As a side note to the MNF post

damaynman150

Who do you think the best commentators and analysts are on any of the following networks: CBS, Fox, NBC and/or ESPN?

My moneys on Boomer Esiason and Al Michaels for commentators cuz they always stay true to the game.

Analysts? Without a doubt its Jaws from ESPN. hes always the most informative AND the most informed in my opinion. I also liked the guy ESPN had, the former GM who was signed with Miami since, Rick something? I enjoyed listening to him alot too because obviously he knew how the NFL process worked. Guys like Irvin and Ditka though, sound like they just go off of Madden franchise mode or something...

IMO Jaws is, by far, the best analyst there is. He's also does his job without ridiculous shtick and/or forced controversy. I don't HATE Hoge, but I'd like to smack the "factor back" out of him, sometimes.

I also agree that Sterling Sharpe was very good and Al Michaels is a solid play-by-play man.

What the hell is Ian Eagle doing as a Network NFL analyst? I know him as a crappy radio host in the NYC market. As you probably know, Eagle pronounces his first name "EYE-en" not "E-an".

One time a caller to his radio show remarked how cool he thought the host's name was "Iron Eagle, is that your real name?" While he sounded sincere and legit, I'd like to think he was busting Ian's chops.

Eagle sounded confused and then explained that his name was "EYE-an". It was as if this was the first time that had ever been brought to his attention. I always figured he pronounced his name like that BECAUSE it sounded like Iron Eagle.

I thought last week vs the Jags we had the best in the biz in Solomon Wilcots. Although being paired with the unfortunate Ian Eagle as his playbyplay guy is a bit of a handicap. But I'm sure we'll hear from some wit about how stupid Wilcots is because he said something negative about teh Bills at some point.

And I wholeheartedly agree with The Dean that Merril Hoge is overdue for another concussion.

I thought last week vs the Jags we had the best in the biz in Solomon Wilcots. Although being paired with the unfortunate Ian Eagle as his playbyplay guy is a bit of a handicap. But I'm sure we'll hear from some wit about how stupid Wilcots is because he said something negative about teh Bills at some point.

And I wholeheartedly agree with The Dean that Merril Hoge is overdue for another concussion.

851413[/snapback]

Agreed. I think Wilcots is the best color commentator on NFL games and 2nd best on Sirius, just behind Gil Brandt.

851413[/snapback]

Simon, was Eagle the guy who kept calling Schobel and Kelsay "high motor?" Seriously, he said this at least 3 times.

I am pretty sure that I shouldn't let this bother me, but it does. :bag:

In my weak opinion, Kelsay, and especially Schobel are speed guys. I would consider Fletch to be the epitome of a "high motor" player. He is a tad small and not particularly fast, yet he gets to the ball and seems to go all out on every down. He makes up for his lack of Ray Lewis type skills with effort.

Otoh, Schobel and Kelsay outrun tackles to get to the qb. I do not question their effort one bit, and have defended them all season. I simply think that speed, not "motor" is their biggest defining asset.

Lord knows I am NOT PC, but it does sound racial when announcers go there. Many of them do it, so I readily admit that maybe I am missing something.

PS: I read a quote by Speilmann in which he stated that he hated the label of a "smart" player because of the amount of time he spent working out and practicing.

Dick Enberg is probably the best play-by-play man I've ever heard....with Al Michaels coming in a close second.

Analysts are difficult, but the one I like these days is Paul McGuire. I wish he would be doing more NFL games, but he's fun to listen to. He does plenty of analysis, but mixes in enough humor to make the game more enjoyable to watch.

I mostly enjoy listening to Simms.

I do enjoy Jaws, but I get tired of him starting every friggin conversation with "When I reviewed the film from his last game..." OK, we get it already.

Replace him after one week in the booth...Bryant Gumble. I thought he stunk with a capital S last Thursday. I hope that he quickly retreats to HBO.

Dick Enberg is probably the best play-by-play man I've ever heard....with Al Michaels coming in a close second.

Analysts are difficult, but the one I like these days is Paul McGuire. I wish he would be doing more NFL games, but he's fun to listen to. He does plenty of analysis, but mixes in enough humor to make the game more enjoyable to watch.

851452[/snapback]

OH...my!

OH...my!

851490[/snapback]

Once upon a time back in the old NBC days I really enjoyed Endberg and Dierdorf as a team. Unfortunately since that time Dan has turned himself into Dierdork and I can't stand listening to him. If memory serves, this transformation took place around the time he visited MNF.

Once upon a time back in the old NBC days I really enjoyed Endberg and Dierdorf as a team.  Unfortunately since that time Dan has turned himself into Dierdork and I can't stand listening to him.  If memory serves, this transformation took place around the time he visited MNF.

851497[/snapback]

I thought Dierdork was on the MNF crew when NBC had the AFC games in the early 90s.

Once upon a time back in the old NBC days I really enjoyed Endberg and Dierdorf as a team.  Unfortunately since that time Dan has turned himself into Dierdork and I can't stand listening to him.  If memory serves, this transformation took place around the time he visited MNF.

851497[/snapback]

Yeah I think Dierdorf felt he had to fill the Alex Karras role on MNF - I do hear that he's a pretty nice guy when you meet him. Dick Enberg, to me, has always been a class act.

One of the many betting pools we used to have on Superbowl Sunday was how long before Enberg says it - a couple of times he didn't even wait for the opening kickoff...

"OH...my!"

Before he went to MNF (can't recollect the year) he was teamed with Endberg as the #1 team at NBC...I think...

851527[/snapback]

I don't remember Dierdorf until he showed up on MNF, but after he left there, he teamed with Enberg at CBS.

Prior to NBC losing the AFC games to CBS, Enberg did games with Merlin Olsen, then Bob Trumpy, then with Simms & McGuire.

Dick Enberg has always been a class act and he's a pleasure to listen broadcast any sport - be it football, basketball, or the Olympics.

I don't remember Dierdorf until he showed up on MNF, but after he left there, he teamed with Enberg at CBS.

Prior to NBC losing the AFC games to CBS, Enberg did games with Merlin Olsen, then Bob Trumpy, then with Simms & McGuire.

851657[/snapback]

Bill Walsh as well.

I could be wrong, but I don't think Dierdorf ever worked for NBC. I believe he came over to MNF from CBS where he worked NFC games.