offensive line

MetsBills

EVERYONE NEEDS TO STOP BLAMING WILLIS AND JP AND JAURON FOR OUR LOSSES.  THE BILLS NEED A LINE.  WHY CANT WE EVER GET A GOOD LINE.  NOT SINCE THE DAYS OF ...........Glenn Parker Kent Hull John Fina.. .. AND OTHERS HAVE THE BILLS HAD A SOLID LINE.  WE NEED TO DRAFT A LINE MAN IN THE FIRST PICK WE HAVE.  OR PICK UP SOMEONE IN FREE AGENCY.  HOW ABOUT HUTCHINSON LAST YEAR....NOT EVEN TALKED ABOUT.  THEY NEED TO BEEF UP THE LINE.  GO BILLS

860036[/snapback]

I DONT KNOW WHAT WERE YELLING ABOUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOUD NOISES!!!!!!!!!!

what an angry first post yeeesh

860047[/snapback]

And yet so very dead on.

Sometimes you can mask your deficiencies with heart; yet we have neither that or much talent, I'm afraid.

I really hope Marv does concentrate on the line in the offseason. This past summer he was fooled badly.

They should and better. We should try and trade up to get into the top 5 in the draft.

because linemen selected in the top 5 are always a safe bet, right?

861139[/snapback]

Yes, and let's have the privlege of paying $30M for a guy that's just as likely to be a hit or a miss as someone whose name is called 5 spots later and costs $5M.

Sounds like a plan!

:nana:

Bear in mind that LSI and Daquix are both ~18. They don't care how much things cost or whether it's even possible to obtain. Youth wants what it wants when it wants it. I'm not saying Ralph should be Scrooge, but we need to spend the cap money wisely. Which precludes high-high draft picks. Someone needs to send them the memo that this upcoming draft is pretty deep for OL talent.

.......NOT SINCE THE DAYS OF ...........Glenn Parker Kent Hull John Fina.. ..

860036[/snapback]

Humm....I recall early in TT's carrer when running to the right side behind a healthy John Davis (RG) and Howard Ballard (RT) would net 5 plus yards without a doubt. Sadly, John Davis played strongly only in 1990 and 2/3 of 1991 until his right knee was blown out. Ballard left via FA, and THEN came the likes of Parker. Far better than given credit for here in Buffalo, but never comparable to Davis and Ballard, both positions he was to play. John Davis came back, but was never the same animal he was before the injury. Paired with Ballard, they were awesome, even if only for 1 and 2/3 seasons.

That was the last time I can remember the Bills having a O-line duo that could blow out anyone across for them. Hull was a great center, but not a mountain mover, like these guys were. Wolford and Ritcher on the left made our line then complete and frankly, top shelf....

Been a long time coming to see even relatively similar play....We're long overdue.

Humm....I recall early in TT's carrer when running to the right side behind a healthy John Davis (RG) and Howard Ballard (RT) would net 5 plus yards without a doubt. Sadly, John Davis played strongly only in 1990 and 2/3 of 1991 until his right knee was blown out.  Ballard left via FA, and THEN came the likes of Parker. Far better than given credit for here in Buffalo, but never comparable to Davis and Ballard, both positions he was to play. John Davis came back, but was never the same animal he was before the injury. Paired with Ballard, they were awesome, even if only for 1 and 2/3 seasons.

That was the last time I can remember the Bills having a O-line duo that could blow out anyone across for them. Hull was a great center, but not a mountain mover, like these guys were. Wolford and Ritcher on the left made our line then complete and frankly, top shelf....

Been a long time coming to see even relatively similar play....We're long overdue.

861329[/snapback]

Can someone give me the inside skinny as to why Pennington is starting at ORT, instead of Butler? I'm not complaining about his performance (well, that first game was a little surreal, but expected), but Butler was a true ORT drafted in the fifth round. Pennington was a swing - I think - but in any case drafted in the seventh round. Marv obviously thought more of Butler back in April.....Anyone know the reasoning? Pennington's size? Arm length? Did Butler have an injury that slowed his development?

