Quite possibly the dumbest rule ever

To be honest I didnt see the kc guy try to field it. Still it bothers me it's only sd's ball because it was past the los if that was behind the los it would've been KC's ball. I think that in itself is a stupid rule.

870072[/snapback]

If it doesnt go past the LOS its then considered a punt block then....since it past the LOS its considered a live punt....

whats wrong with yall?? It's not hard to understand

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Exactly.  The KC player didn't fumble that ball because he never had possesion and the ball never advanced past the 1st down marker. 

I can bet you this rule will change quickly.

870063[/snapback]

No it won't.

Don't be fooled by the fact that a KC player "blocked" the kick. The rule is that the ball just has to cross the line of scrimmage - not the first down marker, which is all a punt has to do (or even a FG attempt). Once a kick crosses the line of scrimmage, the opposing team has all "rights" to the ball until they muff it, then it's a free/live ball.

Because the KC player muffed it, the ball became live and SD recovered it. Note that the SD punter immediately knew that - he seemed to be the only guy on the field who did.

If it doesnt go past the LOS its then considered a punt block then....since it past the LOS its considered a live punt....

whats wrong with yall??  It's not hard to understand

870080[/snapback]

It's not hard to understand, it's that I don't agree with the rule under those circumstances.

I was going to say the same thing.  What a bunch of crap that is.

870041[/snapback]

We want the Chief's to lose. We need them to lose 1 game. :rolleyes:

and we need Jets to lose to Miami.

and any 2 of the following:

Jax to lose both remaining games

Denver to lose both remaing games

Cinci to lose two remaining games

It's not hard to understand, it's that I don't agree with the rule under those circumstances.

870088[/snapback]

Ok say the same situation...but instead of it boucning past the LOS it flutters in the air...and a KC DLINEMEN trys catching it and totally muffs it....and SD recoveres??

Whos ball do you think it should be??

We want the Chief's to lose.  We need them to lose 1 game.  :rolleyes:

and we need Jets to lose to Miami.

and any 2 of the following:

Jax to lose both remaining games

Denver to lose both remaing games

Cinci to lose two remaining games

870099[/snapback]

Thanks for the refreshingly simple breakdown.

Man, I think I'm starting to hate Denver. They're going to make the playoffs at our expense again so they can get destroyed 56-3 in the 1st round again?

Ok say the same situation...but instead of it boucning past the LOS it flutters in the air...and a KC DLINEMEN trys catching it and totally muffs it....and SD recoveres??

Whos ball do you think it should be??

870102[/snapback]

In that case it would be KC ball where the SD player downed it. This isn't rocket science.

In your scenario the ball never passed the L.O.S., therefore it is not a free ball to the kicking team. I do believe S.D. could pick up the ball and run it, but otherwise it's still a 4th down situation.

870116[/snapback]

oh my bad...i just read what i wrote...i meant to say flutters in the air past the LOS....

In your scenario the ball never passed the L.O.S., therefore it is not a free ball to the kicking team. I do believe S.D. could pick up the ball and run it, but otherwise it's still a 4th down situation.

870116[/snapback]

Exactly.

Since the ball went past the LOS it is a punt...

Even know KC touched it, will it be called a "blocked punt"?

I don't think you can call it "blocked"?

It is a successful punt evn if it only went one yard and the D/receiving team got their hand on it.

Right?

I also mean to say that if you touch it and it goes beyond the LOS... The burden is on you to secure it and control it.

Good rule.

I never understood why a punter couldn't try "pooching" it off the back of the D line past the LOS and then have a halfback (lined up between the center and punter) type "hands" guy that run/gun for it and grabs it...

In the confusion, it would surely work at least the first time you try it... The norm reaction of the receiving team is to avoid it (ball) like the plague!

Call that an "onsides" punt!

:nana:

Or should I just put this on :rolleyes: for suggesting that idea?

its not a dumb rule becuase its not a seperate rule.

we're talking about the definition of a punt.

the punter kicked it, it went past the line of scrimmage, it touched a KC player...

ITS A LIVE BALL

it doesnt matter if its 1 yard past the LOS or 40 yards past. same deal.

good call by the refs

I also mean to say that if you touch it and it goes beyond the LOS... The burden is on you to secure it and control it.

Good rule.

I never understood why a punter couldn't try "pooching" it off the back of the D line past the LOS and then have a halfback (lined up between the center and punter) type "hands" guy that run/gun for it and grabs it...

In the confusion, it would surely work at least the first time you try it... The norm reaction of the receiving team is to avoid it (ball) like the plague!

Call that an "onsides" punt!

Or should I just put this on :rolleyes: for suggesting that idea?

870136[/snapback]

I think if you're going to bother trying that, you might as well just put the offense back on the field and go for it. Relying on an incredibly well placed punt, a lucky bounce, and mass confusion doesn't really sound like a good strategy when you could, um, attempt a pass instead. :nana:

It's totally the right rule. Otherwise, how do you demark what is a long punt versus a short punt? If a PR or a member of the punt return team touches the ball 30-40 yards downfield it is a free ball. Without this rule, do you arbitrarily say, okay ten yards downfield it's not a fumble but 20 or 30 or 40 yards it is?

you guys are fools

870074[/snapback]

No doubt. There's nothing stupid about the rule, and the Chiefs weren't "screwed."

It's quite simple. When a punt crosses the LOS, it becomes the receiving team's ball. If one of their players touches the ball without downing it, it's a live ball and may be recovered by the kicking team.

It is NO different than a muffed punt. For some reason people think blocked punt = turnover; that is not the case. A blocked punt is still a PUNT, and if it crosses the LOS it's no different than any other punt.

It's embarrassing that the professionals paid to announce these games don't know the rules either.