Is it just me

plenzmd1

Okay, I am first to admit that I never played, coached, or reviewed game film for 8 hrs a day on o-line play. But my impression has been the o-line has been pretty dam good so far. I thought last week they did a tremendous job agaisn't one of the better front fours(especially the Williams boys)and we were able to control clock and keep the D honest by continuing to run the ball inside.While there may not have been many big plays, there were enough for positive yards to keep the clock moving and move the sticks, and again prevent the D making us one dimensional.

But I am reading Clayton this morning, and listening to ESPN radio the other day and the reading SI and everybody keeps saying the Bears d-line vs our BAD o-line is not going to be pretty. I just do not get it. Is it because people tend to hold onto their preseason notions too long, our am I missing something and is our line performing badly. Is it because of the two big sacks in the Jets game when Willis missed a couple of blocks and the talking heads just assume sacks mean someone on the o-line fugged up?

I think it is people are slow to let go of thier preseason bias.This is usually where bettors can make some money, when your eyes and brain tell a team is pretty good, but because of where they were picked preseason, still not getting the respect they deserve, not from the media, but from the betting public.

Me thinks ya got three teams like that right now, the Bills,Jets,Saints.

One thing I would like to see this OL do is give the TEs freedom to run in the middle of the field and be part of the passing game....Too many times Royal has to be back to help out the OL there by forgoing a weapon on the offense.

We need the TEs to be involved in the passing game to be successful.

The football intelligencia will not change their story about the Bills until they make the playoffs. Until then, it's all 'rebuilding' stories, Marv is old, JP isn't ready, suspect OL, blah blah blah.

After Week 8, if our guys continue to play well, the talking heads might label the Bills as a "surprise" team, they could turn some heads, and that the full-of-sh-- speaker of this "knew it all along."

This is what you get when you bother to listen to these clowns. I watch the game. That's it. No pregame shows, no Sporting News, no E$PN, etc. I scan the TBD frontpage for real information -- injury reports, etc.

The football intelligencia will not change their story about the Bills until they make the playoffs. Until then, it's all 'rebuilding' stories, Marv is old, JP isn't ready, suspect OL, blah blah blah.

After Week 8, if our guys continue to play well, the talking heads might label the Bills as a "surprise" team, they could turn some heads, and that the full-of-sh-- speaker of this "knew it all along."

This is what you get when you bother to listen to these clowns. I watch the game. That's it. No pregame shows, no Sporting News, no E$PN, etc. I scan the TBD frontpage for real information -- injury reports, etc.

796979[/snapback]

Excellent point. We aren't getting any love nationally until we whip somebody good. I think the O-line is playing better and this could be a real statement game on Sunday if we can successfully run against the Bears. If that happens...then (hold your breath!) WE COULD ACTUALLY BEAT THE GREATEST FOOTBALL TEAM THAT EVER EXISTED IN ALL OF HISTORY!!! God I would love to shove the ball down their throats between the tackles and come out on top on Sunday. Not just for the victory but to listen to all the back pedaling in the media.

I'm sure the OLine takes great pride in the fact that they are plowing for the NFL's leading rusher.

796969[/snapback]

And well they should, but run blocking is the "easy" part of being an offensive lineman.

I think that the o.p. is down playing the problem, as if it only started this offseason. This has been going on for a decade or more, and some pretty big questions remain both for now, and in the future.

Gandy is about average imo, and he is a ufa in 07. It is very hard to tell what kind of salary he will get, but it will certainly dwarf what he is paid now, simply based on the fact that he is able to man the LT position on something of a consistent basis.

CV is old and banged up, and the middle seems to collapse too often. A key free agent (Steinbach?) and a rookie who can play would go a long way toward JP improving, and the Bills winning more football games.

Excellent point.  We aren't getting any love nationally until we whip somebody good.  I think the O-line is playing better and this could be a real statement game on Sunday if we can successfully run against the Bears.  If that happens...then (hold your breath!) WE COULD ACTUALLY BEAT THE GREATEST FOOTBALL TEAM THAT EVER EXISTED IN ALL OF HISTORY!!!  God I would love to shove the ball down their throats between the tackles and come out on top on Sunday.  Not just for the victory but to listen to all the back pedaling in the media.

797001[/snapback]

If the Bills do win, even convincingly, it'll probably be roundly regarded as an off day for the Bears.

I won't mind if their opponents keep having off days against the Bills.

Actually, I didn't think the O-line was as bad last year, as everyone was insisting...not great enough to cover up for a very green QB, but they didn't look so bad when Holcomb was in there...it is never just all one thing....

I've been shocked to see how many times JP can count 4-mississippi and still have extra time to scan the field and throw. I think the O-line has done a tremendous job so far. There have been a couple breakdowns when team's overload and blitz us but that even happens to the best O-lines in all of football. No line is perfect.

Excellent point.  We aren't getting any love nationally until we whip somebody good.  I think the O-line is playing better and this could be a real statement game on Sunday if we can successfully run against the Bears.  If that happens...then (hold your breath!) WE COULD ACTUALLY BEAT THE GREATEST FOOTBALL TEAM THAT EVER EXISTED IN ALL OF HISTORY!!!  God I would love to shove the ball down their throats between the tackles and come out on top on Sunday.  Not just for the victory but to listen to all the back pedaling in the media.

797001[/snapback]

There would be no back pedaling. It would be a classic let down game by the Bears. They looked past us and we got lucky. Or spin very similar to that.

I look at a couple things........

They have the leagues leading rusher with McGahee, thats gives them and attitude for more production.

Look at JP's QB rating this year, its been very good! Hes by far played alot better then last year.

Its just the 4th game all year, they are only going to get better as long as they stay healthy, they stay healthy they get better!

The OL is 10 times better then last year, but I think alot of credit should be given to Steve Fairchild, he has designed this offense around its strength!

They ARE playing better (and I told you all they would because they put the emphasis on bringing in veteran O Linemen to fill the holes on the line....

I just wish they would play better during the IMPORTANT moments of the game. We would be scoring a lot more points if they could hold their blocks for just a second longer when other teams are really bringing it......

Here is what I want to see with our OL..........

Have the Bills winning a game in the 4th quarter by 10 and really establish the running game and just run the ball down the other teams throats. I mean just totally take over the game!

Like with Minnesota, they should have never had 1 shot at winning the game. If Buffalos line was a little better, we are not holding our breathe when the ball was thrown to Marcus Robinson....A good OL smells blood and goes for the kill, something Buffalo dont quite have yet!

Actually, I didn't think the O-line was as bad last year, as everyone was insisting...not great enough to cover up for a very green QB, but they didn't look so bad when Holcomb was in there...it is never just all one thing....

797195[/snapback]

The biggest problem with the OL last year and to an extent this year is the amount of penalties they accrued inside the Red Zone, which forced us to kick field goals

or be out of FG range...Though this problem has reduced this season, it is still plaguing this offense.

The biggest problem with the OL last year and to an extent this year is the amount of penalties they accrued inside the Red Zone, which forced us to kick field goals

or be out of FG range...Though this problem has reduced this season, it is still plaguing this offense.

797221[/snapback]

Yeah it is too......

i think they will cut down on them when they get settled down with the offense.....

I have noticed that Losman has a great nack at getting the DL to jump!