Random Ramblings

Simon

Fact is we wont go far with this o-line - no matter who is running the ball or throwing behind it......The mental errors though really are disturing.

I don't think it's a fact at all Larry. From what I've seen I honestly believe that the OLine has been the biggest most pleasant surprise of this season. Look around the rest of the league and there's really only a couple teams who can put a great OLine on the field; one of them is 1-3, two others are 3rd in their division, etc. I think in this cap era we're expecting to see the Bills put another Hull anchored OLine on the field and the fact of the matter is that it's never ever going to happen again. You just can't pour all your resources into a single facet of your team or you end up with the KC defense, or the Tenn WR corps(e), or the Rams front7. You have to acheive balance and I think the Bills have done that; laugh away but I see their OLine as being as good right now as most other teams in the league. With this defense, that should be good enough to win. But like you say, it's the mental errors that are killing us and most of them are coming from somewhere else other than the offensive front. And it's not just a matter of the Bills making mental errors, because every team makes mental errors; it's a matter of us making them at the worst possible times. I think that's what got most of the fanbase so frustrated.

Great thread. It's so refreshing to read comments without name calling.

Howdy Aussie. I wasn't kidding, from now on this is a moron-free zone. I've had enough of it and from here on out I'm considering my threads my living room, and any jackasses will be leaving quicker than thin shlt through a tall Swede.

Cya

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

laugh away but I see their OLine as being as good right now as most other teams in the league. With this defense, that should be good enough to win.

58493[/snapback]

I agree with most of your assessment, but I'm still not convinced this o-line is dramatically improved against good edge-rushers, whom we haven't faced yet. The interior line is better than I expected, and they have improved, but until I see MW and JJ protecting against the speed rushers I won't be convinced.

Also, the line has NOT improved in one other critical area - short-yardage situations when pure strength and determination are needed. We've failed almost all of those tests so far this season.

When I tell you that you do not want me singing a song, you're just going to have to trust me :w00t:

Or barring that, pass me that jug of juice.......

58503[/snapback]

Everyone can sing. It's just talking with rythm. You can do bass. (momma sang tennor...)

I agree with most of your assessment, but I'm still not convinced this o-line is dramatically improved against good edge-rushers, whom we haven't faced yet.  The interior line is better than I expected, and they have improved, but until I see MW and JJ protecting against the speed rushers I won't be convinced.

Also, the line has NOT improved in one other critical area - short-yardage situations when pure strength and determination are needed.  We've failed almost all of those tests so far this season.

58504[/snapback]

That's a good point Tuesday re: the short yardage situations. It almost seems at times like they are too worried about selling the idea or possibility that this next play MAY not be a run. I long to be able to compare our line in this situation to a line that impressed me back in the eighties. The Patriots, yes the Patriots, way back when Craig James was the feature back. They would walk proudly up to the line of scrimmage in 3rd and 1-3, and basically tell you "Ok, we are going to run right here between left Guard and Tackle, and you're simply NOT going to stop us". There was NO threat of a pass play, just sheer will and they fired off the ball as one unit. :w00t:

Every year I go to camp and watch him snag everything within 5 feet from all angles and I believe he is going to step forward, but you're right he just seems to have this mental hurdle that doesn't even need to be there. I can't figure out if he reads too much press, is just nervous in the fishbowl that is the NFL, or what

I'm starting to think that maybe he has a problem similar to Travis; i.e. it's possible that he's just dumber'n a chicken :w00t:

Also, the line has NOT improved in one other critical area - short-yardage situations when pure strength and determination are needed. We've failed almost all of those tests so far this season.

We've definitely had our troubles on 3rddown, but again I'm not convinced the problem is up front. I've seen some nice push and some good lanes in short yardage situations but invariably the back misses teh hole, is late to the LOS, or he picks it up only to have it called back on a phantom hold. That stuff has just killed us 4-5 times late in tight games and is the biggest reason we are 0-3 in my opinion; and oddly enough it has nothing to do with the line failing to execute.

Cya

I'm starting to think that maybe he has a problem similar to Travis; i.e. it's possible that he's just dumber'n a chicken ;)

We've definitely had our troubles on 3rddown, but again I'm not convinced the problem is up front. I've seen some nice push and some good lanes in short yardage situations but invariably the back misses teh hole, is late to the LOS, or he picks it up only to have it called back on a phantom hold. That stuff has just killed us 4-5 times late in tight games and is the biggest reason we are 0-3 in my opinion; and oddly enough it has nothing to do with the line failing to execute.

Cya

58529[/snapback]

That hold on the FB dive play was laughable :w00t: It's really just not physically possible to hold in that short flash of time on a dive play that nets 2 yards.

