Did I just make a mistake? I just dont know

I have a administrative job at a university in California and have been working there for 6 + years (basically since I got out of the Air Force)

My position deals specifically with working with Students (mostly Graduate Students) and faculty....a job I do enjoy and get a sense of satisfaction because I know I am helping them.....

Anyways....I have NEVER done anything wrong on the campus and hardly every had any problems when I was in the AF....so it was entirely new territory for me when I was reprimanded for a mistake a made with a students file.

I made a mistake and gave a student their file to give to their advisor right before they were to do a test that pretty much finishes their education and right before they get their degree. It was totally my fault and I admit that....the fact that I was doing about 3 things and talking to 2 different people at once in no excuse.

Anyways....the dept I worked for went right for the jugular and wrote me a letter of Warning. In the university world that is the kiss of death. You cannot move on the campus, get promoted, nothing with this in your file and it stays in there for 2 years. To make matters worse the powers that be in my dept made my direct supervisor write the letter (she did not want to do it....and tried to talk them down but was NOT going to go against mgt)

About a week after it happened my Union calls and they want to have a sit down to try to get the Dept to change the letter to more of a training memo because my record was clean to tht point.....the Dept refused so the next step was formal grievance.

The Union was really pressing me to continue on with the grevience because they didnt follow the step by step chain for punishment.....but the way the dept set everything up my supervisor would have been blamed if they lost because she (forcibly) wrote the letter, I also feared retrobution from the dept and I need my job especially the benefits of it since my car accident.....

So this morning I withdrew my grievance....now the letter sits in my file for 2 years (well....now 1 year and 8 months) and they can basically fire me over any little thing.....and I cant move anywhere except off campus for a job.

Did I screw up?

I have a administrative job at a university in California and have been working there for 6 + years (basically since I got out of the Air Force)

My position deals specifically with working with Students (mostly Graduate Students) and faculty....a job I do enjoy and get a sense of satisfaction because I know I am helping them.....

Anyways....I have NEVER done anything wrong on the campus and hardly every had any problems when I was in the AF....so it was entirely new territory for me when I was reprimanded for a mistake a made with a students file.

I made a mistake and gave a student their file to give to their advisor right before they were to do a test that pretty much finishes their education and right before they get their degree.  It was totally my fault and I admit that....the fact that I was doing about 3 things and talking to 2 different people at once in no excuse. 

Anyways....the dept I worked for went right for the jugular and wrote me a letter of Warning.  In the university world that is the kiss of death.  You cannot move on the campus, get promoted, nothing with this in your file and it stays in there for 2 years.  To make matters worse the powers that be in my dept made my direct supervisor write the letter (she did not want to do it....and tried to talk them down but was NOT going to go against mgt)

About a week after it happened my Union calls and they want to have a sit down to try to get the Dept to change the letter to more of a training memo because my record was clean to tht point.....the Dept refused so the next step was formal grievance.

The Union was really pressing me to continue on with the grevience because they didnt follow the step by step chain for punishment.....but the way the dept set everything up my supervisor would have been blamed if they lost because she (forcibly) wrote the letter, I also feared retrobution from the dept and I need my job especially the benefits of it since my car accident.....

So this morning I withdrew my grievance....now the letter sits in my file for 2 years (well....now 1 year and 8 months) and they can basically fire me over any little thing.....and I cant move anywhere except off campus for a job.

Did I screw up?

794383[/snapback]

Yep, you took a union job. :P

Not filing the grievence was the right move, don't stir the pot. But it sounds like someone doesn't like you. They jumped right to the harshest punishment.

You know you can't change jobs there, so you might just as well start looking elsewhere. If you find a new postion, but they want you to stay, you insist that the letter get removed. If they don't, move on. my $.02

Of course I'd be offering this right after Bill posted.... <_<

Why is the union so eager to push it? Be careful they aren’t using you to push their own agenda.

If your record is expunged in 20 months, that doesn't seem too awful. Plus, you always have the recourse to utilize a grievance procedure should they do anything more to you in the future (i.e., try to terminate you).

If you have good relationships with your superiors, I'd let it go.

I don't work for a union, but in my experience, when management starts writting formal documents for you to sign that go in your folder, time to look for a new job. Sorry... <_<

794417[/snapback]

Ditto. Particularly when senior management goes right for the throat like that. Every time I've seen that happen (and the once it's happened to me), it's been someone pursuing a vendetta. I'd get your resume polished, and talk to your union about what to do if there's any further actions against you.

Ditto.  Particularly when senior management goes right for the throat like that.  Every time I've seen that happen (and the once it's happened to me), it's been someone pursuing a vendetta.  I'd get your resume polished, and talk to your union about what to do if there's any further actions against you.

794431[/snapback]

I agree. And with that, I would say push back, get that letter out of your record, and screw anyone you can on your way out.

But I'm a vindicitive SOB, so you may want to go your own way.

Did I screw up?

794383[/snapback]

I think you did.

Is there a window for filing the grievance?

You can always dismiss the greivance with the simple agreement to have the letter removed, can't you? (the union may want to press it as a test case, but remember it is your case and they represent you.)

There is a greivance process so there are no hard feelings, right?

They are the ones insisting on the warning letter. You don't like it.

Tell your supervisor that it isn't personal, and that you are willing to accept the outcome of the process. You just hope you can get the letter removed.

