Feel bad for Fletch

Kelly the Dog

Okay, so maybe he has made a pretty good living over the years. And okay, maybe pro athletes get paid too much. BUT, it's a fact of life that there are hundreds of millions out there, and certain players deserve it more than others. For both their play AND their intangibles.

Fletcher may not have been robbed out of a berth this year, but IMO he was, because of his lifetime achievement. He has been pro-bowl worthy for a few years, each year perhaps just falling short. There are a few players better in the league at his position each year, but very few, and he certainly puts up the numbers. All other positions in the pro bowl are made up of reputations and he's certainly earned his over the years. He has more tackles than anyone in the league over that span. And the guy that is close makes just as many or more of them 4-7 yards downfield. So IMO he simply should have made it over Al Wilson based on his career and his season. Furthermore, the contract negotiations for next year, his last contract, would have very likely netted him millions more if it included "Pro Bowler London Fletcher-Baker".

For the blood, sweat and tears that Fletch has put into this team and city and franchise over his career here, whether he is a truly great player or not, he probably deserves the money that he would have received if he was named to the team. More, at least, than 100 other players who don't work as hard or practice as hard or represent everything good in the game as London does.

Thanks, Fletch. You may not have been "robbed" out of a pro bowl berth. But you may indeed have been robbed out of a few million of pro bowl worth.

Okay, so maybe he has made a pretty good living over the years. And okay, maybe pro athletes get paid too much. BUT, it's a fact of life that there are hundreds of millions out there, and certain players deserve it more than others. For both their play AND their intangibles.

Fletcher may not have been robbed out of a berth this year, but IMO he was, because of his lifetime achievement. He has been pro-bowl worthy for a few years, each year perhaps just falling short. There are a few players better in the league at his position each year, but very few, and he certainly puts up the numbers. All other positions in the pro bowl are made up of reputations and he's certainly earned his over the years. He has more tackles than anyone in the league over that span. And the guy that is close makes just as many or more of them 4-7 yards downfield. So IMO he simply should have made it over Al Wilson based on his career and his season. Furthermore, the contract negotiations for next year, his last contract, would have very likely netted him millions more if it included "Pro Bowler London Fletcher-Baker".

For the blood, sweat and tears that Fletch has put into this team and city and franchise over his career here, whether he is a truly great player or not, he probably deserves the money that he would have received if he was named to the team.  More, at least, than 100 other players who don't work as hard or practice as hard or represent everything good in the game as London does.

Thanks, Fletch. You may not have been "robbed" out of a pro bowl berth. But you may indeed have been robbed out of a few million of pro bowl worth.

873191[/snapback]

Too bad he wasn't an alternate. Then he could work out one of those clandestine deals, where a Pro Bowl "in" who already has his contract bonus bows out with a hangnail or something, and his buddy steps in and then joins the bonus gravy train. :rolleyes:

On the flipside....does this make him easier for us to sign?

I mean....he deserves to be paid but I would like to see him (and Nate and Kelsay) back in buffalo next year.....

873213[/snapback]

I remember seeing an article stating that London is a personal favorite of Mr. Wilson. Imo, this is all we need to know in terms of London staying here. He will probably sign a long term deal, but if he fails to, he will be named the "franchise player."

People think I am way off base with this, and it is certainly possible that I am. The thing to remember is that we are short on LBs, and tall on cap space.

Either way, I am certain that London will be playing for us in 07. Absolutely certain.

873191[/snapback]

Kelley,

Why do you think it will hurt him in the pocketbook? My gut tells me certainly Marv will be zero worth to a pro bowl, as I am am certain almost all GMs(outside of the loons in DC) do.

And, I would expect that his bonuses for making the pro-bowl are not that much, prolly a 100K or so.

The number that is going to hurt him is the big 32 after his age when the 07 season kicks off

It seems like, from ESPN attitude on the sports Bash, Evans should have gone to the pro Bowl.

873602[/snapback]

I think Lee has gotten some fair press out of all of this but why doesn't any one outside of WNY or NWPA or any other Bills region think London Fletcher is pro bowl worthy?? I have seen no mention of it ANY where!! Are his stats not good enough what's the problem??

I think Lee has gotten some fair press out of all of this but why doesn't any one outside of WNY or NWPA or any other Bills region think London Fletcher is pro bowl worthy??  I have seen no mention of it ANY where!!  Are his stats not good enough what's the problem??

873972[/snapback]

Here's a mention:

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/6290830

I think Lee has gotten some fair press out of all of this but why doesn't any one outside of WNY or NWPA or any other Bills region think London Fletcher is pro bowl worthy??  I have seen no mention of it ANY where!!  Are his stats not good enough what's the problem??

873972[/snapback]

Tuesday afternoon, the great Adam Schein was livid over Fletcher's snub on Sirius.