The New OL alignment is the

Bob in STL

I agree with all of you that think we should have did more on the off season to improve the OL. We made a few attempts at other lineman but nothing that panned out. It was not like there was a great crop of free agents either (other than Hutch).

So, I think that Jauron is doing the right thing. He was two weeks to work on the new line and two weeks to work on JP's brain and his mechanics. My analysis:

Peters at LT - He is our best linemen so lets put in in the most critical position and see if he can cut it. I can't imagine him having any more problems than Gandy did.

Gandy at LG - This was his postion in college. This guy must be a decent athelete to play guard in college and then play LT in the pros (Cleveland used him there too). He clearly has problems with speed rushers but that won't be an issue at guard. He could very well be a solid LG. Lets give him a chance.

Fowler at C - He is what we have. Better than Teague but not a dominant lineman.

Villarial at RG - The are sticking with the veteran and they need to because they are playing a rookie at RT. I am not a fan of Villy but we need a veteran here.

Pennington at RT - Has great size and the frame to pack on more weight. Has long arms ... great for pass blocking. All we need is for him to be solid. I like the idea of giving him a shot.

I hope we are surprised by this group but I am not counting on it.

I agree with all of you that think we should have did more on the off season to improve the OL.  We made a few attempts at other lineman but nothing that panned out.  It was not like there was a great crop of free agents either (other than Hutch). 

So, I think that Jauron is doing the right thing.  He was two weeks to work on the new line and two weeks to work on JP's brain and his mechanics.  My analysis:

Peters at LT - He is our best linemen so lets put in in the most critical position and see if he can cut it.  I can't imagine him having any more problems than Gandy did. 

Gandy at LG - This was his postion in college.  This guy must be a decent athelete to play guard in college and then play LT in the pros (Cleveland used him there too).  He clearly has problems with speed rushers but that won't be an issue at guard.  He could very well be a solid LG.  Lets give him a chance. 

Fowler at C - He is what we have.  Better than Teague but not a dominant lineman.

Villarial at RG - The are sticking with the veteran and they need to because they are playing a rookie at RT.  I am not a fan of Villy but we need a veteran here. 

Pennington at RT - Has great size and the frame to pack on more weight.  Has long arms ... great for pass blocking.  All we need is for him to be solid.  I like the idea of giving him a shot. 

816101[/snapback]

I tend to agree. The season is over, and management need to find out what

they have.

Funny how few people even read your thread or responded.

I basically banished myself about a year ago because we were getting

a lot of nonsense posts, however I felt the desire to respond after reading

your post.

The season is over

816142[/snapback]

I keep seeing this and I don't know why. Two years ago this team was 0-4 and turned it around completely to go 9-7, just missing the playoffs.

2-5 > 0-4.

We have 5 games at home left. We have a few softer looking teams on the schedule. I don't forsee another loss we shouldn't have like the one to Detroit, and there is always a chance of an upset. There is still reason to pay attention this season, and even if the next few weeks put this team out of contention, the progress of Losman, the line, and the rookies will bear watching.

I gotta say this move has "re-energized" my enthusiasm for the rest of the season. If things go well the offseason could have quite a different outlook. Even before this move was made though I was thinking don't be surprised at another defense-heavy draft. If some of the new moves on the Oline pan out we may only be looking for a guard in free agency and a RT in the draft, or something like that. Don't be shocked if Gandy plays well at guard either...........he was just a crappy LT.

I keep seeing this and I don't know why.  Two years ago this team was 0-4 and turned it around completely to go 9-7, just missing the playoffs. 

2-5 > 0-4.

We have 5 games at home left.  We have a few softer looking teams on the schedule.  I don't forsee another loss we shouldn't have like the one to Detroit, and there is always a chance of an upset.  There is still reason to pay attention this season, and even if the next few weeks put this team out of contention, the progress of Losman, the line, and the rookies will bear watching.

816156[/snapback]

Correct, they did turn it around. And as I recall the Bills that year had

the 1st or 2nd fewest injuries to starters in the league, and also played

the weakest NFC division in football, being the NFC West.

That was also after the fourth year of the rebuiding process under TD.

This team is not going anywhere this year.

I do appreciate you hoping.

I was hoping to see Brad Butler in reserve duty. He is a 'development' player --- translation: Ralph pays him for 4 years and then they guy goes someplace else --- but style has been compared to Kyle Turley.

