Playoffs impossible

The Big Cat

Okay so I checked out the playoff scenario drawn up by professional Bills nerd Chris Brown and found his analysis to be thin and containing a lot of Bills-friendly what-ifs. Here are my predictions for how the rest of the season will likely shape up for all AFC "contenders." By my good sense, the Bills are out of reach...(home games capitalized)

TEAM WEEK 13 L3Opp Outcomes FINAL REC

NE 9-4 HOU Win 10-6

jax Loss

ten Loss

BAL 10-3 CLE Win

pit Win

BUF Loss 13-3

SD 11-2 KC Win 14-2

sea Win

AZ Win

INDY 10-3 CIN Win 13-3

hou Win

MIA Win

CIN 8-5 ind Loss 10-6

den Win

PIT Win

JAX 8-5 ten Win 10-6

NE Win

kc Loss

And the following teams finishing 9-7 will be- NYJ (minW, miaL, OAKw), KC (sd L, oak, W, JAX W), DEN (azW, CINL, SFW), BUF (MIAW, TENW, balW)

with TEN (JAXL, bufL, NEW) and MIA (bufL, NYJW, indL) finishing 7-9

Okay so I checked out the playoff scenario drawn up by professional Bills nerd Chris Brown and found his analysis to be thin and containing a lot of Bills-friendly what-ifs.  Here are my predictions for how the rest of the season will likely shape up for all AFC "contenders."  By my good sense, the Bills are out of reach...(home games capitalized)

TEAM    WEEK 13    L3Opp    Outcomes    FINAL REC

NE        9-4            HOU       Win             10-6

jax         Loss     

ten        Loss

BAL      10-3          CLE        Win

pit          Win

BUF        Loss             13-3

SD        11-2          KC         Win              14-2

sea        Win

AZ         Win

INDY    10-3          CIN        Win              13-3      

hou         Win

MIA        Win

CIN     8-5            ind         Loss             10-6

den        Win

PIT        Win

JAX    8-5             ten        Win              10-6

NE        Win

kc        Loss

And the following teams finishing 9-7 will be- NYJ (minW, miaL, OAKw), KC (sd L, oak, W, JAX W), DEN (azW, CINL, SFW), BUF (MIAW, TENW, balW)

863316[/snapback]

Do you have a link for Chris Browns playoff scenario?

edit: nevermind I found it

http://buffalobills.com/blog/index.jsp?blogger_id=1

863316[/snapback]

Maybe I understand the playoff tiebreak wrong, but isn't this one of the scenarios that Bills go to playoff?

In this case, Bills beat Jets based on better conference record and KC beat DEN because of better division record. Then, Bills wins wild card over KC because of better conference record.

Chris Brown playoff breakdown

Maybe I understand the playoff tiebreak wrong, but doesn't this is one of the scenarios that Bills go to playoff?

In this case, Bills beat Jets based on better conference record and KC beat DEN because of better division record. Then, Bills wins wild card over KC because of better conference record.

863339[/snapback]

Thats what im thinking.

Maybe I understand the playoff tiebreak wrong, but isn't this one of the scenarios that Bills go to playoff?

863339[/snapback]

I didn't read TheWindySwedishSix post carefully. He has Cin and Jax going 10-6 and thus, winning the two wild cards. All the 9-7 teams miss playoff.

Ah to dream for one more week>

Based on Chris Brown's playoff scenarios here's what needs to happen:

The Bills 6-7 (remaining games: MIA, TENN, @BAL) must win out, of course. No easy task.

Cinncinati 8-5 (@IND, DEN, PITT) would need to lose 3 of 3 for the Bills to be ahead of them, which probably won't happen, so I'll say Cincy takes the first wild card spot. (Cincy as of now has the tiebbreaker over the Bills)

Then we would need the following things to happen to steal the second wild card spot:

Jacksonville 8-5 (@TENN, NE, @KC) would have to lose 2 of their last 3 games. (Bills own tiebreaker)

Denver 7-6 (@ARZ, CINN, SF) would have to lose 2 of their last 3 games. (Denver owns tiebreaker)

The Jets 7-6 (@MINN, @MIA, OAK) would have to either lose at Miami, or if they beat Miami lose to both Minn and Oak. (If they lose to Miami, Bills would have tiebreaker)

The Chiefs 7-6 (@IND, DEN, PITT) would have to lose 1 of their next 3 games. (Bills own tiebreaker)

Tiebreakers above are of course dependent on the Bills winning out. (We have tiebreakers over Mia, Tenn, Pitt so they would be eliminated if we win out)

Stranger things have happened, but we still need to win out and get a lot of help.

But we can all keep dreaming for at least one more week. Let's go Buffalo!

Ah to dream for one more week>

Based on Chris Brown's playoff scenarios here's what needs to happen:

The Bills 6-7 (remaining games: MIA, TENN, @BAL) must win out, of course. No easy task.

Cinncinati 8-5 (@IND, DEN, PITT) would need to lose 3 of 3 for the Bills to be ahead of them, which probably won't happen, so I'll say Cincy takes the first wild card spot. (Cincy as of now has the tiebbreaker over the Bills)

Then we would need the following things to happen to steal the second wild card spot:

Jacksonville 8-5 (@TENN, NE, @KC) would have to lose 2 of their last 3 games. (Bills own tiebreaker)

Denver 7-6 (@ARZ, CINN, SF) would have to lose 2 of their last 3 games. (Denver owns tiebreaker)

The Jets 7-6 (@MINN, @MIA, OAK) would have to either lose at Miami, or if they beat Miami lose to both Minn and Oak. (If they lose to Miami, Bills would have tiebreaker)

The Chiefs 7-6 (@IND, DEN, PITT) would have to lose 1 of their next 3 games. (Bills own tiebreaker)

Tiebreakers above are of course dependent on the Bills winning out. (We have tiebreakers over Mia, Tenn, Pitt so they would be eliminated if we win out)

Stranger things have happened, but we still need to win out and get a lot of help.

But we can all keep dreaming for at least one more week. Let's go Buffalo!

863380[/snapback]

Just one thing to add, Denver doesn't need to lose two of last three games. If Denver and Kansas City tied at 9-7, Denver is eliminated.

Okay so I checked out the playoff scenario drawn up by professional Bills nerd Chris Brown and found his analysis to be thin and containing a lot of Bills-friendly what-ifs.  Here are my predictions for how the rest of the season will likely shape up for all AFC "contenders."  By my good sense, the Bills are out of reach...(home games capitalized)

NE        9-4            HOU      Win            10-6

jax        Loss     

ten        Loss

pit          Win

BUF        Loss            13-3

SD        11-2          KC        Win              14-2

sea        Win

AZ        Win

hou        Win

MIA        Win

CIN    8-5            ind        Loss            10-6

den        Win

PIT        Win

JAX    8-5            ten        Win              10-6

NE        Win

kc        Loss

863316[/snapback]

8-8 would be an amazing year. AT Balt?? hmmmmmmm

NE        9-4            HOU       Win             10-6

jax         Loss     

ten        Loss

pit          Win

BUF        Loss             13-3

SD        11-2          KC         Win              14-2

sea        Win

AZ         Win

hou         Win

MIA        Win

CIN     8-5            ind         Loss             10-6

den        Win

PIT        Win

JAX    8-5             ten        Win              10-6

NE        Win

kc        Loss

863316[/snapback]

Do you realize how close this scenario is to us making the playoffs? All we'd need is for Jacksonville to lose one additional game, and we're in!

Do you realize how close this scenario is to us making the playoffs? All we'd need is for Jacksonville to lose one additional game, and we're in!

863599[/snapback]

are you certain that Buffalo trumps KC, DEN, and NYJ in the event of a tie?

because, yes, JAX could lose two of those games...

are you certain that Buffalo trumps KC, DEN, and NYJ in the event of a tie?

because, yes, JAX could lose two of those games...

863609[/snapback]

See I'm applying what I've read in other playoff threads here. According to others, if its a multi-team tiebreaker, KC will eliminate Denver. This is because to narrow it down if there's a 3-team tie if two teams are in the same division, they're first put h2h, and then the winner is put h2h with the third team. In this scenario, KC would be put head-to-head with Denver, and would knock them out. Also, since its the Dolphins who you have beating the Jets, we'd have a better conference record, and we would knock the Jets out because the Bills and Jets are in the same division.

