Reyes healthy but still inactive

5 Wide

i say we bring George Wilson up from the Practice squad

838610[/snapback]

Wilson should be considered if Reed is going to be out. Although we might want to look over the waiver wire/free agents to replace Chris V. Ross I know Ross Tucker's still out there. Another veteran OG to consider could be Tom Nutten, who Levy should be familiar and has ties to Steve Fairchild in St Louis.

Wilson should be considered if Reed is going to be out. Although we might want to look over the waiver wire/free agents to replace Chris V. Ross  I know Ross Tucker's still out there. Another veteran OG to consider could be Tom Nutten, who Levy should be familiar and has ties to Steve Fairchild in St Louis.

838653[/snapback]

Tucker was suited up for the Browns last week. Good bet he is not still out there.

It's probably better for the long term future to get the always-hurt Chris Villarial out of the line up to see if one of the draft picks can fill that role. As for Neufeld, what has he done except get penalties at inopportune times?

RTB

838612[/snapback]

Actually, Neufeld will be a big loss. He started on all the special teams units. He's done really well blocking on the wedge. I bet our special teams will suffer without him and Stamer out there. And Neufeld had actually replaced Everett as the #2 tight end. Lord forbid Royal gets hurt - then it's Everett and I'm guessing Cieslak as our tight ends. Scary, very scary.

Actually, Neufeld will be a big loss.  He started on all the special teams units.  He's done really well blocking on the wedge.  I bet our special teams will suffer without him and Stamer out there.  And Neufeld had actually replaced Everett as the #2 tight end.  Lord forbid Royal gets hurt - then it's Everett and I'm guessing Cieslak as our tight ends.  Scary, very scary.

838729[/snapback]

True. It's amazing the ST have rebounded -- I think they definitely felt the loss of Stamer. I didn't realize Neufeld was so hurt. That's unfortunate for the ST as well.

However, and I think this is important -- the special teams are very good on this team. However, we have quite a few guys who are ST heroes only and I think that the team is just a little too worried about losing some of them considering the failures on some of the other sides of the ball. I'm talking Neufeld, Wire, Stamer (who I do actually like at LB much better than Haggan), Davis. Sure, each of them contributes in that part of the game. I still might swap out one or two of them for a guy who could contribute in bigger ways on offense and/or defense.

Cieslak moves into the picture then. Based on reports in the offseason and preseason, Cieslak is very physical. From what I've seen Neufeld is more of the pass catching type. And, I've not seen him jack anyone up... Losing Nuefeld doesn't seem to me to have much of an effect on anything.

Villarial... well he's on the wrong side of 30. I think he's most effective when the guys around him are at least his calibre or better. But... he also seems to not be too durable.

Cieslak moves into the picture then.  Based on reports in the offseason and preseason, Cieslak is very physical.  From what I've seen Neufeld is more of the pass catching type.  And, I've not seen him jack anyone up... Losing Nuefeld doesn't seem to me to have much of an effect on anything.

Villarial... well he's on the wrong side of 30.  I think he's most effective when the guys around him are at least his calibre or better.  But... he also seems to not be too durable.

839133[/snapback]

Calling Neufeld a pass catching tight end shows how bad our TE situation is. Cieslak was a workout warrior that couldn't translate it to the field, hence the PS. Villarial, he's done. He's been done for about 2 years now. He was never very good in pass protection but was known as a guy who could anchor and drive off the ball in rushing situations. That's gone now too. Seems like a good guy, loves football. His body just won't let him do it anymore.

WHY PRESTON OVER REYES: Duke Preston will be manning the right guard spot left vacated by Villarrial. Jauron when asked explained why they plugged Preston in rather than Reyes.

"Duke played pretty well in the game on Sunday," said Jauron. "He's a bigger, more powerful man than Tutan. He doesn't have the same experience, but we need to see him and evaluate him. We think he's playing pretty well. We don't think there's a big drop there in terms of performance."

What exactly does that say about CV, even TR?

According to Dick...the really suck...

Boy, how did Reyes fall so far from grace? I didn't think he looked all that bad--but obviously the staff did.

Imagine a right side of the line with Merz and Pennington--could be trouble.

838600[/snapback]

Its very interesting. I bet there is more to the story, maybe he was angry about his demotion and causing some drama in the lockerroom and with the coaches or something... missing meeting etc.

WHY PRESTON OVER REYES: Duke Preston will be manning the right guard spot left vacated by Villarrial. Jauron when asked explained why they plugged Preston in rather than Reyes.

"Duke played pretty well in the game on Sunday," said Jauron. "He's a bigger, more powerful man than Tutan. He doesn't have the same experience, but we need to see him and evaluate him. We think he's playing pretty well. We don't think there's a big drop there in terms of performance."

What exactly does that say about CV, even TR?

According to Dick...the really suck...

839143[/snapback]

Based on those comments, its sounding like the coaching staff is taking a Pre-season type of approach to the remainder of the season. It looks like its going to be evaluations from here, on out

Cieslak moves into the picture then.  Based on reports in the offseason and preseason, Cieslak is very physical.  From what I've seen Neufeld is more of the pass catching type.  And, I've not seen him jack anyone up... Losing Nuefeld doesn't seem to me to have much of an effect on anything.

Villarial... well he's on the wrong side of 30.  I think he's most effective when the guys around him are at least his calibre or better.  But... he also seems to not be too durable.

839133[/snapback]

Cieslak ain't squat. The coaches were handing him the #2 spot during the offseason and he quickly worked his way down the depth chart. Neufeld will be a big loss, especially on special teams. He started on just about every unit. And based on the last two games, it looked like Neufeld had actually replaced Everett as the #2. He's definitely a loss.

And with Villarial out, JP better watch his back.

Actually, Neufeld will be a big loss.  He started on all the special teams units.  He's done really well blocking on the wedge.  I bet our special teams will suffer without him and Stamer out there.  And Neufeld had actually replaced Everett as the #2 tight end.  Lord forbid Royal gets hurt - then it's Everett and I'm guessing Cieslak as our tight ends.  Scary, very scary.

838729[/snapback]

Neufeld is a penalty machine. Cut him.

The contract Reyes got from the Bills (around half a mill for one year) seemed to be an indicator that they did not visualize him as a long term answer for the team (for example FA Fowler got a significant bonus and multi-year deal) while draftee Preston has more upside.

As far as Neufeld, while he is not good enough in terms of his play to be more than a role player for us and preferably cut, he is no where near as bad as some of the negative reactions from some folks in this thread.

He is another player whom it is a great sign for your team if you can cut him as it means you have more than role play talent at his position. However, given some of poor play and problems we have had from players who were supposed to be dominant at their positions (Royal has been up and down at TE with some nice catches AND also recurring penalties while Everett has not asserted himself though his lost season to injury last year makes him a worthwhile experiment next season) Neufeld has actually performed OK and above expectations as a role player on ST and even getting a TD as a TE in the redzone.

I hope we have enough talent to cut Neufeld next year but I do value his play this year on a bad team.