I am glad that the coaches aren't just going to sit on their hands when we can all see the OL isn't getting the job done. I don't know what it says about McNally's job security this coming offseason.... It may be time for an amicable parting and some new blood.

I'm quite encouraged by the moves. Peters now gets his chance to shine in the marquee OL possition.....Gandy's play should improve with his more natural possitioning.

My only question is Pennington.

Can one of the OL analysers here give us their thoughts on his limited play so far this year?

If he can be solid, that would be huge. A 7th round pick. Marv, DJ & McNally will deserve a lot of credit if he can perform for us.....fingers crossed.

I agree with all of you that think we should have did more on the off season to improve the OL.  We made a few attempts at other lineman but nothing that panned out.  It was not like there was a great crop of free agents either (other than Hutch). 

So, I think that Jauron is doing the right thing.  He was two weeks to work on the new line and two weeks to work on JP's brain and his mechanics.  My analysis:

Peters at LT - He is our best linemen so lets put in in the most critical position and see if he can cut it.  I can't imagine him having any more problems than Gandy did. 

Gandy at LG - This was his postion in college.  This guy must be a decent athelete to play guard in college and then play LT in the pros (Cleveland used him there too).  He clearly has problems with speed rushers but that won't be an issue at guard.  He could very well be a solid LG.  Lets give him a chance. 

Fowler at C - He is what we have.  Better than Teague but not a dominant lineman.

Villarial at RG - The are sticking with the veteran and they need to because they are playing a rookie at RT.  I am not a fan of Villy but we need a veteran here. 

Pennington at RT - Has great size and the frame to pack on more weight.  Has long arms ... great for pass blocking.  All we need is for him to be solid.  I like the idea of giving him a shot. 

816101[/snapback]

Agreed.

I'm not sure why I locked on to this.....but I saw Pennington standing next to Peters on Sunday at the game during the national anthem. He kind of dwarfs Peters. He is worth a shot. If he can move at all, DE's should have a hard time going through or around him. He is one huge man.

CV sucks though. I can't wait until he is replaced. Merz seemed to do a pretty good job in there. Seemed is the key word, as I really don't know. We might have something here.......but the other way wasn't work.

GET IT DONE TP......GET IT DONE BIG FELLA.

I remember a play during the preseason where it was a screen play and Pennington got out in front and just creamed some defender. They called him for a facemask on the creaming, which was a pretty borderline call. The play really stuck out in my mind because he looked like a freak of nature on the move- quick and powerful.

However in that same game (he was playing LT) he did get beat a few times around the edge. This of course was quite a while ago so I assume he's improved his form since then, and this was on the left side. I'm really looking forward to seeing what this guy can do.

Another offshoot of the shake-up is that Mike Gandy will be able to help Jason Peters in the transition from ORT to OLT. The twists and stunts are going to be handled better on that side. Chris Villarrial really has the tough task of playing next to Terrence Pennington, IMO. The Packers will try ever trick in the book to confuse TP in his first game starting in th Pros. Fowler and Villarrial will have to be sharp on November 5th. Playing 2 TE's would help greatly too! Three step drops early in this game could help the line find a rythym (sic). I think that there is a fairly good chance that the Bills could recieve a "lightning in a bottle" performance from Terrence, somewhat similar to the "suprise" Jason Peters was throughout last year. Now wouldn't that be NICE??? I'm with other fans here, whereby the Bills entire draft strategy could swing on the prospects of Peters and Pennington.... Wow, the future would be MUCH brighter with this coming to fruition and getting two road-grading OG's in 2007. (1 in free agency, 1 in the draft!)

I'm hoping it will pan out like that as well BfloJohn regarding the Oline this offseason. As I said earlier though, don't be surprised if Gandy plays well at guard. I can't wait for the "Gandy sucks no matter where" posts start flying in but I'm sticking to this until Gandy himself proves me wrong.

I gotta say this move has "re-energized" my enthusiasm for the rest of the season. If things go well the offseason could have quite a different outlook. Even before this move was made though I was thinking don't be surprised at another defense-heavy draft. If some of the new moves on the Oline pan out we may only be looking for a guard in free agency and a RT in the draft, or something like that. Don't be shocked if Gandy plays well at guard either...........he was just a crappy LT.

816166[/snapback]

This "re-energized" feeling is true but also frustrating as this has been the feeling about the Bills the past few Halloweens: lets hope they finish strong, young players develop and a gem is found, get a few draft and free agent pickups and maybe we can turn it around next year. We must be the most dedicated fans in the world!

