TMQ Bills reference

TKO

"For more than a decade, Favre has been a joy to watch and a darling of the football gods. But now his powers are declining, and when great athletes begin to lose abilities they once had, many find this hard to face. For the great athlete, everything in life has been an upward arc -- through youth, college, the pros and finally national renown, things just keep getting better. Then suddenly things stop getting better and performance begins to decline. In Kelly's final season, he threw a bad interception at the goal line in a close loss and came off the field repeating aloud over and over, 'I don't understand it.' The phrase 'I don't understand it' must run through the heads of many stellar athletes as their abilities deteriorate and the curtain call approaches. This thought must be running through Favre's head now."

What game is he referring to?

"For more than a decade, Favre has been a joy to watch and a darling of the football gods. But now his powers are declining, and when great athletes begin to lose abilities they once had, many find this hard to face. For the great athlete, everything in life has been an upward arc -- through youth, college, the pros and finally national renown, things just keep getting better. Then suddenly things stop getting better and performance begins to decline. In Kelly's final season, he threw a bad interception at the goal line in a close loss and came off the field repeating aloud over and over, 'I don't understand it.' The phrase 'I don't understand it' must run through the heads of many stellar athletes as their abilities deteriorate and the curtain call approaches. This thought must be running through Favre's head now."

800943[/snapback]

I don't have an answer to your question, but is that the only Bills reference in TMQ? If so, we got off easy this week.

800943[/snapback]

Miami; he played terribly that game. Before the pick he was called for a bogus grounding call for throwing out of the back of the endzone...I've seen QB's do that ~700 times in the last 10 years and not 1 flag.

I don't think that thought is running through Favres head this season, maybe 2-3 years ago.

He should have hung the cleats up a couple years ago cause now every year he keeps getting worse. "This is the most talented Packers team I have been on"? Who are you trying to kid Brett, Have you been sacked to many times to remember the Super Bowl teams you lead?

I don't think that thought is running through Favres head this season, maybe 2-3 years ago.

He should have hung the cleats up a couple years ago cause now every year he keeps getting worse. "This is the most talented Packers team I have been on"? Who are you trying to kid Brett, Have you been sacked to many times to remember the Super Bowl teams you lead?

800953[/snapback]

Well 2 years ago he threw for 4,088 yards, 30 TD's, and 17 INT's ... so I dont think I can agree with you on him hanging up his cleats then. That is a stellar season for ANY QB.

Of course not...Guess which play he didn't like?

800951[/snapback]

The only comment I saw was him ripping on the players' inability to run the plays in the sequence leading up to the fake punt. I'm glad he didn't make fun of the fake punt call itself, because I don't think I could stomach that level of hypocrisy.

800943[/snapback]

Miami@ RICH STADIUM week 7- He threw a nice pass to Andre Reed, down to the 1 yard line. He attempted a screen in the flat that Buckley took to the house. After the game he was down. Calling for backup Todd Collins to get a shot. I think the game was 1996.

Miami@ RICH STADIUM - He threw a nice pass to Andre Reed, down to the 1 yard line. He attempted a screen in the flat that Buckley took to the house. After the game he was down. Calling for backup Todd Collins to get a shot. I think the game was 1997?

800991[/snapback]

Huh? Wasnt 1996 Kelly's last season? Todd Collins was horrible that 1997 season if I remember right.

Miami@ RICH STADIUM week 7- He threw a nice pass to Andre Reed, down to the 1 yard line. He attempted a screen in the flat that Buckley took to the house. After the game he was down. Calling for backup Todd Collins to get a shot. I think the game was 1996.

800991[/snapback]

My brother and I were at that game. Man was that a long drive home.

Kind of felt that way too.  The only reason the interception happened was because Reed didn't get in the end zone on the big pass play previous.

801072[/snapback]

I remember it like it was yesterday. I was at the game and I turned to my buddy and said, "Boy I wish Reed had scored there. The short field makes the endzone crowded. I wish we had Robb Riddick right now."

Ruined a perfect day. :doh:

Miami; he played terribly that game.  Before the pick he was called for a bogus grounding call for throwing out of the back of the endzone...I've seen QB's do that ~700 times in the last 10 years and not 1 flag.

800952[/snapback]

Bingo, thats what he did not understand, not his play. It was same as the just give it to em PI on the Hail Mary.Once in a lifetime calls that seem seem to agaisn't our beloved Bills

The beginning of the end.

801039[/snapback]

Actually, Dax is right, it was 1996.

Funny, I remember at the end of that season, after the playoff meltdown against the Jags, rumours started to swirl that Kelly was going to retire. There were also rumours that many of Kellys' troubles on the field that year, could be attributed, in part to problems off the field.

If you remember, Jim was horrendous the first half of that season, and then suffered a mysterious injury during practice. He sat out three games, and came back a much better QB. I wish I could remember where I read it, but after that season, they compared the stats of all the starting QB's, and statistically, Kelly was in the top three during the final 8 games of the season. I had always wished he had played another year. I hate the fact that the last memory we have of Jim Kelly as a player (arguably the greatest in Bills history, inarguably the most important player in franchise history) was him going off on a golf cart, with a concussion, after the Bills dropped the first home playoff loss in team history.

I, for one, don't begrudge great players who hang on too long...at the same time, I admire those who bow out gracefully. The game, in the end is about the players. Favre should play as long as he wants, and as long as someone is willing to pay him to do so.

I remember it like it was yesterday.  I was at the game and I turned to my buddy and said, "Boy I wish Reed had scored there.  The short field makes the endzone crowded.  I wish we had Robb Riddick right now."

Ruined a perfect day.  :doh:

801094[/snapback]

Also, wasn't Kelly called for grounding (a bogus call) on 1st and goal ?

I also think this was the 1st win by Jimmy Johnson and the Phish against the Bills.

Miami; he played terribly that game.  Before the pick he was called for a bogus grounding call for throwing out of the back of the endzone...I've seen QB's do that ~700 times in the last 10 years and not 1 flag.

800952[/snapback]

Looked like we had that game won, then the bogus grounding(it was grounding, but he wasn't under duress and it was very unusual to see grounding calls like that at the time) followed by the pic 6 to Buckley at the goal line.

It should be noted that the year before Kelly retired, 1995, he was arguably the AFC offensive player of the year. He had a great year, it was maybe the point where he was playing his smartest football and he still had enough physically to make it all work. Favre still has good physical skills, but he's always had a ten cent head and it's just become glaring now that he's no longer a spectacular athlete.

Looked like we had that game won, then the bogus grounding(it was grounding, but he wasn't under duress and it was very unusual to see grounding calls like that at the time) followed by the pic 6 to Buckley at the goal line.

It should be noted that the year before Kelly retired, 1995,  he was arguably the AFC offensive player of the year.  He had a great year, it was maybe the point where he was playing his smartest football and he still had enough physically to make it all work.  Favre still has good physical skills, but he's always had a ten cent head and it's just become glaring now that he's no longer a spectacular athlete.

801290[/snapback]

Yeah 95 might've been my favorite team ever. They had amazing heart. Kelly called everyone out in the middle of a 3 game division road trip - which started badly - but ended with Henry Jones stuffing Marshall Faulk on the goaline in the RCA dome. The Miami playoff game goes without saying...if only we could've salvaged a split against the 6-10 Patsies :doh: