Watch Toronto Maple Leafs win Stanley Cup

millbank

Toronto Maple Leafs Win Eleventh Stanley Cup

Game six , Montreal Canadians- Toronto Maple Leafs

Baun, Horton, Shack, Armstrong, Bower, Keon, the big M, Bill Hewitt announcing. Three people have announced Hockey night in Canada, Foster Hewitt, Bill Hewitt, Bob Cole. First hockey game was broadcast via telephone, 1923 by Foster.

Notice the players, no helmets, Gump Worsley no mask, notice the lack of big shoulder pads, fans able to see players faces clearly. Wood sticks, Makita at the time one of very few to use curved blade. Very few used slapshot. It was how the game should be played. Interestingly Leafs of this time used tactic that later became knows as the trap. Devils hardly invented it. Still players played the game hard , but with sticks down, hitting hard but with respect for each other.

thats the closest any leaf is going to be to the cup for a loooooong time. :P

823166[/snapback]

Not necessarily, some might leave the glof course early to watch the parade in Buffalo and try to get close to it then. You know the fans will be doing the same, converting after their season is over and the playoffs start, they'll switch over to the Sabres and act as if they were always a favorite. :angry:

Not necessarily, some might leave the glof course early to watch the parade in Buffalo and try to get close to it then. You know the fans will be doing the same, converting after their season is over and the playoffs start, they'll switch over to the Sabres and act as if they were always a favorite.  :angry:

823176[/snapback]

in canada, can a person use morris code to reserve a tee time on the glof course? :P j/k

A Canadian guy is walking down the street with a case of beer under his arm.

His friend Randy stops him and asks, "Hey Dave! Whatcha got that case of beer for?"

"Well, I got it for my wife, you see?" answers Dave.

"Wow," exclaims Randy, "Great trade."

You know the fans will be doing the same, converting after their season is over and the playoffs start, they'll switch over to the Sabres and act as if they were always a favorite.  :angry:

823176[/snapback]

That was last year! :P

Toronto Maple Leafs Win Eleventh Stanley Cup 

Game six , Montreal Canadians- Toronto Maple Leafs

Baun, Horton, Shack, Armstrong, Bower, Keon, the big M,  Bill Hewitt announcing. Three people have announced Hockey night in Canada, Foster Hewitt, Bill Hewitt, Bob Cole.  First  hockey game was broadcast via telephone, 1923 by Foster.

Notice the players, no helmets, Gump Worsley no mask, notice the lack of big shoulder pads, fans able to see players faces clearly.  Wood sticks, Makita at the time one of very few to use curved blade. Very few used slapshot.  It was how the game should be played.  Interestingly Leafs of this time used tactic that later became knows as the trap. Devils hardly invented it. Still players played the game hard , but with sticks down, hitting hard but with respect for each other.

823077[/snapback]

I wonder if Leafs fan use this to comfort themselves at the fact that they suck. :angry::P

thats the closest any leaf is going to be to the cup for a loooooong time. :w00t:

823166[/snapback]

This being said by a Buffalo Sabres fan. I know I complain everytime I go to the HSBC Arena and constantly complain about all the Stanley Cup banners that block my view of the ice.....

RRRRRRRRRight.......... :D

Oh, sorry, so you Leaf fans will be converting before your seasons over this year?

823252[/snapback]

Some made the permanent switch last year. Except for these games.

No self respecting hockey fan can say that he is a Leaf fan when that team still employs Wade Belak.

Some made the permanent switch last year. Except for these games.

No self respecting hockey fan can say that he is a Leaf fan when that team still employs Wade Belak.

823285[/snapback]

What a joke. I stuck with Ronald Corey and you can't stick with Wade Belak?

This being said by a Buffalo Sabres fan.  I know I complain everytime I go to the HSBC Arena and constantly complain about all the Stanley Cup banners that block my view of the ice.....

RRRRRRRRRight.......... :D

823280[/snapback]

Hey man, we've been to the dance twice since coming into the league (almost 3) How many have the Leafs been too since the Sabres came into the league? Its nice to talk about all those cups won when you had a 1:6 chance of winning one every year

Hey man, we've been to the dance twice since coming into the league (almost 3) How many have the Leafs been too since the Sabres came into the league? Its nice to talk about all those cups won when you had a 1:6 chance of winning one every year

823307[/snapback]

You guys have been around since 1970 (I think)....you've had a pretty good chance to win one as well. Fact remains you haven't and the Leafs have raised Stanley's Mug 11 times........

Being a Bills fan, I argue with my friends who is more likely to win a championship first the Bills or the Leafs........we all agreed the Leafs....

Why do my teams suck?!?!?

You guys have been around since 1970 (I think)....you've had a pretty good chance to win one as well.  Fact remains you haven't and the Leafs have raised Stanley's Mug 11 times........

823751[/snapback]

Thats right the Sabres have had plenty of time to win one, but so have the Leafs, in the time the Sabres have been in the league, The Laughs haven't even been in the finals. Its hard to compare your cup wins to Buffalo when they were all won before the Sabres where even a team, They were also won when the league had 6 teams.

Thats right the Sabres have had plenty of time to win one, but so have the Leafs, in the time the Sabres have been in the league, The Laughs haven't even been in the finals. Its hard to compare your cup wins to Buffalo when they were all won before the Sabres where even a team, They were also won when the league had 6 teams.

823769[/snapback]

You are seriously wanting to invalidate hockey from 1912 – 70. I gather you have visited the hockey hall of fame. Have at least read of the great Montreal Canadians, Bruins, Rangers, Red Wings, Blackhawk’s, and Maple Leafs, first called the Blue Shirts. Do you do the same with Babe Ruth in Baseball, with Bill Russell in Basketball, with Ali in Boxing, Is it only about what you have seen as being valid..