That hold on the FB dive play was laughable. It's really just not physically possible to hold in that short flash of time on a dive play that nets 2 yards.

I'm usually a barrel of laughs to watch a Bills game with, regardless of the score. But when I saw the laundry flying again on 3rd/1 at midfield vs the Pats I went ballistic. I thought my buddy (who had no knowledge of the Vilarial call vs Jax) was going to chuck me through my bay window just to get me to shut the hell up.

Granted, I think it was a counter to Shelton so somebody may have had time to grab a sleeve, but if you're not going to call holding on the Pats all day, don't start calling it on us at that point in the game, especially on that down with that playcall. Just get the hell out of the way and let the boys get to it.

Cya

If it was a counter then all bets are off... I didn't see any counter type action and that would be unusual for a FB to do, but I haven't watched the game a second time yet and I'm not sure if I will or not. :-)

If it was a counter then all bets are off... I didn't see any counter type action and that would be unusual for a FB to do, but I haven't watched the game a second time yet and I'm not sure if I will or not. :-)

By that point I could see the bottom of a bottle of Captain Morgan's, so don't assume that it actually was a counter. I just thought I remember seeing them start the action right and then Shelton coming across Bledsoe's bow. Maybe he cut it back on his own, (really doubtful) or maybe I was just overserved (a distinct possibility).

If you do watch the game again (you should, the first half was great and the rest wasn't bad either) I'd be interested to know how stupid/smart I actually am;-)

Cya

Wow, something worth responding to. What I've been seeing this year, throwing the final score away, is encouraging. This offense, once it finds its stride (and it will), will do well. Negative plays keep killing us. But we are actually having drives this year, not the 3-and-out Tango we saw all last year. They are stalling because of negative plays which we need to reduce and overcome. But when things are moving well, I get excited as to what will come. And it will...

I'm actually more disappointed in the defense. I'm all for aggresive defenses, but this is ridiculous. Looking at the blitz on every play and I can't help but think of a 13 year-old playing Madden for the first time. The blitz is much like the Spanish Inquisition: the main weapons are fear surprise and ruthless efficiency! Especially the surprise part. Get Milloy and Vincent back out there and maybe you can blitz on every down (whether you should is still another story), but I wouldn't with the backfield the way it is. Certainly not with Coy Wire at SS (unless he's the one blitzing...as I read in someone's post...). Sorry, Coy.McGee really looks good, but he still isn't ready to be left on an island.

Thanks for the thread worthy of drawing me out of lurk mode, Simon! It goes back to "if you're going to bench the players who are making the key mistakes, then you'll be starting 22 second-stringers."

And re: singing: if William Shatner can be releasing a CD that already has "grammy buzz" written all over it, you shouldn't be worried about your pipes.... :w00t:

Actually Dan, you refer to what I think is perhaps the biggest worry on D. We were close to getting Brady, but I'd like to see a more consistent pass rush from our front 4. It seems the only time we're generating good pressure is on a blitz. Live by the blitz, die by the blitz.

PS- Please remember to tell Mr & Mrs Hardy I said "hi!"

Simon,

Thanks for a refreshing thread that doesn't start with the usual, "When do you think Losman will start?" or "bench Drew for Mathews" or "This team plays with no heart" or "Donahoe SUX" crap from the football "experts" on this board. You could not have possibly captured my own sentiments more than you did.

Of course, you are now merely a ________ apologist (insert any name associated with the Bills) and have no grasp of the subjective. :w00t:

Of course, you are now merely a ________ apologist (insert any name associated with the Bills) and have no grasp of the subjective.  :w00t:

58575[/snapback]

Something tells me Simon's OK with that ;)

He wasn't kiddin' about the "moron free" zone, was he?

No, he was not.

And just to clarify, I don't consider Joe6 to be a moron. It's just that there are 100 other threads where he is free to start a name-calling flame war. I'm keeping this one clear for those who'd rather be civil than abrasive.

Oh yes, Bledsoe was reponsible for that sack, and him fumbling meant the game.  Hate to break it to you but Bruschi came through untouched and Henry blew his assignment, the call was a NAKED BOOTLEG WITH A SLOW QB, and it was 4th down, with less than 3 minutes, and the Bills having ONE timeout remaining, meaning that even just a sack would have been game over, and that play was destined to fail from the beginning.  The game was lost on the play before, when Henry slipped with a gaping hole for a sure 1st down.  Actually with the tainted officiating in that game, it was over before it even started.

58631[/snapback]

Exactly.

So it was a HORRENDOUS coaching decision executed by a TERRIBLE QB that had ZERO chance of success. And people think the Bills are improving? That's like something out of GW's last season!