PFW Most Underrated Players

Rico

Tell you what Aaron, when you start making tackles for losses in the run game and more tackles in general, you can consider yourself underrated.  Until then, you are well paid for your 12 sacks per year and have yet to prove you are a complete player in my book.  One could argue that the combination of Kelsay and Denney have outplayed you this year.  They've equaled your sacks and have more than double your tackles so far this season.

852605[/snapback]

He's very quickly going to surpass what Phil Hansen did here. How is Aaron a bad DE?

I agree Schobel is one of the more underrated players in the league, and don't have a problem with him saying so, or how he said it. It's the cocky hyperbole some players spout that drives me nuts.

I think he's paid about right, and certainly could have gotten a bigger contract.

People have been spoilt by having Bruce Smith as your DE for 14 years....

Schoebel is one of the stars of this team and is one of the top 5 DEs in the AFC and top 10-15 in the NFC.  He is still error prone against the run, but then the DTs haven't done their job fully yet.

852657[/snapback]

I've said as much in numerous other threads in the past. With my most recent explanation in a thread entitled Most underated Bill of the last 25 years

Those that haven't read it, here's a copy

Aaron Schobel. The fact remains that Schobel is underrated by both the league and Bills fans in general. Many like to compare him to Phil Hansen but the reality he is far superior. As Schobel's collected 46.5 sacks in 80 career games, compare that to Hansen's 61.5 in 156 games and then tell me who's the better pass rusher. He's also surpassed Hansen in interceptions and forced fumbles and only 2 pass defensed behind again despite playing nearly half as many career games. I know someone will retort Hansen was a better run stuffer, well his stats due support this as he averaged 4.06 tackles per game compare that to Schobel's 3.73. To put that in perspective, over a season that amounts to 5.28 more tackles per season hardly a sifnificant difference if ask me. While Aaron will never be a Bruce Smith, a once in a lifetime (ie true franchise player) he very well could be the 2nd best DE we've ever had

To update the stats, Schobel's up to 55 sacks in 91 games. Both have 20 passes defensed. Schobel's tackles per game are down to 3.30.

Schoebel is one of the stars of this team and is one of the top 5 DEs in the AFC and top 10-15 in the NFC.

I'm sure you meant top 10-15 in the NFL.

My Top 5 DE's in the NFL:

1. Michael Strahan - more career sacks than any other active player and is ninth in league history in them.

2. Jevon Kearse - only the third player ever to record double digit sacks in his first three seasons, has the second most in the league since 1999 behind Michael Strahan.

3. Julius Peppers - The 6'7" 283lb Peppers uses his size to maximum advantage.

4. Jason Taylor - agile and powerful. He's not only a great pass rusher but is also very good defending against the run.

5. John Abraham - Why did NYJ let him leave? Very good with the Falcons.

1. Michael Strahan - more career sacks than any other active player and is ninth in league history in them.

2. Jevon Kearse - only the third player ever to record double digit sacks in his first three seasons, has the second most in the league since 1999 behind Michael Strahan.

3. Julius Peppers - The 6'7" 283lb Peppers uses his size to maximum advantage.

4. Jason Taylor - agile and powerful. He's not only a great pass rusher but is also very good defending against the run.

853106[/snapback]

I think Dwight Freeney is a better DE than Taylor and/or Abraham and Kearse is injured often to make plays on a consistent basis.

He's very quickly going to surpass what Phil Hansen did here.  How is Aaron a bad DE?

852860[/snapback]

He's not bad. He's just not a complete player because of his weakness in the run game. Are you telling me that you'd rather have Schobel at DE rather than Phil Hansen in his prime? I doubt you'll find much support anywhere for that. Hansen IMO was without question the more complete every down player. That doesn't make Schobel bad. Kelsey and Denney splitting time have double the tackles that Schobel has for the year and Schobel is nearly an every down player.

Good for him.  I completely agree.  This season 8.5 sacks.

2001 6.5 sacks

2002 8.5 sacks

2003 11.5 sacks

2004 8 sacks

2005 12 sacks

2006 8.5 sacks

Outstanding job for someone that has had to deal with so much change around a team.

852614[/snapback]

Wow. Quietest 8.5 sacks. Ever. To me hes been pretty invisible this season.

This is true, but it is Marcus McNeil out of Auburn who has been an overlooked component of that O-Line.  He plays with a mean streak and I would have loved to see him in a Bills uniform, but he is an animal and I don't think that Schoebel will have too much success against him.

