PFW Most Underrated Players

Rico

Who is the NFL's most underrated player?

Who are the players who consistently do their job, yet they don’t seem to see their names in the national spotlight often, if ever? We posed this question to a variety of NFL types, and here are some of their responses:

Bills DE Aaron Schobel:

“Probably myself. Why not? I think when you look at what I’ve done over the years as far as consistency sack-wise and in tackles — just watching me play. Very few people probably even know who I am. So I would have to say I’m definitely one of them.”

:nana::beer:

“Probably myself. Why not? I think when you look at what I’ve done over the years as far as consistency sack-wise and in tackles — just watching me play. Very few people probably even know who I am. So I would have to say I’m definitely one of them.”

So much for being humble!?!

What kind of comment is that?

Who is the NFL's most underrated player?

Who are the players who consistently do their job, yet they don’t seem to see their names in the national spotlight often, if ever? We posed this question to a variety of NFL types, and here are some of their responses:

Bills DE Aaron Schobel:

:nana:  :beer:

852579[/snapback]

Tell you what Aaron, when you start making tackles for losses in the run game and more tackles in general, you can consider yourself underrated. Until then, you are well paid for your 12 sacks per year and have yet to prove you are a complete player in my book. One could argue that the combination of Kelsay and Denney have outplayed you this year. They've equaled your sacks and have more than double your tackles so far this season.

So much for being humble!?! 

What kind of comment is that?

852592[/snapback]

Good for him. I completely agree. This season 8.5 sacks.

2001 6.5 sacks

2002 8.5 sacks

2003 11.5 sacks

2004 8 sacks

2005 12 sacks

2006 8.5 sacks

Outstanding job for someone that has had to deal with so much change around a team.

Tell you what Aaron, when you start making tackles for losses in the run game and more tackles in general, you can consider yourself underrated.  Until then, you are well paid for your 12 sacks per year and have yet to prove you are a complete player in my book.  One could argue that the combination of Kelsay and Denney have outplayed you this year.  They've equaled your sacks and have more than double your tackles so far this season.

852605[/snapback]

Kelsay - Tackles 28 Sacks 5

Denney - Tackles 24 Sacks 3

Schobel - Tackles 23 Sacks 8.5

Nuff' said on who's outplaying who.

:beer:

Tell you what Aaron, when you start making tackles for losses in the run game and more tackles in general, you can consider yourself underrated.  Until then, you are well paid for your 12 coveragesacks per year and have yet to prove you are a complete player in my book.  One could argue that the combination of Kelsay and Denney have outplayed you this year.  They've equaled your sacks and have more than double your tackles so far this season.

852605[/snapback]

Corrected.

Good-to-Great DEs make plays, not get matadored out of them and occasionally clean up when the DBs have played shutdown. AS is adequate and is good at what his game is; and that's what he's there for. But stats showing the depth of non-support in rush defense don't lie. He is nowhere near a Total-Package DE.

People don't know him because NFL Live doesn't show highlights of 4th quarter sacks on the Bears backup when it's 34-7.

He has a shot this week, I believe the Chargers start a rook at LT. Speaking of LT, if previous games prove true, Schobel can wave goodbye to Tomlinson as LT runs right through the gaping hole left by Schobel's upfield speed rush.

People don't know him because NFL Live doesn't show highlights of 4th quarter sacks on the Bears backup when it's 34-7.

He has a shot this week, I believe the Chargers start a rook at LT.  Speaking of LT, if previous games prove true, Schobel can wave goodbye to Tomlinson as LT runs right through the gaping hole left by Schobel's upfield speed rush.

852644[/snapback]

People have been spoilt by having Bruce Smith as your DE for 14 years....

Schoebel is one of the stars of this team and is one of the top 5 DEs in the AFC and top 10-15 in the NFC. He is still error prone against the run, but then the DTs haven't done their job fully yet.

Schoebel is one of the stars of this team and is one of the top 5 DEs in the AFC and top 10-15 in the NFC.  He is still error prone against the run, but then the DTs haven't done their job fully yet.

852657[/snapback]

He may very well be one of the more underrated players in the NFL, but what kind of a jackass makes that statement to a national publication. He looks pretty stupid, if you ask me.

852657[/snapback]

That is true. We were spoiled because when it was 3rd & 8 in the 4th quarter and the Bills were up by 4, Bruce would get a sack. He always seemed to have an impact on the play when it mattered most, even if it was just pressuring a bad throw.

If Schobel fancies himself as one of the top DE's in the league, he can't disappear for 56 minutes a game. Rushing the QB hard on every single play and recording your sack per game when you look back at the stats doesn't do it for me. I think Schobel has had two very good games this year: Game 1 against the Pats, and I can't remember the other, but he was all over the place in another one. Other than that, he's been pedestrian in my amateurish opinion.

You are right about the DT's not holding up their end of the bargain against the run. But Schobel's speed rush allows the LT to bump him upfield. If the DT is handled by the guard, that leaves a FB to crush the LB and a 15-yard gain for the RB and another tackle for Ko Simpson. It seems to happen way too often this year.

Good for him.  I completely agree.  This season 8.5 sacks.

2001 6.5 sacks

2002 8.5 sacks

2003 11.5 sacks

2004 8 sacks

2005 12 sacks

2006 8.5 sacks

Outstanding job for someone that has had to deal with so much change around a team.

852614[/snapback]

I agree he has done well and as fans we know it but I guess I really didn't take him as a ME type of guy... Now that I've seen these comments I don't know?!? Everyone wants recognition but my perception of his charecter, from what it has been in the past, I didn't expect this from him...

Maybe I'm wrong but he is getting paid well and he is doing his job, the accolades will take care of themself!!

DO YOUR JOB!!!

So we hate aaron schobel now? I really dont see anything wrong with what he said. He's probably right. If you dont have confidence in yourself you shouldnt be doing whatever your job is that you're doing. If you're in a job looking to make a name for yourself odds are you wont say "I think Joe Blow is better" No you'll talk yourself up by what you've accomplished. Although I'd sy Fletcher is more underrated then Schobel.

He has a shot this week, I believe the Chargers start a rook at LT. 

852644[/snapback]

This is true, but it is Marcus McNeil out of Auburn who has been an overlooked component of that O-Line. He plays with a mean streak and I would have loved to see him in a Bills uniform, but he is an animal and I don't think that Schoebel will have too much success against him.

So we hate aaron schobel now?  I really dont see anything wrong with what he said.  He's probably right.  If you dont have confidence in yourself  you shouldnt be doing whatever your job is that you're doing. If you're in a job looking to make a name for yourself  odds are you wont say "I think Joe Blow is better"  No you'll talk yourself up by what you've accomplished.  Although I'd sy Fletcher is more underrated then Schobel.

852696[/snapback]

I agree. I love that kind of attitude, though I will admit I was very surprised to see it coming from him.

What active player has the most career sacks against Tom Brady? Mr. Schobel. Not bad in a division that has Jason Taylor and John Abraham. Yes, sacks is a very overhyped stat (tackle a QB once a game and you are an all-pro).

But Schobel is a very good DE. And who cares if he is confident in his abilities? It's the same deal with Willis last year. Do you want them to say someone is better than them? :bag: Or perhaps, "I'm just happy to be here." I swear some of you people sound like you are 83 years old. :P There's nothing wrong with a little swagger and it's nice to see the Bills are starting to get some.

P.S. Plus it's nice to know Schobel can talk because I don't think I've ever heard or seen him interviewed. For God sakes, Chris Kelsay has his own commerical.

I agree he has done well and as fans we know it but I guess I really didn't take him as a ME type of guy... Now that I've seen these comments I don't know?!?  Everyone wants recognition but my perception of his charecter, from what it has been in the past, I didn't expect this from him...

Maybe I'm wrong but he is getting paid well and he is doing his job, the accolades will take care of themself!!

DO YOUR JOB!!!

852688[/snapback]

Oh come on. Don't over dramatize the situation. Why not choose yourself? Good for him, he has confidence in his game... does not say anything bad about his character.

One other thing.. you are right. He is being paid well for doing his job. But everyone that does a great job deserves to stand up and be noticed once in a while. Gives you something to strive for. ie: employee of the month, employee bonuses / awards, etc., etc.

Oh come on.  Don't over dramatize the situation.  Why not choose yourself?  Good for him, he has confidence in his game... does not say anything bad about his character.

One other thing.. you are right. He is being paid well for doing his job.  But everyone that does a great job deserves to stand up and be noticed once in a while.  Gives you something to strive for.  ie:  employee of the month, employee bonuses / awards, etc., etc.

852769[/snapback]

Exactly!!

We appreciate him as Bills fans and his time will come!!