Yet Another Post About Jason Peters

There has never been a time since Will Wolford that the LT position was not a horror show for the Buffalo Bills. Think of the disasters that we have lined up at this most valueable spot...Kris Farris, John Fina, Gandy, etc. I thought that Jennings was good, but he was rightly named (by Badolbilz) "Jennings ala cart." Did Jerman line up at LT a few times? :beer::nana:

What an absolute mess.

Jason Peters is amazing. I was able to see a lot of him this week (just got lucky with the camera angles). A couple of times, I thought he was getting beat, and he pushed his man away by extending his arms. You have to be super strong to do this, and I just can't tell you how happy I am to see the Bills with a left tackle who is able to to play at this level.

I am going to go out on a limb and state that this kid has the potential to reach the pro-bowl before long. Call me crazy, but I think that he is already close after 4 friggin games. :D:lol:

As for Willis, we need to think about who he is and what he does imo. The man is a 235 lb tailback! The fact that he even CAN "dance" is remarkable imo. Most of these moves would be better served if made upfield, but our OGs are not getting the necessary push to get him past scrimage.

Gandy is OK at pass protection, but is not one of these monster guards who fires out and kicks ass on running plays. Preston seems like a smart kid, but he too is just a little light in the ass imo. Truthfully, I would like to see Merz get more time after seeing him live against NE.

Either way, the Bills need a nasty pair of guards who can get him past the line of scrimage. These moves that frustrate fans now will thrill the same fans when he makes them in more of an open field. Line up Steinbach next to Peters in 07 and we will be watching Willis make these moves 10 yards upfield!

I am not enough of an optimist by nature, but I am sensing very good things for the Bills in 07. The cap space is there, the spirit is there, the LT is there, and it looks as if the qb is there.

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

right on, Bill.....the more I think about J.Peters, the more amazing it is to me. Let's say that the guy ends up being a solid starting LT for the next ten years. How incredible is it that, with all the player analysis and scouting, it wasn't until he became a Bill that someone (McNally?) decided to try him out as an O-lineman. How can he go through HS and college ball, and then the scrutiny of 32 NFL franchises, and not have ANYONE peg him as a lineman? I'm not football historian, but I can't imagine there are many examples of this. Maybe someone like Heinz Ward would be comparable to a degree?

I dunno, but now that he's actually DOING it at LT, and agaisnt some pretty good opposition, I'm just in awe of what he's accomplishing.

right on, Bill.....the more I think about J.Peters, the more amazing it is to me. Let's say that the guy ends up being a solid starting LT for the next ten years. How incredible is it that, with all the player analysis and scouting, it wasn't until he became a Bill that someone (McNally?) decided to try him out as an O-lineman. How can he go through HS and college ball, and then the scrutiny of 32 NFL franchises, and not have ANYONE peg him as a lineman?  I'm not football historian, but I can't imagine there are many examples of this. Maybe someone like Heinz Ward would be comparable to a degree?

I dunno, but now that he's actually DOING it at LT, and agaisnt some pretty good opposition, I'm just in awe of what he's accomplishing.

856306[/snapback]

Easy AJZ. He started out as a DE and DT in High School and his first year and a half at Arkansas. He's a phonomenal athlete, but all along there were obviously issues in finding the right spot for him. I think that if The Bills had a real Offensive Line, he'd be an absolute terror as a Tight End. I think he could play DE at an All Pro level. What do you do with a guy that's that talented and flat-out gifted? The Bills need linemen in the worst way, and they're using him in a formerly weak spot and he's doing incredibly well and there's no reason to doubt that he'll continue to prosper there at LT. Now THAT makes a lot of us happy.

But I think it's a stretch to say nobody looked at the guy as a Lineman. By all accounts he was projected there, but he had only three years of college ball and none in a "Line" position. Who could blame the scouts for passing on him (and remember his Wonderlick). He was too big a gamble for most teams. Thankfully nobody wanted a demon TE, and DonnaHo was a gambling sort. This might be his best ever "pick" - although let's not forget - he was undrafted.