If it is grievance material (against your own bargaining agreement) the letter should be withdrawn.

I dont know if is that mgt hates me so much as it seems to hate everyone....

I have been at this particular office for about 3 years....and since that time it has gone through a COMPLETE change of staff except for me and my supervisor...either by firing, quitting, or finding other jobs....

It is so bad that:

- People that they are hiring are quitting before they actually here long enough to know their names...the last hire quit BEFORE she started her job this was in another office within the dept.

- I am not sure if it my bad letter or where I cam coming from on campus that is not allowing me to move....

Now I will say this....and I dont know if I shouldn't feel this way...but I feel a loyalty to my supervisor and one of the reasons why I canceled my grievance was they set her up to get in trouble if they lost...they made HER give the punishment even though she didn't agree with it....

I think you did.

Is there a window for filing the grievance?

You can always dismiss the greivance with the simple agreement to have the letter removed, can't you? (the union may want to press it as a test case, but remember it is your case and they represent you.)

There is a greivance process so there are no hard feelings, right?

They are the ones insisting on the warning letter. You don't like it.

Tell your supervisor that it isn't personal, and that you are willing to accept the outcome of the process. You just hope you can get the letter removed.

If it is grievance material (against your own bargaining agreement) the letter should be withdrawn.

794459[/snapback]

Actually that is what the grievance was filed for...just asking for the letter to be downgraded....they put up a hard stance and would not do it because there was a precident....another employee in my dept had the same thing happen to her and she didn't fight it......so they say they have a precidence to give that punishment.

Actually that is what the grievance was filed for...just asking for the letter to be downgraded....they put up a hard stance and would not do it because there was a precident....another employee in my dept had the same thing happen to her and she didn't fight it......so they say they have a precidence to give that punishment.

794470[/snapback]

I always thought the only thing Unions were good for was when you screwed up. So you kinda screwed up twice. Should have taken advice and fought it, that's why you pay dues.

they made HER give the punishment even though she didn't agree with it....

794466[/snapback]

And they made her not follow proceedure?

Then she screwed up. If she is loyal to you as well she should

put it in writing that she supports the downgrading of the Warning.

Ask her if she will.

She may say yes, she may say no.

If not, why not?

If it is fear of retaliation from her superiors, guess what, she may not be around long and you should file the grievance. It is against the law to treat you any differently because of a grievance.

And they made her not follow proceedure?

Then she screwed up. If she is loyal to you as well she should

put it in writing that she supports the downgrading of the Warning.

Ask her if she will.

She may say yes, she may say no.

If not, why not?

If it is fear of retaliation from her superiors, guess what, she may not be around long and you should file the grievance. It is against the law to treat you any differently because of a grievance.

794483[/snapback]

She is petrified of her superiors....basically holding on for retirement.

Are the actions the department took outside the bounds of University guidelines? Does the University have an ombuds office or other unofficial/non-formal/confidential means to address the situation? Sounds like there's a really unhealthy work environment there and it's in the University's best interest to understand what is really happening within that department. Maybe they don't have such a program (I do realize that academia is far different than the private sector in a lot of ways), but it's worth checking into. Sometimes you don't know such things exist unless you look...

If you are a member of a Union, you need to support them just as you expect them to support you.

The Union was trying to protect not only your best interests but also those of the membership, before and after you! If management pulls that crap with you chances are they will do it with others and perhaps they already have.

Hindsight is 20/20, but you should not have withdrawn the grievance. If you think your employer will respect you for withdrawing the grievance, you are wrong.

Sounds like you have a real first class A-hole for a big boss and your union membership is the only chance to level the playing field. I expect, with your union seniority, you're making more than entry level, and the big boss is looking for ways to save money by replacing you or just eliminating your job altogether.

Good luck, from a retired union shop steward!

Now I will say this....and I dont know if I shouldn't feel this way...but I feel a loyalty to my supervisor and one of the reasons why I canceled my grievance was they set her up to get in trouble if they lost...they made HER give the punishment even though she didn't agree with it....

794466[/snapback]

I once felt this way. But unfortunately, companies have no loyalty to the employee anymore. Try not to let your personal feelings for your boss let you get in trouble...

I dont know if is that mgt hates me so much as it seems to hate everyone....

I have been at this particular office for about 3 years....and since that time it has gone through a COMPLETE change of staff except for me and my supervisor...either by firing, quitting, or finding other jobs....

It is so bad that:

- People that they are hiring are quitting before they actually here long enough to know their names...the last hire quit BEFORE she started her job this was in another office within the dept.

- I am not sure if it my bad letter or where I cam coming from on campus that is not allowing me to move....

794466[/snapback]

Wrong again John. If they "made" her do it, why would she get in "trouble" if the union won the grievance.

I suggest that you become active in your union and more familiar with the procedures, etc.

You might make be a good shop steward.

I always thought the only thing Unions were good for was when you screwed up.  So you kinda screwed up twice.  Should have taken advice and fought it, that's why you pay dues.

794478[/snapback]

This is my feeling too.

You pay dues so the people who know how to deal with these issues do it for you.

We had a guy here who drove truck, goofed off half the day, drank for lunch, shopped at lawn sales on the company $ and was defended until he retired. WHY? because they could

NOT fire him without letters in his file. Not one supervisor wrote hime up. If a grievance will get the letter out of your file that is what you needed to do.