Michael J. Fox vs. Rush Limbaugh

inkman

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like claiming republicans want to starve children, burn black churches, throw old people out in the street...So what's new?

817917[/snapback]

They don't? <_< Some do...especially south of the mason-dixon line.

Actually, the issue was that Fox purposefully didn't take his meds before taping the ad, to show people what his disease is really like. I don't think he has admitted it but that is what he did and admitted when appearing before Congress. So he was shaking a lot more than he may normally do in a day when he takes all his meds. Limbaugh thought that was being dishonest (and was probably half correct, as he said Fox "s either off his meds or acting". But Fox IS that bad right now, he just has some drugs that calm it down a lot most of the time. He shakes like a mofo as it is, with the meds. Without them, he looks like a nervous alcoholic third base coach after doing a sheet of microdot.

817845[/snapback]

I do not see why anyone would think Fox was being dishonest.

He has an incurable disease and controls some of the visible symptoms with medication.

It is much more effective to demonstrate what Parkinsons is doing to him!

A sheet of microdot?

You ARE old. <_<

817979[/snapback]

No matter how you slice it, I can see why people would think that.

Also, no matter how you slice it, I don't see why anyone cares. Fox is entitled to stump for his agenda. Rush is entitled to stump for his. Fox has a chronic debilitating physical disorder, Rush has a chronic debilitating emotional disorder. BFD.

From what I heard, it's about using his affliction to help defeat republican candidates, by dishonestly claiming they are not in favor of research that might find cures for various diseases.  Just same old politcs stuff.  Like claiming republicans want to starve children, burn black churches, throw old people out in the street...So what's new?

817917[/snapback]

Do you have a link to back up this up? I have no agenda in asking this, I am just curious about the details of what happened.

I am a Republican, but an anarchist first. <_<

He has an incurable disease and controls some of the visible symptoms  with medication.

It is much more effective to demonstrate what Parkinsons is doing to him!

A sheet of microdot?

You ARE old.  <_<

817979[/snapback]

Old and wrong. Botter comes in sheets, not microdots. :angry:

No matter how you slice it, I can see why people would think that.

Also, no matter how you slice it, I don't see why anyone cares.  Fox is entitled to stump for his agenda.  Rush is entitled to stump for his.  Fox has a chronic debilitating physical disorder, Rush has a chronic debilitating emotional disorder.  BFD.

817982[/snapback]

I am trying to stay out of this, but they discussed this on the news last night. Fox when interviewed did in fact say that he would purposly not take the medicine before he was speaking out, specifically to defeat all candidates who were against embryonic stem cell research. While he didn't say republicans, we all know Christian conservatives who tned to be republicans is who he is targetting.

This came up locally because in the Maryland race Steele who is a repub in name only, otherwise very middle to liberal in a lot of things, has said he supports adult stem cell research but opposes embryonic as noone to this point has proven that it is necessary and useful and will not provide anything that adult stemcells won't.

From what I heard, it's about using his affliction to help defeat republican candidates, by dishonestly claiming they are not in favor of research that might find cures for various diseases.  Just same old politcs stuff.  Like claiming republicans want to starve children, burn black churches, throw old people out in the street...So what's new?

817917[/snapback]

The Republican party and most Republican candidates are against expanding research into stem cells, mainly due to the influence of Fundamental Christian groups.

No one is sure that stem cell research will lead to cures for Parkinson's, Diabetes, Alzheimer's, etc... But do we need the research stopped due to the moral objections of the minority? If you had one of these diseases, how would you feel about politicians blocking research that shows potential for treating or curing these illnesses?

If a politician has taken a stand on either side of this issue, shouldn't their opponent be able to address their opposing views?

I donate to Michael J Fox's foundation.

I listen to Rush Limbaugh.

I have a close family Member in the late stages of parkinsons.

Not sure that makes me any more qualified to discuss this topic...but I'll try. Fox had every right to do what he did. Heck, I support the man alot. He has done alot of good things for his cause. However, once you make the move to become entrenched in the middle of a hotly contensted political campaign, you subject youself to extreme (and often unwarranted) critisism. You cant say he shouldnt have seen this coming...(wow what a bad sentance...anyway) Rush clearly went too far. But i dont think he overall point was that far off base.

That said, I dont think republicans are against stem cell research. Many are against using embryos of aborted babies, but most of the rest are for using other sources of stem cells. Some (like myself) are against government funding of stem cell research. I dont care what pfizer or eli lilly does. And I have no problem with private research of these issues. But to take tax dollars to fund what the private industry with a profit motive can do better is a waste.

I dont think Micheal J. Fox is doing himself or his cause any good here. I really dont. And thats a bit sad.

No one is sure that stem cell research will lead to cures for Parkinson's, Diabetes, Alzheimer's, etc...  But do we need the research stopped due to the moral objections of  the minority?  If you had one of these diseases, how would you feel about politicians blocking research that shows potential for treating or curing these illnesses?

More to the point: no one's sure because the research isn't done yet. But the detractors say "Well, it's not proven it'll lead to a cure, so why do the research?" <_<

And as a point of fact: it's not a "ban" on stem cell research. It's a ban on using federal funds for research on new fetal stem cell lines. It's stupid, yes...but the US leads the world in dollars spent on stem cell research. Plenty of stem cell research is going on in this country, the federal government just isn't paying for it. Which is not necessarily a bad thing...frankly, I question the sanity of anyone who says something isn't being done or isn't being done right because the government isn't involved.

If a politician has taken a stand on either side of this issue, shouldn't their opponent be able to address their opposing views?

818023[/snapback]

And what office, precisely, is Michael J. Fox running for? Who is he opposing again?

...but opposes embryonic as noone to this point has proven that it is necessary and useful and will not provide anything that adult stemcells won't.

818017[/snapback]

"I don't support the research, because no one's done the research."

It is !@#$ing amazing to me that otherwise normal, intelligent adults accept that bull sh-- reasoning. <_<

Old and wrong.  Blotter comes in sheets, not microdots.  :angry:

818005[/snapback]

From drug help.net

"LSD is initially produced in crystalline form. The pure crystal can be crushed to powder and mixed with binding agents to produce tablets known as "microdots" or thin squares of gelatin called "window panes"; more commonly, it is dissolved, diluted, and applied to paper or other materials. The most common form of LSD is called "blotter acid" - sheets of paper soaked in LSD and perforated into 1/4-inch square, individual dosage units."

I am guessing then that Purple Haze and Orange Sunshine were blotter acid since they were pills? Good recreation in the early 70's, but the greatest danger is that you never knew what is was being "cut" with.

I was given some "MIT clinical" acid, and experienced my first out-of-body experience. I have cleaned up but still really appreciate the Moddy Blues and The Search for the Lost Chord.

Howzzat for hijacking a thread? <_<

I've been extremely busy.  I read recently that someone tried the embryonic stem cell route in rats for a disease very similar to Parkinsons.  Most of the rats got brain tumors.

818040[/snapback]

Yeah, but before any conclusions can really be made, there are a lot of factors that need to be examined with that study. Methodology. Can these results be reproduced with another sample, etc.