I'm just happy to see the coaches try and fix the real problem of this offense and not listen to all the armchair QB fans, and media.

I'm not happy with Losman's play at the moment but lets try and get a decent line in here and see how he does.

I like the OL moves, and the timing. Still wish we had drafted Kevin Boothe with one of our 5th round picks - I think he's starting for the Raiders (not that that's any big deal) , who got him in the 6th.

ANyway, hopefully two weeks will be enough time for these guys to adjust at their new assignments, and for the whole team to regroup and beat Green Bay.

15 and 5 baby!

I tend to agree.  The season is over, and management need to find out what

they have.

Funny how few people even read your thread or responded.

I basically banished myself about a year ago because we were getting

a lot of nonsense posts, however I felt the desire to respond after reading

your post.

816142[/snapback]

Thanks for responding. Yes, there are many "hair on fire" posts on this board.

After watching this game and this team for 40 years you have to accept the fact that real progress in the NFL usually comes slowly. One or two impact players can elevate the entire team and I just hope that Marv and Modrak can find one for our OL.

This move by Jauron may not make much difference this season but right now it looks very proactive and logical to me.

Thanks for responding.  Yes, there are many "hair on fire" posts on this board. 

After watching this game and this team for 40 years you have to accept the fact that real progress in the NFL usually comes slowly.  One or two impact players can elevate the entire team and I just hope that Marv and Modrak can find one for our OL. 

This move by Jauron may not make much difference this season but right now it looks very proactive and logical to me.

816536[/snapback]

I hope this move is equivalent to the one when Mularkey dropped Bobby Shaw...It sent a message to the team and even though they played inferior teams down that stretch, the fear of losing their jobs made them more intense.....

I keep seeing this and I don't know why.  Two years ago this team was 0-4 and turned it around completely to go 9-7, just missing the playoffs. 

2-5 > 0-4.

We have 5 games at home left.  We have a few softer looking teams on the schedule.  I don't forsee another loss we shouldn't have like the one to Detroit, and there is always a chance of an upset.  There is still reason to pay attention this season, and even if the next few weeks put this team out of contention, the progress of Losman, the line, and the rookies will bear watching.

816156[/snapback]

I agree that the season is not over. I doubt we can be a playoff team this season but if we can improve and get some positive momemtum going for next season that would help a lot. 6 wins is not impossible, that means winning 4 out of the final 9.

The biggest key for the season is to keep Losman playing and to protect him. I think he has talent and hopefully once he gains experience the game will slow down for him and he will make better decisions.

I think that there is a fairly good chance that the Bills could recieve a "lightning in a bottle" performance from Terrence, somewhat similar to the "suprise" Jason Peters was throughout last year. Now wouldn't that be NICE??? I'm with other fans here, whereby the Bills entire draft strategy could swing on the prospects of Peters and Pennington.... Wow, the future would be MUCH brighter with this coming to fruition and getting two road-grading OG's in 2007. (1 in free agency, 1 in the draft!)

Amen. I completely agree and really hope we may have found ourselves a gem in Pennington.

Steinbach would look real nice next to Peters in 07.

Really?  Is he that light on his feet?  Better pass blocker than run blocker?

816556[/snapback]

He's very nimble. He blocks well on pass and run. He has a couple of LT starts under his belt, and has played C. Good character, although he did get charged with "drinking while boating" a couple of months ago. :lol:

As Bill in NYC pointed out, he'll command a big price.

He's very nimble. He blocks well on pass and run. He has a couple of LT starts under his belt, and has played C. Good character, although he did get charged with "drinking while boating" a couple of months ago. 

As Bill in NYC pointed out, he'll command a big price.

True, but if Peters works out at LT, we have a LT signed for the next 5 years at 3 mil per. Pretty good deal if he's good. We could afford to overspend on a G.

True, but if Peters works out at LT, we have a LT signed for the next 5 years at 3 mil per.  Pretty good deal if he's good.  We could afford to overspend on a G.

816565[/snapback]

If Peters does Pan out and become a sold tackle, at some point he'll stop just being happy to be playing and start wanting to get what he thinks he deserves. Its only human nature. So, I think we'd have to consider giving him a raise at some point. It'd be a recipe for disgruntlement if we have a Guard (supposedly a lesser paid position) making much more than the Tackle (supposedly the higher paid position).