Why all the questions? Because the above post to which I'm replying brings back a lot of memories, and makes a lot of sense. It simply drives me up a wall :( that we're not running to the right side! Can you say "Predictable"? Gee, here comes Willis to the left again - let's slide the spy over that-a-way, whuddya think? :doh: Who knows? Maybe they're just trying to give the kid some reps this year in preps for 07 (?). I'd love some insight into this from someone who's been watching the game more closely than I have. Why Pennington and not Butler?

EVERYONE NEEDS TO STOP BLAMING WILLIS AND JP AND JAURON FOR OUR LOSSES.  THE BILLS NEED A LINE.  WHY CANT WE EVER GET A GOOD LINE.  NOT SINCE THE DAYS OF ...........Glenn Parker Kent Hull John Fina.. .. AND OTHERS HAVE THE BILLS HAD A SOLID LINE.  WE NEED TO DRAFT A LINE MAN IN THE FIRST PICK WE HAVE.  OR PICK UP SOMEONE IN FREE AGENCY.  HOW ABOUT HUTCHINSON LAST YEAR....NOT EVEN TALKED ABOUT.  THEY NEED TO BEEF UP THE LINE.  GO BILLS

860036[/snapback]

LOUD NOISES. But a valid point.

Can someone give me the inside skinny as to why Pennington is starting at ORT, instead of Butler?  I'm not complaining about his performance (well, that first game was a little surreal, but expected), but Butler was a true ORT drafted in the fifth round.  Pennington was a swing - I think - but in any case drafted in the seventh round.  Marv obviously thought more of Butler back in April.....Anyone know the reasoning?  Pennington's size?  Arm length?  Did Butler have an injury that slowed his development?

Why all the questions?  Because the above post to which I'm replying brings back a lot of memories, and makes a lot of sense.  It simply drives me up a wall  :(  that we're not running to the right side!  Can you say "Predictable"?  Gee, here comes Willis to the left again - let's slide the spy over that-a-way, whuddya think?  :doh:  Who knows?  Maybe they're just trying to give the kid some reps this year in preps for 07 (?). I'd love some insight into this from someone who's been watching the game more closely than I have.  Why Pennington and not Butler?

861393[/snapback]

The information you seek is here. Salient points are excerpted from the original text and highlighted here for the Pepsi generation.

"The coaching staff is high on the rookie Pennington. Despite being a seventh-round pick the offensive staff likes his physical tools, which includes 36-inch arms that can help a young pass protector in steering pass rushers around the pocket. Pennington has been the team's third tackle all season as it has been him and not fifth-round pick Brad Butler who has been active most Sundays.

"He's done an outstanding job in developing," said Jauron. "He's got a feel for the game and he's come along with playing against stunts and good natural strength for a big man. Now we'll find out a lot more about him. We're hoping he becomes productive and develops even faster."

"I've been the swing tackle for Gandy and Peters," said Pennington. "It's a big step, but I've been working hard on technique from day one, so I think I'm ready. I have two weeks to prepare with the bye week, so I have time to work on mechanics and get set for Green Bay."

Offensive lines are so dependent on continuity that coaches in the NFL are often reluctant to make significant changes especially during the season. So with only a week and a half to get in sync what is realistic in terms of expectations from a revamped offensive line?

"They're familiar with each other, they've all played together," said Jauron. "Mike (Gandy) is moving inside, he's played there before. Jason (Peters) has played on the left side in training camp, so we're hoping it comes along quickly."

"We've got to grow up fast," said Villarrial of making the changes work. "We've got to learn on the run. That's just the way it is. The challenge is on these young guys now and it's only going to make this team better in the future."

Jauron admitted that he and his staff had discussed this previously during the season.

"This was a good time to do this," said Jauron. "If we were going to do it during the season we had to do it now. We needed to do something. So this is the direction we'll go to give us the two weeks to have them work together."

But by no means does Jauron consider the offensive line his team's only problem.

"Because it's the area where we made the changes it kind of points the finger at them," said Jauron. "But they're not alone in this thing. I've got to do a much better job than I've been doing getting them ready to play. But it's an area where we could make changes so we did and it should make us stronger."

I doubt Mr. Butler enjoys the same confidence of the coaching staff and hence is the reason he's riding the pine - even though his pedigree suggests to some he would be a better fit than the current incumbent. Remember pedigree isn't everything. Think of Mike Williams and how his career is floundering in (I have to say it) Tampa Bay. :doh: