Bills 6 Point Underdog

truth on hold

Home Field usually adds 3 so that means in neutral territory Bills would be 9 point underdog.  Clearly odds maker not giving much respect to Bills and a lot to San Diego even though they didn't do much against the Raiders.

http://www.nypost.com/sports/betting/reg/postline.htm

850077[/snapback]

If they respect us anymore they would get killed with one sided action. As it is I guarantee the Chargers will be one of the most heavily bet teams this week.

Home Field usually adds 3 so that means in neutral territory Bills would be 9 point underdog.  Clearly odds maker not giving much respect to Bills and a lot to San Diego even though they didn't do much against the Raiders.

850077[/snapback]

They beay us by 38 last year. But I guess since that was in San Diego, it's only like 35.

Most people do not understand odds making. The odds are set at a point that the odds maker think will get equal money bet on both sides. The odds makers are guaranteed to make money if there is equal money on both sides. Therefore, the odds makers aren't trying to predict how much a team will win by but instead the spread that will take equal betting on both sides.

850077[/snapback]

I think a 6 point margin is just about righty---maybe even a bit slim. If the chargers beat us by 6 points most of us will claim that they put in a good solid effort. Chargers may be among thge top 3 teams in the league right now.

I think a 6 point margin is just about righty---maybe even a bit slim. If the chargers beat us by 6 points most of us will claim that they put in a good solid effort. Chargers may be among thge top 3 teams in the league right now.

850094[/snapback]

I think they're #2 behind the Ravens. Point spread looks about right to me.

Most people do not understand odds making.  The odds are set at a point that the odds maker think will get equal money bet on both sides.  The odds makers are guaranteed to make money if there is equal money on both sides.  Therefore, the odds makers aren't trying to predict how much a team will win by but instead the spread that will take equal betting on both sides.

850089[/snapback]

Yes true----but usually it is a line that ends up being pretty close overall to the real outcome.The two arent mutually exclusive.

The exception is a place like Reno---where the raiders will get unrealistic odds because of the heavy homer betting on them.

Most people do not understand odds making.  The odds are set at a point that the odds maker think will get equal money bet on both sides.  The odds makers are guaranteed to make money if there is equal money on both sides.  Therefore, the odds makers aren't trying to predict how much a team will win by but instead the spread that will take equal betting on both sides.

850089[/snapback]

You really think the books are getting equal action on that line? I think the books are getting pounded with SD bets.

850089[/snapback]

I don't know about this kind of stuff. Can you explain that to me? How are they gauranteed to make money if there's even betting...wouldn't they be gauranteed to break even? :D

I don't know about this kind of stuff. Can you explain that to me? How are they gauranteed to make money if there's even betting...wouldn't they be gauranteed to break even?  :D

850147[/snapback]

Juice, you pay between 3%-10% for a winning bet, or more.

Edit: Say I take Buffalo -3 at -110 odds. I bet 100$, I would win 90$. The -110 after the line is the juice.

Last year, "with touchdowns on five of their first seven first-half possessions, San Diego overwhelmed the visiting Buffalo Bills 48-10 after charging out to a 35-10 lead at the half. "

850148[/snapback]

Yeah, that was one of Mularkey's gems of coaching. It was the game I decided that he didn't have a clue as a HC.

One thing about setting the odds; it's more a measure of public perception than reality. The last 3 games I believe the Bills beat the point spread by 7. 6 , and 6. It may have more than 7 for Indy, I don't remember. The point is that the public doesn't wise up to a team until they lose betting against them for 4 straight, in general. If the Bills win or come extremely close to winning, the under the radar days will be over.