I hate to say this, but...

Kelly the Dog

We'd all love to say, "See, I told ya so!", let JP be JP! But it seems to me that Jauron and Fairchild actually knew what they were doing by keeping the reigns on him for quite some time, and then only allowing him to open it up against these guys in this game. If they used that gameplan against the Colts, for instance, Losman would have been killed. Don't over-react, the OL still stinks. Perhaps they took a sizable step this week which will help with their confidence in themselves and each other but this was the game to do it, and they did it. Indy was not, regardless of the stats. Look at the time Losman had in the Indy game. He never would have gotten those balls off the Evans in the first place.

The team won the GB game by limiting the mistakes and hoping JP could come up with one big play to win. They did it and it turned out well. It may have been luck but that was clearly the gameplan and clearly it worked because of the win. Against Indy, a team everyone thought they would get blown out by, and should have, it worked again. It looked bad, it was frustrating to watch, but they kept the team in the game. That was a game they could have stolen at the end. It was, again, clearly the gameplan and it failed that time but almost worked. And again, if they used the Texans gameplan in the Indy game, I think we lose by 23.

So I think we have to give them some credit. I think PERHAPS they know what they're doing with JP. And I predict that they take a step back this week, and don't let him air it out, but this week the gameplan will be somewhere in between Indy's and the Texans. It's also probably better for JP in the long run to make him into a well rounded player like they have been doing.

Its worth noting how well prepared the team has been the past three weeks. Each week the coaching staff has put the Bills in a position to win the game at the end. You can't really ask for much more from a coaching staff. It hasn't always been pretty but it doesn't have to be. You want a staff to play to the limitations and strengths of his team and his opponents. The staff has done that very well the past three weeks overall (though I could quibble with a few decisions here and there.)

It's also worth mentioning that JP has made plays in the fourth quarter of 2 of the last 3 games to help the team win.

We'd all love to say, "See, I told ya so!", let JP be JP! But it seems to me that Jauron and Fairchild actually knew what they were doing by keeping the reigns on him for quite some time, and then only allowing him to open it up against these guys in this game. If they used that gameplan against the Colts, for instance, Losman would have been killed. Don't over-react, the OL still stinks. Perhaps they took a sizable step this week which will help with their confidence in themselves and each other but this was the game to do it, and they did it. Indy was not, regardless of the stats. Look at the time Losman had in the Indy game. He never would have gotten those balls off the Evans in the first place.

The team won the GB game by limiting the mistakes and hoping JP could come up with one big play to win. They did it and it turned out well. It may have been luck but that was clearly the gameplan and clearly it worked because of the win. Against Indy, a team everyone thought they would get blown out by, and should have, it worked again. It looked bad, it was frustrating to watch, but they kept the team in the game. That was a game they could have stolen at the end. It was, again, clearly the gameplan and it failed  that time but almost worked. And again, if they used the Texans gameplan in the Indy game, I think we lose by 23.

So I think we have to give them some credit. I think PERHAPS they know what they're doing with JP. And I predict that they take a step back this week, and don't let him air it out, but this week the gameplan will be somewhere in between Indy's and the Texans. It's also probably better for JP in the long run to make him into a well rounded player like they have been doing.

843381[/snapback]

Good post. I had some similar thoughts. I watched old Mark Brunell of the 'Skins look all world against the Texans, now he is benched. Like the frontpage survey says, this is a great step forward, but people are still guarded on JP's development. I will leave that debate to other threads.

I think this was a great win and great confidence builder for JP and the team. I look for the Bills to be more balanced in their game plan of mixing run/pass for next week. you said it all here..."It's also probably better for JP in the long run to make him into a well rounded player like they have been doing."

The team won the GB game by limiting the mistakes and hoping JP could come up with one big play to win. They did it and it turned out well. It may have been luck but that was clearly the gameplan and clearly it worked because of the win. Against Indy, a team everyone thought they would get blown out by, and should have, it worked again. It looked bad, it was frustrating to watch, but they kept the team in the game. That was a game they could have stolen at the end. It was, again, clearly the gameplan and it failed  that time but almost worked. And again, if they used the Texans gameplan in the Indy game, I think we lose by 23.

