the game he told them 42 yards was his limit, and the staff as a whole decided they were not going to kick it longer than 42. But they asked him and he basically said no, he couldn't make it. Going for it was the right call. The 4th down playcall had a lot to be desired, as well as the confusion on the field.

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20061...?tbd1056968.asp

878062[/snapback]

Well... If I was coach Jauron... I would have made him go for it (the FG)... :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Heck... Who knows for sure at what distance it is gonna "lay up"?

As I mentioned, numerous times the diff was under 10 feet... They can even "fudge" the hold in an extra yard... Ya, risky... But, IMO... Was BFLO's best odds.

Better than getting the play off with :01 sec on the play clock left!