852704[/snapback]

Fair enough. I am stating here and now that I predict that Schobel takes this (however big) kid to school and kicks he ass with AT LEAST 2 sacks.

Rivers is gonna be hurting come Sunday. :beer:;):)

Are you telling me that you'd rather have Schobel at DE rather than Phil Hansen in his prime?

853317[/snapback]

I sure am. Don't misunderstand....I was a big Hansen fan. That said, he:

1) Played opposite Bruce and for a while, next to or opposite Bryce.

2) Was bigger and stronger than Aaron, but not exactly a huge player either.

3) Didn't have anything near Schobel's speed.

4) Seemed to get nicked up more than AS.

5) Spent years alongside Ted Washington who helped big time on running plays.

Imo, people really must be comparing him to Bruce. He will always come up short there, but if AS was a UFA in 07, somebody would pay him a 12 - 15 million dollar signing bonus with his numbers and ability to rush the qb.

Just my $.02.

853106[/snapback]

A lot of people rag on Kearse but he's still a pretty good pass rusher in his own right, and not too shabby backing off into coverage. Not all that good against the run, but The Freak still has game. Personally I would've put Simeon Rice on this list but Kearse is good in his own right to warrant discussion.

Very good is an understatement. Abraham may be the best pure pass rusher in the league. He's also pretty good against the run. The only thing that's stoping him from being a top 2 de is his unwillingness to play unless he can go 100%. Not that he wasn't legit injured, but even during his time with the jets in 04 he refused to play until he felt at his best and I believe even missed the jets playoff games when he could've played. Still an impact type player though

He's not bad.  He's just not a complete player because of his weakness in the run game.  Are you telling me that you'd rather have Schobel at DE rather than Phil Hansen in his prime?  I doubt you'll find much support anywhere for that.  Hansen IMO was without question the more complete every down player.  That doesn't make Schobel bad.  Kelsey and Denney splitting time have double the tackles that Schobel has for the year and Schobel is nearly an every down player.

853317[/snapback]

Hansen played when he had Bruce Smith manning the other side. Hansen numbers showed the year Smith left for Washington. Schoebel is any day better than Hansen

considering the support he has had from his DT and DEs.

Hansen played when he had Bruce Smith manning the other side.  Hansen numbers showed the year Smith left for Washington. Schoebel is any day better than Hansen

considering the support he has had from his DT and DEs.

853437[/snapback]

I'd respectfully disagree. While Hansen benefited from having Smith, I think Hansen was on of the better DE at defending the run of the last 15 years. IMO, he was a better all-around player, but a lesser pass rusher when compared against Schoebel.

People don't know him because NFL Live doesn't show highlights of 4th quarter sacks on the Bears backup when it's 34-7.

He has all of 1 sack against the Bears backup. But don't let the facts get in your way.

Here's a breakdown of his sacks. All info comes from NFL.com. Each line is QB, time left, quarter, score at the time

Game 1 NE 19 Buf 17

Brady 7:21 2Q Buf 17 NE 7

Game 5 Chi 40 Buf 7

Griese 6:45 4Q Chi 30 Buf 0

Game 6 Det 20 Buf 6

Kitna 14:55 1Q Det 0 BUf 0

Game 7 NE 28 Buf 6

Brady 13:30 2Q NE 14 Buf 3

Brady 8:04 3Q NE 14 Buf 3

Game 8 Buf 24 GB 10

Favre 4:56 2Q Buf 10 GB 0

Favre 0:28 2Q Buf 10 GB 0

Game 10 Buf 24 Hou 21

Carr 10:40 3Q Buf 17 Hou 7

Game 11 Buf 27 Jax 24

Garrard 9:30 3Q (1/2 sack) Buf 17 Jax 14

People don't know him because NFL Live doesn't show highlights of 4th quarter sacks on the Bears backup when it's 34-7.

853467[/snapback]

He has all of 1 sack against the Bears backup.  But don't let the facts get in your way.

Game 5 Chi 40 Buf 7

Griese 6:45 4Q Chi 30 Buf 0

853467[/snapback]

I'm still trying to figure out what about my post wasn't factual, other than Chicago leading by 30 rather than 27.

I'm still trying to figure out what about my post wasn't factual, other than Chicago leading by 30 rather than 27.

853550[/snapback]

I believe he probably took the word "sacks" to mean multiple sacks in the Chicago game rather then as a grammar structure suggesting similar sacks in other similar game situations.