843381[/snapback]

The conservative gameplan in the GB game could have also been because they wanted to limit the chances of Losman getting killed dropping back to pass with a completly revamped o-line and decided to give them time to gel as a unit

Although I'm sure after yesterdays game they were all right when they said the team just wanted to limit JP cause they have no faith in him as a QB and are looking forward to drafting Quinn (and kicking themsleves for not getting Leinart)

Also the # of penalties have greatly been reduced as the season has progressed including STUPID penalties

New Eng - 7 for 53 yards

Miami - 4 for 30 yards

NY Jets - 8 for 52 yards

Minnesota- 12 for 78 yards

Chicago - 7 for 44 yards

Detroit - 2 for 20 yards

New Eng - 3 for 25 yards

Green Bay - 5 for 36 yards

Indy - 5 for 40 yards

Houston - 3 for 17 yards

Also the # of penalties have greatly been reduced as the season has progressed including STUPID penalties

New Eng  -    7 for 53 yards

Miami      -    4 for 30 yards

NY Jets    -    8 for 52 yards

Minnesota-  12 for 78 yards

Chicago  -    7  for 44 yards

Detroit    -    2  for 20 yards

New Eng  -    3  for  25 yards

Green Bay -  5 for 36 yards

Indy          -  5 for 40 yards

Houston    -  3 for 17 yards

843465[/snapback]

Hopefully that will continue. Just not getting the stupid illegal motion penalties was a huge plus yesterday. The team is getting a little more disciplined, which is good. I hope it lasts as I am clearly not convinced of it yet.

Another thing that deserves noting is the Bills had terrible field position all day. They were starting back at their 10 yard line the entire game it seemed. The average start was at the 19 yard line, and there were series starting at the 3, 13, 27, 11, 16, 26, 5, 6, 2, 32, 38, 45. That last drive, starting at the 45, directly a result of the Jauron decision to punt.

Hopefully that will continue. Just not getting the stupid illegal motion penalties was a huge plus yesterday. The team is getting a little more disciplined, which is good. I hope it lasts as I am clearly not convinced of it yet.

Another thing that deserves noting is the Bills had terrible field position all day. They were starting back at their 10 yard line the entire game it seemed. The average start was at the 19 yard line, and there were series starting at the 3, 13,  27, 11, 16, 26, 5, 6, 2, 32, 38, 45. That last drive, starting at the 45, directly a result of the Jauron decision to punt.

843491[/snapback]

I had the great pleusure of being at yesterdays' game, and there were two plays that really stuck out, in my mind, that showed that Losman is progressing. One was early in the fourth qtr, when JP scrambled around in the backfield, he had Andre Davis blowing past his coverage, as he was running to his left. It looked, for the splitest of seconds, JP thought about lobbing the ball over the entire defense to hit Davis. It most likely would have been picked off...JP wisely decided to tuck and run, and picked up about 4 yards.

The other play, was the winning td pass. Roscoe Parrish appeared open for a flash, but a Houston defender was primed to pick off, or at least block, any pass that went to Parrish. Losman showed great vision, in finding Price in the endzone.

As great as JP played yesterday, you can't take anything away from how great the defense played in the second half, fourth qtr especially. True, they were aided, in part, on some questionable play calling by Houston, but they made the stops they needed to make, and adjusted well to eliminate the Houston running threat.

JP had the one unfortunate interception from the endzone, but considering how awful the Bills field position was the bulk of the game, they played smart, and didn't make any (other) bad plays close to their own endzone.

Great game!

JP had the one unfortunate interception from the endzone, but considering how awful the Bills field position was the bulk of the game, they played smart, and didn't make any (other) bad plays close to their own endzone.

843527[/snapback]

I was particularly glad to see that, after his pick, they didn't shy away from him throwing while they were again with their backs to the endzone. I thought for sure we'd run the ball three times to give Moorman room to punt, but they didn't and it made me feel quite a bit better about the coaching decisions.

but they didn't and it made me feel quite a bit better about the coaching decisions.

843532[/snapback]

And keep Losmans confidence at a high...Losman got a chance to show to people that if he gets the ball he will make plays as well as mistakes...But you got to give him the ball and learn from his mistakes.

We'd all love to say, "See, I told ya so!", let JP be JP! But it seems to me that Jauron and Fairchild actually knew what they were doing by keeping the reigns on him

843381[/snapback]

Playing possum to take advantage of the Texans ?

