Michael J. Fox vs. Rush Limbaugh

inkman

I was surprised not to see this in here yet. Basically it comes down to Fox using his illlness to advocate stem cell research, and the canidates who support it while Limbaugh, who in many minds, went way too far with his gyrations and mimicking of Fox, bashing him for using his "agenda" of Parkinson's for a political ad.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have MS, and I would LOVE to have Rush walk in my shoes on a "bad" day.

Hell even on a GOOD day I have so many little things always going on in the background, I hardly notice them: numb hands, numb feet, foot drop, double vision... and I am also one of the lucky ones. <_<

I take about $3K in meds a month, just to try and keep MS in remission, since there is no cure. I can truly identify with Fox.

M. Fox will sometimes intentionally stop taking his meds before a public appearance to let people see what Parkinson's really looks like .

Rush is a self-serving POS.

I was surprised not to see this in here yet.  Basically it comes down to Fox using his illlness to advocate stem cell research, and the canidates who support it while Limbaugh, who in many minds, went way too far with his gyrations and mimicking of Fox, bashing him for using his "agenda" of Parkinson's for a political ad.

817692[/snapback]

Rush is a true POS!

Michael J Fox has had a recurring role on Boston Legal for the past year and as much as they try to avoid it, his Parkinson's illness is very evident in his mannerisms. Anyone who has seen any of these episodes would notice his illness immediately. Since his character on the show does not have Parkinson's, you would think that they would try to film him in such a way as to minimize his mannerisms. Yet, it is still apparent that he can't control his movements.

For Rush to accuse Fox of "acting" or not taking his meds in the commercial is totally beyond ignorant. But I guess Rush knows more about using prescription medication than most people. <_<

I was surprised not to see this in here yet.  Basically it comes down to Fox using his illlness to advocate stem cell research, and the canidates who support it while Limbaugh, who in many minds, went way too far with his gyrations and mimicking of Fox, bashing him for using his "agenda" of Parkinson's for a political ad.

817692[/snapback]

Rush is a heartless SOB who is the exact opposite of "compassionate conservatism". You would have thought that he would have a little compassion after what happened to him with painkillers. Of course, this is the same guy last year who said "I'm telling you, folks, there's a part of me that likes this." about the kidnapping of peace activists in Iraq.

No one drinking the kool-aid will come to his defense?

817815[/snapback]

Wacka might. Most people realize Rush is an idiot.

Plus...myself, all I heard was that Rush accused Fox of acting like his Parkinson's is worse than it is. To which I responded "So !@#$ing what? He still has Parkinson's...and even if he's acting, he'll be that bad before long."

Wacka might.  Most people realize Rush is an idiot.

Plus...myself, all I heard was that Rush accused Fox of acting like his Parkinson's is worse than it is.  To which I responded "So !@#$ing what?  He still has Parkinson's...and even if he's acting, he'll be that bad before long."

817831[/snapback]

Actually, the issue was that Fox purposefully didn't take his meds before taping the ad, to show people what his disease is really like. I don't think he has admitted it but that is what he did and admitted when appearing before Congress. So he was shaking a lot more than he may normally do in a day when he takes all his meds. Limbaugh thought that was being dishonest (and was probably half correct, as he said Fox "s either off his meds or acting". But Fox IS that bad right now, he just has some drugs that calm it down a lot most of the time. He shakes like a mofo as it is, with the meds. Without them, he looks like a nervous alcoholic third base coach after doing a sheet of microdot.

Actually, the issue was that Fox purposefully didn't take his meds before taping the ad, to show people what his disease is really like. I don't think he has admitted it but that is what he did and admitted when appearing before Congress. So he was shaking a lot more than he may normally do in a day when he takes all his meds. Limbaugh thought that was being dishonest (and was probably half correct, as he said Fox "s either off his meds or acting". But Fox IS that bad right now, he just has some drugs that calm it down a lot most of the time. He shakes like a mofo as it is, with the meds. Without them, he looks like a nervous alcoholic third base coach after doing a sheet of microdot.

817845[/snapback]

Fox said hed didn't take his meds for the shoot. I don't see that as dishonest: I see it as him showing what Parkinsons really is.

817845[/snapback]

I heard Fox say he act like that when he's taken too many meds.

I heard Fox say he act like that when he's taken too many meds.

817885[/snapback]

1] I have never heard that, and it doesn't seem logical, although I believe you if you said that he has said it before.