That would leave KC, JAX and the Bills at 9-7, with Denver and the Jests eliminated. And from what I've read, we'd hold the AFC record tiebreaker on those teams. [EDIT: I just tallied it up. If we win out, we're 7-5 in conference. The Jags are currently 5-4, so if they finish 9-7 they'll be 6-6 in conference. The Chiefs already have 6 conference losses. So if they finish 9-7 we will have a superior AFC record to both of these teams and thus will in fact have the tiebreaker on them.]

If you want to be sure, read some of the other playoff threads. But that is what I've gathered.

Oh, and one thing to potentially be afraid of is that Denver does hold the tiebreaker on us. If Kansas City isn't also in the tie, then Denver trumps us. We need Kansas City there to eliminate Denver h2h.

863599[/snapback]

Yeah and with JAX being such a terrific road team I bet they don't lose those two remaining road games (sarcasm off)

Its crazy to be talking playoff scenarios yet again. I just hope its not a tease and a major let down next season, but in any event, if we finish 9-7 and miss the playoffs we can look back and see missed opportunities. Like not taking the points in NE, or missing a FG in Indy (tho manning probably would have scored again), or laying an egg against that abomination that is the Detroit Lions. To me these are not negatives, they are simply mistakes that young teams make when they are learning to be winners, and that gives me hope for next year. I am most impressed with JP answering the bell when idiot fans (myself admittedly included) and "experts" were calling for him to be benched in favor of a third string QB, and the kid elevated his game and now looks like he'll be leading the Bills for the forseeable future. GO BILLS!!!

PS- didn't i feel this exact same way at the end of 2004? Oh well, this is what being a fan (especially a Bills fan) is all about...hope.

Yeah and with JAX being such a terrific road team I bet they don't lose those two remaining road games (sarcasm off)

Its crazy to be talking playoff scenarios yet again. I just hope its not a tease and a major let down next season, but in any event, if we finish 9-7 and miss the playoffs we can look back and see missed opportunities. Like not taking the points in NE, or missing a FG in Indy (tho manning probably would have scored again), or laying an egg against that abomination that is the Detroit Lions.  To me these are not negatives, they are simply mistakes that young teams make when they are learning to be winners, and that gives me hope for next year.  I am most impressed with JP answering the bell when idiot fans (myself admittedly included) and "experts" were calling for him to be benched in favor of a third string QB, and the kid elevated his game and now looks like he'll be leading the Bills for the forseeable future. GO BILLS!!!

PS- didn't i feel this exact same way at the end of 2004? Oh well, this is what being a fan (especially a Bills fan) is all about...hope.

863640[/snapback]

I think there was a similiar "team" buzz in 2004. But I NEVER had the faith in Drew that I have in JP.

NE        9-4            HOU      Win            10-6

jax        Loss     

ten        Loss

pit          Win

BUF        Loss            13-3

SD        11-2          KC        Win              14-2

sea        Win

AZ        Win

hou        Win

MIA        Win

CIN    8-5            ind        Loss            10-6

den        Win

PIT        Win

JAX    8-5            ten        Win              10-6

NE        Win

kc        Loss

863316[/snapback]

Pretty good picks except I can see Indy losing the rest of their games. The defense is falling apart. And they play good run teams. I see bad things man.

The other stuff can go our way fairly easily, but winning out is the hard part. So let's just stomp the fish and wait for this stuff to be even simpler next week. Although it's fun to know who we are rooting against on Sunday as well.

The one interesting thing is that if we beat Baltimore somehow to make the playoffs, there is a very good chance we would play them in the first round, which would certainly provide some momentum.

Only 3 teams have been eliminated (Cleveland, Houston, and Oakland)

We're currently in a 4 way tie for 10th in the playoff race with Miami, Tennessee, and Pittsburgh

10th out of 16

Mathematically possible

Logically improbable

863672[/snapback]

Logically improbable? WindySwedishSix just picked the rest of the games to the best of his ability without taking our playoff hopes into consideration in any way. This level-headed approach resulted in a scenario in which the Bills are just one Jaguars loss away from a playoff birth! If we win out, it really isn't that much of a longshot.