You might enjoy the season. Time will come when the Sabres are a middle of the pack team or lower, it’s the nature of sport, these days you will hold precious the time you seen your team do well, they very well may even win a Cup, and you know the nature of life is down the road a young man will be telling you, its not valid, how will you answer?

You are seriously wanting to invalidate hockey from 1912 – 70.  I gather you have visited the hockey hall of fame.  Have at least read of the great Montreal Canadians, Bruins, Rangers, Red Wings, Blackhawk’s, and Maple Leafs, first called the Blue Shirts.  Do you do the same with Babe Ruth in Baseball, with Bill Russell in Basketball, with Ali in Boxing,  Is it only about  what you have seen as being valid..

You might enjoy the season. Time will come when the Sabres are a middle of the pack team or lower, it’s the nature of sport, these days you will hold precious the time you seen your team do well, they very well may even win a Cup, and you know the nature of life is down the road a young man will be telling you, its not valid, how will you answer?

823823[/snapback]

No I'm not invalidating hockey during that time, I just don't validate Leafs fans that want to throw it in the face of Sabres fans that they have so many cups when none of them have come in the time that the Sabres have even been in the league. If the Sabres had won the cup in the 70's against the Flyers, or in 99 against the Stars, I wouldn't go up to a Minnesota Wild fan or Nashville Preditors and use the amount of Cups Buffalo won in an arguement against them.

That is the only arguement you get from a Leafs fan when they are arguing with a Sabres fan, "Yeah, well atleast we won the cup", or "Yeah well how many cups have the Sabres won?" Its not a valid arguement when the team you are arguing for has never won the cup (let alone been to the finals) since the other team has been in the league.

You guys have been around since 1970 (I think)....you've had a pretty good chance to win one as well.  Fact remains you haven't and the Leafs have raised Stanley's Mug 11 times........

Being a Bills fan, I argue with my friends who is more likely to win a championship first the Bills or the Leafs........we all agreed the Leafs....

Why do my teams suck?!?!?

823751[/snapback]

Why don't you count the 2 SC's they won before they were called the Loafs? I would expect a Laff fan to know a LITTLE bit about his team's history. I guess not. :devil:

To answer your question, because you're a Loaf fan. :wub:

No I'm not invalidating hockey during that time, I just don't validate Leafs fans that want to throw it in the face of Sabres fans that they have so many cups when none of them have come in the time that the Sabres have even been in the league. If the Sabres had won the cup in the 70's against the Flyers, or in 99 against the Stars, I wouldn't go up to a Minnesota Wild fan or Nashville Preditors and use the amount of Cups Buffalo won in an arguement against them.

That is the only arguement you get from a Leafs fan when they are arguing with a Sabres fan, "Yeah, well atleast we won the cup", or "Yeah well how many cups have the Sabres won?" Its not a valid arguement when the team you are arguing for has never won the cup (let alone been to the finals) since the other team has been in the league.

823831[/snapback]

If the Sabres were formed in 1995 I'd agree with your comments.....but the Sabres have been around for 36 years. Pretty weak argument.

If the Sabres were formed in 1995 I'd agree with your comments.....but the Sabres have been around for 36 years.  Pretty weak argument.

823840[/snapback]

How is it weak? If the Leafs would have won a Stanley Cup (or even been in the Finals) in those 36 years, you might have an arguement. Maybe that total would have been different had Buffalo been an original 6 team, maybe they would be tied with Toronto in SC wins. But no matter how you look at it, since Buffalo has been in the league (the amount of time they have had to win the cup) the leafs and Sabres have the same amount of championships

You are seriously wanting to invalidate hockey from 1912 – 70. 

Invalidate it? Nah, just put it in perspective. It was a hell of alot easier to win a Cup when there was ONE FIFTH the teams and market sizes were relatively equal.

823823[/snapback]

There will be a difference when that happens too. There will be no teams that'll be outspending our little team by 300% because they can't develop their own players.

You are seriously wanting to invalidate hockey from 1912 – 70.  I gather you have visited the hockey hall of fame.  Have at least read of the great Montreal Canadians, Bruins, Rangers, Red Wings, Blackhawk’s, and Maple Leafs, first called the Blue Shirts.  Do you do the same with Babe Ruth in Baseball, with Bill Russell in Basketball, with Ali in Boxing,  Is it only about  what you have seen as being valid..

823823[/snapback]

Which great Blackhawks team are you referring to? The '37-'38 squad that won the Stanley Cup with a losing record? Their other 2 SC winners that were not more than 5 games over 0.500. That '61 team that won the SC was good but not great. Or any of their other teams prior to '67, which was the 1st year they actually had very good teams.

Trouble is, none of those very good teams has had any more success than Buffalo or Toronto (i.e., they haven't brought home a SC either).

Why don't you count the 2 SC's they won before they were called the Loafs?  I would expect a Laff fan to know a LITTLE bit about his team's history.  I guess not.  :devil:

To answer your question, because you're a Loaf fan.  :wub:

823837[/snapback]

I guess we're done with the intelligent debate on here. Thank you for your comments. I'll take them under advisement.

If the Sabres were formed in 1995 I'd agree with your comments.....but the Sabres have been around for 36 years.  Pretty weak argument.

823840[/snapback]

Out of curiosity, have the Loafs won a championship in YOUR lifetime?

I guess we're done with the intelligent debate on here.  Thank you for your comments.  I'll take them under advisement.

823853[/snapback]

You still haven't answered my question why you don't consider the SC that the Arenas won, nor why you don't consider the SC that the St. Pats won in your beloved team's total.