Positional History of Jason Peters

Personal Bio

Attended Queen City High School, earning All-District and All-Area honors as a defensive end…Lone Star Recruiting ranked him the 18th-best prospect in Texas…was on every Top 100 in Texas list…also lettered in basketball, averaging 18.4 points per game to garner All-District and All-Area honors…Vocational Education major, enrolled in the College of Education and Health Professions.

College Career

Redshirted in 2000, spending the season as a scout team defensive lineman.

2001, started three games while playing in 10… spent the first half of the season as a reserve defensive end and tackle, moving to tight end for the Auburn contest…

Delivered 61 knockdowns/key blocks…played in thirteen games, starting twelve contests in 2002…finished with four receptions for 37 yards…

Left Arkansas after his junior season…played in a total of 36 games in three years, catching 28 passes for 300 yards and four touchdowns…in 2003, All-Southeastern Conference second team choice by the league's media…started every game at tight end, ranking third on the team with 21 receptions for 218 yards and four touchdowns…

Pro Career

2004: In his first NFL season, Peters showed his versatility by seeing action at both tight end and offensive tackle and proving to be a special teams force…made his NFL debut at NE (11/14) after being signed to the 53-man roster from the practice squad on 11/12/04…totaled two special teams tackles and recovered a fumble on kickoff coverage that set up a Rian Lindell field goal in the third quarter vs. St.L (11/21).

2005: Caught a touchdown pass for one yard vs. Hou (9/11)… Saw his first NFL start at right tackle position at NE (10/30) … Finished season with ninth straight start at right tackle at NYJ (1/1/06) … helped line pave the way to 159 rushing yards – offense’s best output since 10/16 vs. NYJ.

right on, Bill.....the more I think about J.Peters, the more amazing it is to me. Let's say that the guy ends up being a solid starting LT for the next ten years. How incredible is it that, with all the player analysis and scouting, it wasn't until he became a Bill that someone (McNally?) decided to try him out as an O-lineman. How can he go through HS and college ball, and then the scrutiny of 32 NFL franchises, and not have ANYONE peg him as a lineman?  I'm not football historian, but I can't imagine there are many examples of this. Maybe someone like Heinz Ward would be comparable to a degree?

856306[/snapback]

I think Lepsis in Denver is a converted TE.

I think the reason he was never tried there before the pros is that there is a temptation at the lower levels to get the ball in the hands of your best athlete. That's why the receivers always seem to be more athletic than the corners and there are so many HS and college QBs that become safties and the like in the pros. And when you have a Champ Bailey or a Charles Woodson, you play him on offense, too, like Georgi and Michigan did.

Please, Bill, tell me why Anthony Thomas gets so many more yards out of running behind this line than McGahee does.

Perfect example of why McGahee has to go...The PERFECTLY executed screen play in which he had a minimum of 5 yards upfield...all he had to do was run up the field. What did he do? He stopped, took a step sideways, took a step the other way, then tried to dive for the first down, only to end up 4 inches or so shy.

Next time the Bills ran a RB screen, it was to Thomas. He made 8 yards out of basically the same play.

WILLIS HAS TO GO.

Please, Bill, tell me why Anthony Thomas gets so many more yards out of running behind this line than McGahee does.

Perfect example of why McGahee has to go...The PERFECTLY executed screen play in which he had a minimum of 5 yards upfield...all he had to do was run up the field. What did he do? He stopped, took a step sideways, took a step the other way, then tried to dive for the first down, only to end up 4 inches or so shy.

Next time the Bills ran a RB screen, it was to Thomas. He made 8 yards out of basically the same play.

WILLIS HAS TO GO.

856415[/snapback]

Anthony Thomas wouldn't have gotten EITHER of the touchdowns McGahee got against Jacksonville, which both involved dancing around and cutting back. Is it a stretch to say if not for McGahee, we might have lost that game?

Anthony Thomas wouldn't have gotten EITHER of the touchdowns McGahee got against Jacksonville, which both involved dancing around and cutting back. Is it a stretch to say if not for McGahee, we might have lost that game?

856421[/snapback]

It may be. The Bills have played 12 games, and you pointed out ONE where he was the deciding factor. You don't think we'd get that from Thomas?

:D

WILLIS HAS TO GO.

