Plane Crashes into NYC Bldg

blzrul

Uh I thought we had safety measures in place to monitor aircraft and take appropriate action if they got too close?

801989[/snapback]

In DC. Airspace isn't that closely monitored for small aircraft everywhere else. If some bozo decides to turn his transponder to the wrong frequency, shut down his radio, and go traipsing across controlled airspace, there's damn little anyone can do about it. Air traffic control radars aren't designed to get returns off skin paints, even from large aircraft. It was, is, and will always be very easy to sneak a small plane into the controlled airspace of your average American airport (which I believe most of the airspace above Manhattan is).

As it is, they're lucky it was just a condo that blundered in front of the pilot, and not a Boeing.

In DC.  Airspace isn't that closely monitored for small aircraft everywhere else.  If some bozo decides to turn his transponder to the wrong frequency, shut down his radio, and go traipsing across controlled airspace, there's damn little anyone can do about it.  Air traffic control radars aren't designed to get returns off skin paints, even from large aircraft.  It was, is, and will always be very easy to sneak a small plane into the controlled airspace of your average American airport (which I believe most of the airspace above Manhattan is). 

As it is, they're lucky it was just a condo that blundered in front of the pilot, and not a Boeing.

802021[/snapback]

The style of the post speaks volumes.......so good to see you DC MonkeyTom

In DC.  Airspace isn't that closely monitored for small aircraft everywhere else.  If some bozo decides to turn his transponder to the wrong frequency, shut down his radio, and go traipsing across controlled airspace, there's damn little anyone can do about it.  Air traffic control radars aren't designed to get returns off skin paints, even from large aircraft.  It was, is, and will always be very easy to sneak a small plane into the controlled airspace of your average American airport (which I believe most of the airspace above Manhattan is). 

802021[/snapback]

I'm surprised the Dems haven't made this an issue.

"They're weak on homeland security - someone could fly a crop duster with anthrax over Neuva York and kill us all!"

Yes it was....

Law enforcement officials said a member of the New York Yankees’ organization was aboard the plane. The Associated Press and NBC News identified that person as Lidle. Lidel's passport was reportedly found on the street below the crash site.

Huh, a passport found on the street below. Haven't I heard that somewhere before?

I doubt this means anything but I spoke with my mom this afternoon when I heard. She is a big Yankee fan. She said Lidle gave a very strange, almost incoherent at times, interview on Mike and the Mad Dog yesterday or the day before. She said Lidle was not really answering their questions and seemed strange and ended up hanging up on them. The hosts of the show didn't know what to make of the whole episode. I didn't hear it and I'm not sure it relates, but it does seem odd.

I will say not having heard it that maybe it was on M&MD. I've heard them antagonize people before. I remember Bill Polian hanging up on them and they proceeded to call his beahavior bizzare.

The last 5 minutes of that are weird.

802189[/snapback]

Thanks for the link GG. I just listened and didn't really get too much out of it in terms of "bizarre".

It was basically the same interviewing style they had with Polian after the Colts playoff loss:

"Bill, can't you admit that Manning sucks under pressure"

"How can you say he doesn't suck"

"But basically, he sucks, right?"

To me it just seemed like Lidle said something he shouldn't, albeit a single sentence in what was probably a long interview, and these guys were making a federal case out of it.

I didn't get a read of some underlying problem with Lidle's psyche based on that phone call.