missed the game

The second quarter they were going with the wind.

The wind was gusting pretty bad (just ask the Tenn punter...) - when Tenn made their 41 yarder into the wind it had subsided a bit - even then a gust blew it hard left after it was well on its way, then another gust made it seem like it hit a wall in midair and it dropped like a stone barely clearing the crossbar.

I heard Lindell on a postgame interview and I couldn't believe how unconfident he sounded trying to explain his (unconfident) response to Jauron looking to him to see if he felt he could make it. I personally don't believe he comes close to making the kick if they try it.

everyone is going to tell you that the wind was SOOOOOOO bad. i was at the game too. it wasnt that bad. they shouldve kicked it.

877837[/snapback]

What section? Wind in the stands and on the field are two different matters, in my experience at the Ralph.

Anyway, if the kick was short, a sizeable percentage of the same folks moaning about the call would have been complaining that DJ should have gone for it on fouth down. It's a Man Law of TSW.

What section?  Wind in the stands and on the field are two different matters, in my experience at the Ralph. 

Anyway, if the kick was short, a sizeable percentage of the same folks moaning about the call would have been complaining that DJ should have gone for it on fouth down.  It's a Man Law of TSW.

877932[/snapback]

That is why I feel it was a team loss. In the 3rd qt we played it in their end of the field and only got 10 points........The D was stuffing them and forcing punts with the wind at our backs.......

should have scored at least 10 more points in the 3rd qt alone ..... :D

everyone is going to tell you that the wind was SOOOOOOO bad. i was at the game too. it wasnt that bad. they shouldve kicked it.

877837[/snapback]

Wind in the stands means d*ck. Neither do those little flags on the tops of the goal posts. I have sat at the 50 yard line for nearly every game the past 13 years and even when it's calm in the stands and the flags are barely moving, the wind is to be reckoned with on the field. The flags were barely moving all game, and yet Tennessee struggled mightily kicking into it. As a fan, I'm sick of that goddamn wind, they need to enclose the stadium such that the artificial "hawk" that is created by the shape of the stadium/underground field doesn't take the passing game out of the equation two quarters per game.

i keep hearing cablelady say again and again how the wind wasn't bad at all, so my question is - why did the tennesee punts suck so bad and the tn field goal barely cross from 42 yards if the wind wasn't so bad?

877937[/snapback]

Simple. The Titan punter sucks. :D

877837[/snapback]

First off, I am NOT defending Dick's move yesterday as I think the 3rd down play call was atrocious considering the fact they knew they were going on 4th. But...

On the field conditions are COMPLETELY different from what goes on in the stands. Just look at the flags on the goal posts, they can be completely motionless while passes turn into 12-6 curveballs. I remember being at the Vikings game this year, it was calm in the stands, but the balls wouldn't stay on the tee and Moorman's punts were dying like wounded quails. Tasker, though he was terrible on 90% of his points yesterday, did a good job of explaining where the wind was the worst, and how badly it swirls. I also think Bills fans take for granted just how good Norwood and Christie were at negotiating the winds at the Ralph.

I have my seats in 238, so I had a great side view of the Tenn FG earlier in the game. You could see the ball just stop in mid-air and drop. Unfortuantly, it dropped on the wrong side of the cross bar, giving them 3 points, instead of being blown back onto the field.

I was in 134, row 8 and at the time, the winds weren't quite as strong as when Bironas kicked his earlier. I'm still baffled at the 3rd and 1 pass play the series before. Willis gains 9 yds on 2 straight plays. 3rd and 1, let's pass. Run the damn ball!!!!!

Did you guys watch the Tennessee kick into the wind? From four or five yards shorter by a guy who had the leg to beat Indy with a 60 yarder, and the wind absolutely slammed it right before it went over the crossbar. Looked like a Barry Zito curveball as it dropped just barely over the crossbar. I was disappointed on the final series, all four plays, but that was a less than 50/50, and maybe less than 1 in 10 field goal to hit.

The play broke down and JP had to heave it before getting tackled after running like a mad man. Thomas and Peters both got off their initial blocks to make secondary blocks, but Pennington looked like he was following the play after it happened and Gandy and Fowler locked up together on one defender. I am sorry they tackled Lee after only one yard on 2nd down, but that basically counts as a run. I wish they knew if they were going for it on 4th before they ran the 3rd down play, and I wish they had run Willis on 2nd, 3rd, and 4th. He gets the ball three times he gets the six yards he needs, and that is a mistake in judgment just like not running him twice when it was 3rd and 1 earlier. But hindsight is 20-20, and we were one big JP throw away from not caring about it. Considering the big throws he has made to get us in this position, I can't fault them too much even though I disagree.

Another plus is that if Rian had kicked and missed he would have been blamed undeservedly (the guy who twice missed kicks to cause the team miss the fieldgoal). Norwood's 47 yarder on grass wasn't an easy kick and he is now the devil. With Rian coming back and being a part of this team for years to come, I'd rather not put him out there as the sacrificial lamb when kicking does not give us the best chance to win (I think converting the 4th and 5 is higher probability than that kick). Unfortunately we didn't execute, and the result is a loss just like had Roscoe or Peerless not gotten their toes down on their Jax and Hou winning catches.

No fun to lose and be eliminated, but you can't win 'em all and this team had a good season and this offense had a good game.

I was in the opposite endzone (section 125) and the wind was bad yesterday, It was coming in from the sides in the stands, but the flags on the goal posts where blowing back towards the stands. It was weird. A 40 yard field goal is tough enough, to add the wind into that, he probably wouldn't have made it either. I almost wonder if a fake FG play would have worked better, and if the Titans have been fooled by it, you know the fans would have only because everyone in the stadium were thinking FG for the win.