Boston WEEI today

Tolstoy

On the Glenn Ordway show today, a guy called up and asked:

"What do you think Buffalo has to do to make the playoffs?"

After they remarked on the strangeness of the question, one of the talking heads responded:

"The first thing is they must get a QB, because the guy they got in there ain't gonna get the job done."

They all agreed on the intelligence and perspicacity of this remark.

So...while I could care less what these idiots think (they did make me angry though), it occurred to me that the nation does not see in Losman what the rest of us appear to see--a developing young QB with all the tools, but still lacking QB savvy.

Are we all living in a delusion? Is Losman really that bad?

I say no. Screw them. Let's give him a full season and see what emerges.

Unless someone specifically follows a team (or actually breaks down footage alla Jaws) they're really not going to have a clue how well someone is playing. For someone to take notice of a QB the QB has to be putting up lots of TDs, yards and Ws. If they're just putting up Ws they're a "caretaker" and if they're not putting up many of the three then obviously that team needs a new QB. This is how fans and media have been breaking down QB play for 25 years. I wouldn't worry too much about it. You know a hell of a lot more about the Bills QB play than some guys on Boston radio.

After they remarked on the strangeness of the question, one of the talking heads responded:

"The first thing is they must get a QB, because the guy they got in there ain't gonna get the job done."

So...while I could care less what these idiots think (they did make me angry though), it occurred to me that the nation does not see in Losman what the rest of us appear to see--a developing young QB with all the tools, but still lacking QB savvy.

I say no.  Screw them.  Let's give him a full season and see what emerges.

802239[/snapback]

Losman is better than any of these guys are giving him credit for. They don't see him play every week, they are basing their opinions on last years' performances. Nobody, outside of WNY, who is not a Bills fan, sees them play on a weekly basis. Most of these "experts" are lazy, but more than willing to give their uneducated opinions. The Bears game aside, anyone who has seen all of Losaman's games, would be foolish to say that he hasn't shown signnificant improvement. He may never ultimately turn out to be a hall of famer, and surely needs more improvement, but trust your own eyes, more than these half-wits...

802239[/snapback]

So you agree with the idiots? :)

In all seriousness, I tend to agree with you. Remember when Drew Brees was getting ready to be run out of SD? Everyone was so sure he was a bust, the Chargers even went and drafted Rivers. It took Brees three or four years to put it all together. My personal opinion is that it will be like that for Losman...

Fantasy Football sucks.  Boston football analysts suck.  And Losman doesn't suck, but could suck, but might not, but it would suck if we don't give him enough time to know for sure.

802417[/snapback]

Ironically, your post does not suck.

802239[/snapback]

I know many people are gun-ho about Losman and I personally like the kid, but YES I do believe that every fan for every team is going to be dillusional about players. I still cant believe people thought we should have kept Johnson instead of Flutie. Flutie wasnt great and we probably wouldnt have won the SB with him, but it would have been better than the experiment called Johnson.

You have to wonder what those schmoes think of Rothlisberger at this point. If they just started watching football this year, they'd think he sucks a lot worse than JP.

For 7 years, I lived in Boston and listened to these guys on my hour ride home from work. There isn't a guy on that show, Smerlas included, that showed an ounce of respect for the Buffalo Bills. They are all the biggest bunch of Homers , and they would actually get me so riled up when a buffalo topic would come up, or iff it was a Buffalo week. In all honesty, there show is entertaining, but there opinion is meaningless, worthless even. They are just riding the supposed Patriots Dynasty till they beat it like a dead horse.

Ordway is nothing more than an out of work mall Santa who spends his weekends giving free mustache rides to his former friends at the Boston Celtics.

I remember Pete "The Meat" Shepard, whose sports expertise range from his High School Diving Team and his degenerate gambling habit. Anyway, one day he was ripping on Travis Henry before a game against the Pats. Of course TH ripped off 130 yards and 2TD's I believe, but he never ate his words. He picked something else to rip the Bills for, but to bad the scoreboard said we won the game.

