ITS FREAKING SNOWING

5 Wide

Rochester got some snow but nothing like Buffalo! Thruway is closed...33 is closed...schools...they are comparing this to the blizzard of '77. This is what happens when the lake is 68 degrees!

803399[/snapback]

When you trip over telephone and power lines still attached at the top of the pole. Then you got something like the Blizzard of 77

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anybody else notice the amount of acorns that have been dropping, like a freaking war zone in my backyard here in Richmond VA. Anyway, guess that portends a really bad winter.

BTW, anybody know if I should somehow be trying to clean those suckers up?

Guess this person predicted pretty good, as did the farmers alamanac

http://www.thedailystar.com/news/stories/2...18/winter1.html

803451[/snapback]

Yeah lots dropping on the golf courses in NOVA. I believe gas and a match will get rid of them.

Ridiculous here in North Tonawanda.. Left my g/f's sister's house last night around 8:45, who lives in Wheatfield. Drove to my g/fs house, it wasn't nice out, but I've seen worse. The 6 miles drive to N. Tonawanda changed everything. We got to my g/fs house and spent the rest of the night listening to trees falling everywhere, hoping they wouldnt hit our vehicles. Luckily they didn't. This moring, it took 2 hours to get out of her street due to fallen trees and powerlines. We come back here now, after spending all night in the ice-box that was her home, and her sisters house is lit up, heated, and wouldn't you know, the satellite dish is even working. But in North Tonawanda, it is like a war-zone.

Oh, and now I ahve to go in to work... lucky me.

Ridiculous here in North Tonawanda.. Left my g/f's sister's house last night around 8:45, who lives in Wheatfield. Drove to my g/fs house, it wasn't nice out, but I've seen worse. The 6 miles drive to N. Tonawanda changed everything. We got to my g/fs house and spent the rest of the night listening to trees falling everywhere, hoping they wouldnt hit our vehicles. Luckily they didn't. This moring, it took 2 hours to get out of her street due to fallen trees and powerlines. We come back here now, after spending all night in the ice-box that was her home, and her sisters house is lit up, heated, and wouldn't you know, the satellite dish is even working.  But in North Tonawanda, it is like a war-zone.

803498[/snapback]

Well, if you got that claims job, you'll be busy! :doh:

The storm pretty much missed Rochester. There was a light covering of snow on my windshield this morning.

Very close to us they were not so lucky: story with photos

Excerpt:

October 13, 2006 10:56 am — A 105-mile stretch of the New York State Thruway -- from Exit 46 at Rochester to Exit 59 at Dunkirk, southwest of Buffalo -- remained closed this morning because of heavy lake-effect snow.

Gov. George Pataki headed to the scene this morning, and was expected to declare a state of emergency for Erie, Niagara, and perhaps other western New York counties.

Rochester missed a direct weather hit, but counties west of Rochester are feeling the effect of the paralyzing storm, which caused widespread blackouts and halted travel in much of Western New York.

I guess I should finish closing the pool soon. :doh:

Lost cable overnight, but not power. In Genesee County, so I only got a few inches of very wet snow. On the news this morning, they put some totals up:

Buffalo: ~18 inches

Batavia: ~12

Elba: ~5

ALbion: ~4

Coming home I hit the snow as I was getting off the 490 at Bergen. All the way down 33 and south until I hit route 5. Wasn't nearly as bad when I got home. Got a couple branches down (that I can see, haven't been back into the woods yet), but the snow has pretty well been blown off the trees by the wind.

Pretty much all schools in Genesee County were closed, many in Orleans. A few in northern Wyoming County. None in Monroe county.

Erie and Niagara were under weather emergency this morning. Orleans and Genesee had traveller's advisories. Enough for me to stay home. :doh:

My buddy just emailed me a bunch of pics and all I can say is HOLY SH-T. It looks like a nuclear winter or something. It was a lot of snow that fell in a short period but the problem was all the trees a shrubs are still green and have leaves. The snow stuck to the leaves, weighted them down and BLAM...branches being ripped off, trees splitting or falling over, unreal.

Very similar to what happened down here in Carolina a couple of years ago with the ice storm we got. Over half of the State lost power. Best of luck and be safe up there.

hmm wondering what stevetojan was doing at his gf's SISTER's house.

:doh::P

Ridiculous here in North Tonawanda.. Left my g/f's sister's house last night around 8:45, who lives in Wheatfield. Drove to my g/fs house, it wasn't nice out, but I've seen worse. The 6 miles drive to N. Tonawanda changed everything. We got to my g/fs house and spent the rest of the night listening to trees falling everywhere, hoping they wouldnt hit our vehicles. Luckily they didn't. This moring, it took 2 hours to get out of her street due to fallen trees and powerlines. We come back here now, after spending all night in the ice-box that was her home, and her sisters house is lit up, heated, and wouldn't you know, the satellite dish is even working.  But in North Tonawanda, it is like a war-zone.

803498[/snapback]

Where's global warming when you really need it!   

803093[/snapback]

It's in Buffalo

"Evaporation increases when the surface temperature of the ocean rises and warmer air can hold more moisture. When this soggier-than-normal air moves over land, it results in storms wetter and more intense than those experienced in the past. "