And the most overrated Bills award goes to...

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aaron Schobel. If it wasn't for his one customary meaningless sack today, I would have sworn he wasn't playing today.

799180[/snapback]

While I'm in no way saying that he played a good game, he did get a few pressures.He did get around the corner and pressure Grossman a few times; he was held a couple of plays I as well. There wasn't much pressure up the middle. Now Clements and McGee...; NEXT QUESTION?

PFFT Mcgee has looked like a probowler all season :D

799336[/snapback]

Thats the first costly mistake the guy has made all year! Week in and week out I've noticed him breaking up passes all over the field. He comes to play every week. I wish I could say this stuff about Clements, although Nate doesn't deserve quite the amount of criticism some give him.

Didn't he get burned pretty bad on one of the passing TD's... Was it Davis'??

Maybe I am giving him a bad rap?

799343[/snapback]

I was being sarcastic. I dont think McGee has looked good at all. He's consistently getting beat when he tries to press receivers, and yeah he's fast but mcgee jamming a wr especially with inexperienced safeties will be a recipe for disaster the rest of the year.

In all honesty I dont find much fault with our secondary. This defense is based off pressure from the dline. Which is non existent, but I'm not worried we play some crappy teams where Im sure Schobel will rack up a good # of coverage sacks

I was being sarcastic. I dont think McGee has looked good at all. He's consistently getting beat when he tries to press receivers, and yeah he's fast but mcgee jamming a wr especially with inexperienced safeties will be a recipe for disaster the rest of the year.

In all honesty I dont find much fault with our secondary.  This defense is based off pressure from the dline. Which is non existent, but I'm not worried we play some crappy teams where Im sure Schobel will rack up a good # of coverage sacks

799346[/snapback]

Clements has sucked all year, and today was the worse I have seen him play. He Stays 9 yards off the line and consistently was burned deep, wiffed on at least 5 tackles. Totally overrated and over paid.

Clements has sucked all year, and today was the worse I have seen him play. He Stays 9 yards off the line and consistently was burned deep, wiffed on at least 5 tackles.  Totally overrated and over paid.

799355[/snapback]

I agree, I think Nate has looked ptetty average (at best) ever since he was named the best defensive back in the leauge, by some NFL "experts" and himself, two off-seasons ago. He doesn't get tested as often as McGee, but, IMO, has started making a habit out of failing the tests he gets. He rarely seems in position, any more, to make a tackle, let alone defend a pass. McGee, at least, has some legit excuses...he is small, and is going to get owned by guys like Berrian.

All that said, I think the problems that Clements and McGee had today, were, in part, a coaching philosophy that doesn't seem to be working. I am assuming that Jauron, or Fewell, is instructing the DB's to position themselves as they have been. Maybe I am wrong, but I don't think the DB's are given that much latitue, pre-snap.

I think it was after the Jets game, and someone asked Dick Jauron about Penningtons' success against the Bills. Jauron said that much of the success Pennington was having, was based on the "rhythm" passing game that the Jets liked to run with Pennington. When the reporter asked Jauron why the Bills db's were playing so far off the Jets receivers, rather than jamming them up closer to the line of scrimmage (to hopefully interrupt their rhythym), Jauron said something to the effect of "that is the way we prefer to defend that type of passing game"....

Today, it seemed to me, the Bills corners were trying to play tight coverage on the Bears bigger, faster receivers, and they really were just no physical match for the them. (Berrian, to me, is looking like a stronger version of Randy Moss) Neither Clements or McGee is a "cover corner", and they have to stop pretending that they are.

The Bears are a long ball team, the Bills would have been better off playing off the line, and trying to get themselves into position to make tackles, rather than interceptions. As bad as Clements and McGee may have played today, I think the defensive game plan was a little flawed. But, I guess that is an easy observation to make, when you are beat by 30 points.

In all honesty I dont find much fault with our secondary.  This defense is based off pressure from the dline. Which is non existent, but I'm not worried we play some crappy teams where Im sure Schobel will rack up a good # of coverage sacks

799346[/snapback]

So the secondary really can't do anything alone, yet at the same time are responsible for Schobel's sacks?

So the secondary really can't do anything alone, yet at the same time are responsible for Schobel's sacks?

799489[/snapback]

In certain situations yes. There's not a lot of experience in the system, however when the coverage is on it can free up the dline to get pressure. The system itself more or less relies on pressure from the dline. You still have to have a good secondary, but the tampa 2 is a pass rush attacking defense that starts up front. A luxury we can't afford. however they've yet to give up a huge passing day 300+ yards which tells me they can hold coverage.

The main thing I dont like about schobel is the constant wide lane he takes on a rush. It seems to me he really has no variation of pass rush moves, and if he doesn't beat his man off the snap with his inital speed he can simply be walked out of the play by being cut off and having to run up field and back around. The dt's are average-below average. I believe in time McCargo will be good and I believe Larry Triplett was a good signing but until we upgrade de and wait for McCargo/Triplett/Williams to get experience in the system it will be to the secondary to consistently hold coverage. It explains why the corners play off the wr's. It's frustrating to watch, but it's what we're stuck with for the time being.