The absolute best had to be the ride back to Boston though after we blanked the Pats in week one right after the we signed Lawyer Malloy. These blowhards were crying, wining and belly aching as if the world was coming to an end. Now granted that game was turned around later in the year and they went on to wind the SB, but there show that day was priceless. They were speachless. By far one of there best shows of all time.

But should you worry about their opinion about JP, never. They are to lazy to research and put out an original thought about something outside of Boston. They are just relaying current national opinion about a subject that we know is beginnning to change. JP is coming around and beginning to show that he has some ability to play QB in this league. He may or may not win a Super Bowl, but he will win games, he will take us to the playoffs and we will win playoff games, he just needs time to develop. Look at Drew Brees, Matt Hasselback, Kurt Warner, Jake Delhomme, Steve McNair, Donovan McNabb, BRETT FAVRE. These guys all needed a few years before their play started turn around and win games. The thing is, they all at some point had someone calling for their head, but they were given time. Before we start thinking JP is a bust or listening to the media calling him a bust, can we give the guy a full season or two at least?

Fantasy Football is awesome!

802431[/snapback]

It's fun, but it's made people who discuss the sport exponentially dumber by virtue of the fact that it makes them believe they are experts on the game, when they are experts in something more akin to Dungeons and Dragons. I play it, but I make no pretenses as to it aiding in my understanding of actual live football.

It's fun, but it's made people who discuss the sport exponentially dumber by virtue of the fact that it makes them believe they are experts on the game, when they are experts in something more akin to Dungeons and Dragons.  I play it, but I make no pretenses as to it aiding in my understanding of actual live football.

802471[/snapback]

Oh . Ok .

I guess its the same thing as my sister (teacher) winning a pickem league at her school because she picked the colors she liked each week? I guess I see what your saying. It doesnt take a ton of knowledge.

Better yet, you shold have asked the follow up question... "how many of them thought Tom Brady would be the superstar that he is now?". I bet, being talking heads, they would have they saw the light with tom. However, they all probably felt the same as they do with JP.

The national consensus on Losman is that he was drafted too high and that he should be farther along in his development. They compare him to Philip Rivers, Eli Manning and Ben Roethlisberger.

Rivers still has the book out on him, but he's looked very good so far.

Eli, though a bit inconsistent, clearly will be a great QB for many years.

All Ben did was win the superbowl.

So, that is what JP is being compared to. It's not difficult to see why they undervalue him in most of our opinions.

JP had played decently well up till the Bears game, but to get your panties up in a bunch because people don't think he is that good is a big thin skinned.

I for one hope that JP will pan out, I have seen many things to tell me he will. However, until he goes in and wins a game like last weekend, he's going to continue to be disrespected (and kind of rightly so).

I live away from Buffalo and listen to a bunch of national shows and the local media in my area. The consensus is that JP falls into the "athletic QB" category but he is not considered a smart QB at all. Let's face it, when people see that he has had 3 turnovers in two of the last three games....he will get a bad reputation quickly. Obviously, if JP can throw for 175 yds each week and no turnovers it's a helluva lot better than throwing for 275 and a pick or two. He just needs to clean up the ball security issue and he will be pretty good.

The national consensus on Losman is that he was drafted too high and that he should be farther along in his development. They compare him to Philip Rivers, Eli Manning and Ben Roethlisberger.

Rivers still has the book out on him, but he's looked very good so far.

Eli, though a bit inconsistent, clearly will be a great QB for many years.

802544[/snapback]

Clearly? Great?

Both are up for debate, if you ask me.

Clearly?  Great?

Both are up for debate, if you ask me.

802584[/snapback]

Yeah, if you watch his games, he's got it. Yes he has been inconsistent, but the consensus is that he will be good for a long time.

Who would you rather have Eli or JP?

Yeah, if you watch his games, he's got it. Yes he has been inconsistent, but the consensus is that he will be good for a long time.

Who would you rather have Eli or JP?

802587[/snapback]

Consensus amongst who ? Link please ?

I have read four posts of yours so far and all they have implied is that JP sucks and Ben R is great.

I would rather have JP. That is my individual consensus. :)