I kid, but really Indy and Green Bay aren't all that terrifying on defense. I would have liked to see the "83 yard pass play" earlier this season. It is obviously in the playbook.

Playing possum to take advantage of the Texans ?

I kid, but really Indy and Green Bay aren't all that terrifying on defense. I would have liked to see the "83 yard pass play" earlier this season. It is obviously in the playbook.

843801[/snapback]

The difference between Houston and Indy/GB was the DEs.

Both Indy and GB had some fearsome pass rush (as evident by the sacks) and our line was incapable of handling that and killing Losman. So it was prudent that we run the ball, punt and make plays on the defense...

However, with Houston not generating much pass rush, there was a chance that we could air it out and that Losman would get some time to make his throws and he did just that.

843381[/snapback]

Jauron and Co. are doing a very good job. The team is in the game just about every week. We have some major holes, especially on offense but we are managing to keep it close and be competitive.

We are definitey not an elite playoff team, but we are moving up from bottomfeeders toward the middle of the pack.

We are definitey not an elite playoff team, but we are moving up from bottomfeeders  toward the middle of the pack.

843879[/snapback]

We will once we learn to STOP the Run and Run the ball consistently ourselves.

Until then we will be on a roller-coaster ride depending on the type of team we face.

I thought the game plans were terrible the GB/Indy game and that is why I have resurfaced after a number of years on this site....

The defensive bend/don't break mentality has allowed over 400 yards a game and we have been lucky and got some very lucky fumbles and a bad int (vs. GB).

Yesterday was better on the offensive side, which is interesting as Houston's defence is actually better then GB and not much different then Indy's.

To me the problem has been terrible game plans this season and a lack of imagination.

I thought the game plans were terrible the GB/Indy game and that is why I have resurfaced after a number of years on this site....

The defensive bend/don't break mentality has allowed over 400 yards a game and we have been lucky and got some very lucky fumbles and a bad int (vs. GB).

Yesterday was better on the offensive side, which is interesting as Houston's defence is actually better then GB and not much different then Indy's.

To me the problem has been terrible game plans this season and a lack of imagination.

843899[/snapback]

Even though the pass protection was horrible in those 2 games, I agree with you. The playcalling was timid and uncreative.

843381[/snapback]

I couldn't agree more. JP has been running for his life since his days at Tulane. He already knows how to run. He needed to learn the more traditional aspects of being a qb in the NFL.

Great post!

Even though the pass protection was horrible in those 2 games, I agree with you. The playcalling was timid and uncreative.

843928[/snapback]

And if they opened it up Losman would have got killed, the defense would have been on the field a lot more and the score would have been a blowout. The line simply could not protect him AT ALL in either of those games. Yes, he could have rolled out a little more. Yes, there could have been some more creative playcalling. But the object of the game is to win, and they thought this gave them the best chance to win. Looking back at it, it wasn't that they were scared of letting Losman loose, they were scared of letting Losman loose in those games against those teams. Throw out the stats, look at the games. he had zero time in both the GB game and the Indy game. He had all kinds of time in the Texans game. They made the right choice it seems to me.

And if they opened it up Losman would have got killed, the defense would have been on the field a lot more and the score would have been a blowout. The line simply could not protect him AT ALL in either of those games. Yes, he could have rolled out a little more. Yes, there could have been some more creative playcalling. But the object of the game is to win, and they thought this gave them the best chance to win. Looking back at it, it wasn't that they were scared of letting Losman loose, they were scared of letting Losman loose in those games against those teams. Throw out the stats, look at the games. he had zero time in both the GB game and the Indy game. He had all kinds of time in the Texans game. They made the right choice it seems to me.

843974[/snapback]

I agree 100%. People feel like we're holding him back to avoid having him screw up, but it seems to me we're simply gameplanning for the defenses we're up against. You only need to see how many times they let him throw from the endzone yesterday to get that point.

I agree 100%. People feel like we're holding him back to avoid having him screw up, but it seems to me we're simply gameplanning for the defenses we're up against. You only need to see how many times they let him throw from the endzone yesterday to get that point.

843978[/snapback]

I forgot the 32nd ranked pass defense GB @ home and a team with all of 11 sacks Indy. Bad schemes, timid uninspired palycalling killed us. You get sacked when you call pass plays on third and long and have a TE blocking the best speed rusher in the game.