Quite possibly the dumbest rule ever

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok so Bernard Pollard rookie chiefs safety blocks a sd punt, but the ball is beyond the los and since sd recovers Sd gets posession and it's 1st and 10 sd even though the chiefs blocked the punt? :rolleyes:

870037[/snapback]

I was going to say the same thing. What a bunch of crap that is.

Ok so Bernard Pollard rookie chiefs safety blocks a sd punt, but the ball is beyond the los and since sd recovers Sd gets posession and it's 1st and 10 sd even though the chiefs blocked the punt? :rolleyes:

870037[/snapback]

Well after it was blocked...a KC guy tried to pick it up and run...but bobbled it away...which = a fumble....

870037[/snapback]

Yeah what a stupid call. Then San Diego goes 85 yards the next play and scores.

they got screwed.

870037[/snapback]

But the difference was that a KC player touched the ball past the line of scrimmage, didn't control it, and a SD player recovered it. Because the KC player didn't control the ball, it's exactly like a fumble and SD recovers it.

This is exactly like the play where Leon Lett touched the ball after a blocked FG attempt (Thanksgiving Day, 1993 vs Miami) and Miami recovered and then kicked the winning FG.

Why Herm Edwards was arguing the play is beyond me - that was the right call.

Well after it was blocked...a KC guy tried to pick it up and run...but bobbled it away...which = a fumble....

870045[/snapback]

How does touching a ball = possession?

I think based on the fact that the ball was blocked behind the line of scrimmage, that should negate the punt rules for that play.

Just a bad rule IMO.

Edited by Faustus

How is that a stupid rule?

SD gets off a semi-successful punt (it DID cross the LOS), KC tries to field said punt, but muffs it, SD recovers. Lack of awareness &/or a poor gamble by the KC guy; they could've just let the ball die right there & have possesion there.

Leon Lett, is that you?

870037[/snapback]

Exactly. The KC player didn't fumble that ball because he never had possesion and the ball never advanced past the 1st down marker.

I can bet you this rule will change quickly.

How does touching a ball = possession?

I think based on the fact that the ball was blocked behind the line of scrimmage, that should negate the punt rules for that play.

Just a bad rule IMO.

870051[/snapback]

its not though...??

what if a guy its a hand on it and flutters up in the air and lands one yard past the LOS...

Do you then consider that a punt or not??

Exactly.  The KC player didn't fumble that ball because he never had possesion and the ball never advanced past the 1st down marker. 

870063[/snapback]

no it won't

How is that a stupid rule?

SD gets off a semi-successful punt (it DID cross the LOS), KC tries to field said punt, but muffs it, SD recovers.  Lack of awareness &/or a poor gamble by the KC guy;  they could've just let the ball die right there & have possesion there.

Leon Lett, is that you?

870057[/snapback]

To be honest I didnt see the kc guy try to field it. Still it bothers me it's only sd's ball because it was past the los if that was behind the los it would've been KC's ball. I think that in itself is a stupid rule.

Exactly.  The KC player didn't fumble that ball because he never had possesion and the ball never advanced past the 1st down marker. 

870063[/snapback]

What does the 1st down marker have to do with anything???

870063[/snapback]

If a punt goes past the line of scrimmage, it's a punt, no matter if it's partially blocked or not, so the normal rules are followed, including the fact that if the receiving team muffs it, it's a live ball.