2] I hope you're not implying that either you think, or even that it could be that Fox intentionally took too many meds to make himself shake like that when he doesn't normally shake like that to make it appear that his disease is worse than it is. I have seen him speak dozens of times and he shakes like most people dance.

I'm on my way out the door so someone can link to it, or dig it up, but the parkinson.org site says that increased tremors is a side effect of some of the medications.

If anything, I would hope that this bit of controversy forces people to go to some of these sites and get some real info on the disease for themselves, unlike Rush who is counting on the fact that many of his listeners won't.

I'm on my way out the door so someone can link to it, or dig it up, but the parkinson.org site says that increased tremors is a side effect of some of the medications. 

If anything, I would hope that this bit of controversy forces people to go to some of these sites and get some real info on the disease for themselves, unlike Rush who is counting on the fact that many of his listeners won't.

817903[/snapback]

www.michaeljfox.org is actually another good place to start. his foundation has raised nearly $70 million for Parkinsons research.

How soon we forget George Clooney... <_<

"What's up with George Clooney?

Actor's become the angriest man in Hollywood

Posted: January 20, 2003

9:20 p.m. Eastern

© 2003 WorldNetDaily.com

In receiving a special filmmaking achievement award from the National Board of Reviews, actor George Clooney joked that "Charlton Heston announced again today that he is suffering from Alzheimer's."

Clooney still had a chance to apologize for the bad humor day. When questioned about the remark by New York Newsday, Clooney sputtered: "I don't care. Charlton Heston is the head of the National Rifle Association. He deserves whatever anyone says about him."..."

http://worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=30590

If you don't get Clooney's joke, he was alluding to the fact that Altzheimer's sufferer have terrible memory loss, progressive dementia and so on.

Folks who continually describe others who disagree with them as intolerant need to take a look into the mirror now and again.

From what I heard, it's about using his affliction to help defeat republican candidates, by dishonestly claiming they are not in favor of research that might find cures for various diseases. Just same old politcs stuff. Like claiming republicans want to starve children, burn black churches, throw old people out in the street...So what's new?

© 2003 WorldNetDaily.com

In receiving a special filmmaking achievement award from the National Board of Reviews, actor George Clooney joked that "Charlton Heston announced again today that he is suffering from Alzheimer's."

Clooney still had a chance to apologize for the bad humor day. When questioned about the remark by New York Newsday, Clooney sputtered: "I don't care. Charlton Heston is the head of the National Rifle Association. He deserves whatever anyone says about him."..."

Folks who continually describe others who disagree with them as intolerant need to take a look into the mirror now and again.

817915[/snapback]

How soon we forget?

He's a deuchebag too but this thread wasn't about him.

From what I heard, it's about using his affliction to help defeat republican candidates, by dishonestly claiming they are not in favor of research that might find cures for various diseases.  Just same old politcs stuff.  Like claiming republicans want to starve children, burn black churches, throw old people out in the street...So what's new?

817917[/snapback]

*cough* Stem-cell Research *cough*

1] I have never heard that, and it doesn't seem logical, although I believe you if you said that he has said it before.

2] I hope you're not implying that either you think, or even that it could be that Fox intentionally took too many meds to make himself shake like that when he doesn't normally shake like that to make it appear that his disease is worse than it is.  I have seen him speak dozens of times and he shakes like most people dance.

817890[/snapback]

I heard it on the radio and it was Fox himself speaking. Am I implying he would do that intentionally? No, I don't do that, I work on facts. So who knows. I just hope he's not being unwittingly used for someone elses agenda. I doubt that too, because he's smarter than that and of course wants a cure. But here's the rub, will stem cell research provide the cure and why should my tax dollars be used to towards that?

© 2003 WorldNetDaily.com

If you don't get Clooney's joke, he was alluding to the fact that Altzheimer's sufferer have terrible memory loss, progressive dementia and so on.

817915[/snapback]

Is this the GOP talking point to defend Rush?

How soon we forget?

He's a deuchebag too but this thread wasn't about him.

817918[/snapback]

You don't see the double standard? Have you not heard the hate-filled gems from the folks on the late "Air America"?

Please continue with your regularly-scheduled vitriol. Over and out.

You don't see the double standard? Have you not heard the hate-filled gems from the folks on the late "Air America"?

Please continue with your regularly-scheduled vitriol.  Over and out.

817926[/snapback]

Double standard? Where, exactly?

Hardcore Republicans are defending Rush, hardcore Democrats defended Clooney, and most people toward the middle just thought they were idiots.