856415[/snapback]

AT would not have scored those 2 touchdowns last week. And 2 carries for 11 yards signifies nothing really. We've got to live with Willis being a patient runner if we want the rewards of some of the plays he can make that guys like AT cannot.

856421[/snapback]

I won't argue that point one way or the other, cause we don't know. Just like we don't know how Willis would have done compared to Thomas for the two games he sat. We don't know.

What I do know...A player has to have his head in the game at all times. When it's third down and your team needs a critical first you don't dance. You get the first. Willis' number one enemy is his own self at times.

856421[/snapback]

You took the words right off my keyboard.

AT would not have scored those 2 touchdowns last week. And 2 carries for 11 yards signifies nothing really. We've got to live with Willis being a patient runner if we want the rewards of some of the plays he can make that guys like AT cannot.

856425[/snapback]

The Bills have played 12 games, and you pointed out ONE where he was the deciding factor. You don't think we'd get that from Thomas?

I won't argue that point one way or the other, cause we don't know.  Just like we don't know how Willis would have done compared to Thomas for the two games he sat.  We don't know.

What I do know...A player has to have his head in the game at all times.  When it's third down and your team needs a critical first you don't dance.  You get the first.  Willis' number one enemy is his own self at times.

856429[/snapback]

EXACTLY. His failure on that screen pass alone is reason enough to bench him.

"Live with his patience so we can see two 'scintillating' touchdown runs in an entire season." Uh, OK.

856415[/snapback]

God that was frustrating.

It may be. The Bills have played 12 games, and you pointed out ONE where he was the deciding factor. You don't think we'd get that from Thomas?

856423[/snapback]

No, I don't think we'd get one game from Anthony Thomas where HE WINS THE GAME for us. How would he go about doing this? The guy has one move in his arsenal: run straight. He's not a special blocker, he's not a special receiver, he doesn't have any special speed or quickness, and he doesn't have an extraordinary amount of power. He doesn't give you anything you can't pick up from an undrafted free agent next year. He just...runs straight. That's all.

Excuse me for wanting my starting running back to be able to do one thing over the course of a game other than just...running straight.

The Bills have played 12 games, and you pointed out ONE where he was the deciding factor. You don't think we'd get that from Thomas?

856438[/snapback]

I think he's saying that on those TD runs it was Willis' style of running that allowed him to score.

No, I don't think we'd get one game from Anthony Thomas where HE WINS THE GAME for us. How would he go about doing this? The guy has one move in his arsenal:  run straight. He's not a special blocker, he's not a special receiver, he doesn't have any special speed or quickness, and he doesn't have an extraordinary amount of power. He doesn't give you anything you can't pick up from an undrafted free agent next year. He just...runs straight. That's all.

Excuse me for wanting my starting running back to be able to do one thing over the course of a game other than just...running straight.

856442[/snapback]

As if Willis is a special blocker, receiver or possesses any speed and quickness?

Riddle me this...when's the last time Willis ran away from a defensive player for a 60 yard TD? When's the last time he was stellar in blocking the blindside?

Come on man, you must have blinders on.

Thomas gets the ball and goes upfield. THAT IS WHAT YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO DO. Hit the hole and go forward.

As if Willis is a special blocker, receiver or possesses any speed and quickness?

Riddle me this...when's the last time Willis ran away from a defensive player for a 60 yard TD? When's the last time he was stellar in blocking the blindside?

Come on man, you must have blinders on.

Thomas gets the ball and goes upfield. THAT IS WHAT YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO DO. Hit the hole and go forward.

856451[/snapback]

Willis is a better blocker than Thomas, as he knocks someone flat on their ass a couple of times almost every week. He also happens to be capable of lateral movement, unlike Thomas. I'll take the guy with the 30-yard cutback TD run against Jacksonville, instead of the guy who just...ya know...runs straight.

Willis is a better blocker than Thomas, as he knocks someone flat on their ass a couple of times almost every week. He also happens to be capable of lateral movement, unlike Thomas. I'll take the guy with the 30-yard cutback TD run against Jacksonville, instead of the guy who just...ya know...runs straight.

856456[/snapback]

Then you must have LOVED that screen. All that lateral movement. Yeah, that was golden.