The Top 10 Saddest Songs in the World

Tux of Borg

Guitar Wolf's cover of Eikichi Yazawa's rock-balad "I Love You, OK" has always been a particularly sad-sounding song to me. This live version is especially haunting in light of Billy Wolf's death 18 months ago of a heart attack following a US tour. Seiji screaming "I love you!" into the microphone at the end of the song is pretty chilling. A gripping and emotional tribute to his friend and bandmate of almost 20 years.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Several songs from Warren Zevon's The Wind are sad as hell given that he recorded it knowing that he had a terminal illness and died only a couple weeks after it was released. In particular, are Knockin' on Heaven's Door, Please Stay, and Keep Me in Your Heart. The sadness that you feel in those songs is completely genuine.

true dat! :rolleyes:

Several songs from Warren Zevon's The Wind are sad as hell given that he recorded it knowing that he had a terminal illness and died only a couple weeks after it was released. In particular, are Knockin' on Heaven's Door, Please Stay, and Keep Me in Your Heart. The sadness that you feel in those songs is completely genuine.

873032[/snapback]

Danny Boy :rolleyes:  :lol:  :thumbsup:  :worthy:

872953[/snapback]

:worthy::worthy: Oh yeah, forgot about that one. Reminds me of my deceased uncle who lost his battle with cancer way too soon. He sang in a barbershop quartet for many years. The three remaining guys from the group sang it at his funeral. :cry:

I always found Dan Fogelberg's "In the Passage" sad:

There's a ring around the moon tonight and a chill in the air

And a fire in the stars that hang so near, so near

There's a sound in the wind that blows through the wild mountain holds

Like the sighs of a thousand crying souls, crying souls

There's a time when the traveler is fated to find

That insight has turned his gaze behind, behind

And the steps taken yesterday will beckon again

And lead to his weary journey's end, his journey's end

[Chorus:]

And in the passage from the cradle to the grave we are born, madly dancing

Rushing headlong through the crashing of the days

We run on and on without a backwards glance

We run on and on without a backwards glance

I cast my fate with the wife of Lot I turned my gaze around

Knowing neither what I sought nor what was to be found

Heeding weakness, feeding strength, oh life at length is frail

I seek again the river's source through time's dark shadowed veil

In the fast fading century, as we spin through the years

I pray that our failing vision clears, our vision clears

[Chorus]

The places dash and the faces dart like fishes in a dream

Hiding 'neath the murky banks of long forgotten streams

The lines of life are never long when seen from end to end

The future's never coming, and the past has never been

There's a ring around the moon tonight, and a chill in the air

And a fire in the stars that hang so near, so near

That silly christmas song about shoes?

873001[/snapback]

Holy cow - just heard that song for the first time and I truly believe it has got to be the worst song EVER. It's like they held a contest to see who could write the most cliche sacharin drivel and this one won. I thought Muskrat Love was the worst song, but Christmas Shoes beats it by a mile (worse than dancing swamp rats - that's bad).

Back on topic, I find Springsteen's The River very sad - about a guy who never really got a life - so much that might have been - and expressed in very earthy, human terms.

This song by Brian Eno has a haunting, meloncholy feel to it.

873174[/snapback]

A bit too new-agey for my tastes, but kudos to you for not posting the same drivel that some of these other people are trotting out there.

Here's a great live clip of Lou Reed from 1980 doing two fabulously depressing songs from the deliciously miserable LP Berlin. "They're taking her children away..." Spectacular!

Lou Reed "The Kids" / "Caroline Says" Florence 1980

And...from the dead junky genius category, Johnny Thunders doing "You can't put your arms around a memory".

Also, another tune that'll make you reach for the straight razor is "Open up and bleed" by The Stooges, but I can't find a link to it. So, I'll put up

and let you figure out why it's relevent.

A bit too new-agey for my tastes, but kudos to you for not posting the same drivel that some of these other people are trotting out there.

Here's a great live clip of Lou Reed from 1980 doing two fabulously depressing songs from the deliciously miserable LP Berlin.  "They're taking her children away..."  Spectacular!

Lou Reed "The Kids" / "Caroline Says" Florence 1980

And...from the dead junky genius category, Johnny Thunders doing "You can't put your arms around a memory".

Also, another tune that'll make you reach for the straight razor is "Open up and bleed" by The Stooges, but I can't find a link to it.  So, I'll put up

and let you figure out why it's relevent.

873219[/snapback]

Nice. I thought about Berlin as soon as I saw the title to this thread.

I just saw the New York dolls live a couple weeks ago and they did "You Can't Put Your Arms..." At the key point in the song, David goes over to Sylvain (they're the only two original members still alive), puts his arms around him and they sing, "you can't put your arms around... John-ny!"

is that the one i mentioned about the christmas shoes for her dying mother? the song sucks but it is soooooooo f***ing sad

I'm sorry but the saddest song in the entire world is that "Dear Mr. Jesus" song that little girl sings that they always seem to put on this time of year.....

It makes me cry EVERY fricken time I hear it

873207[/snapback]