What would possibly entice a fane to leave early?

MDyl7993

After 19 years of driving from Rochester to every game I've got everything pretty much figured out.  I'm almost always home by 6PM.  My wife is throwing in a wrinkle by insisting that my son go to church at 9 on Sunday mornings, but even then we got to our parking spot at noon yesterday.  Actually traffic was nearly non-existant both ways yesterday. PM me if you're interested in some gameday travel secrets (worth big $ 0:) )

792906[/snapback]

Get an extra ticket and tailgate with a priest. Problem solved. If he's Irish Catholic he'll probably drink you under the table, and it always helps to have a man of the cloth with you if you get pulled over by The Man on the way home.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think I made any such guarantee. I merely stated last week that even when I tried to look for tix, there were many available and the game had not been announced as a sell out. Knowing I could not attend the game in person, I was disappointed that the game appeared as though it would not be televised.

Someone in that thread kept trying to tell me that the tix I was pulling up on line would fail if I tried to buy them, but I have tried to buy tickets to games in the past and was simply told no tickets matched my request, I wasn't offered a block of tickets only to have them pulled back when I tried to pay.

I watched from the stands in week 3 as tens of THOUSANDS of fans left the game with over 6 minutes left and heard from a friend at the game yesterday that a smaller yet noticible exodus began mid fourth quarter yesterday as well.

If the new trend is to leave the game early... I think it says a lot about the type of "fans" that now attend games. Rubeo, not you, when the kids gotta go, YOU gotta go 0:)

792830[/snapback]

Some very broad generalizations from a guy who doesn't go to the game, and cries when it's not sold out and he won't be able to watch on TV. Buck up and then you can talk. If Tops buys the last 2000 tix and donates them to the Boys Club or military families, you get to sit home and watch on TV, and then come here and criticize anyone who leaves early or wasn't loud enough. Nice.

By the way, there wasn't six minutes left when people left the Jets game. There was three minutes left, and the Jets just milked half the quarter away on a long TD drive. 28-13, this sucks I'm outta here. That has always happened at Bills game, don't give me the "Fans are not what they used to be" bullschit. The exact same thing has always happened. If players are sad because the stadium is half-full, tough titties. That shouldn't even be a concern to them.

Leaving a football game early that is not a stone cold lock is crazy to me. You put so much effort into preparing for a tailgate by going shopping, calling friends, going to bed early so you can make it to the game....then on gameday you wake up 2 hours early because everyone needs to use the bathroom and you need to stock the cooler with ice and goodies, get into the car and make your pilgramage to The Ralph. You have to possibly battle cold rain and high winds the entire afternoon, walk 15 minutes from the lot to the gate...get patted down by cops, make it to your seat after buying double priced concessions.

This is what you do JUST to get to the point of what you are doing it for.

After all of that, you are going to leave with 8 minutes left in a 2 score game because you want to save 30 minutes on the road? I know people have families and other commitments, but for 2 weeks in a row now the game came down to the final drive with a realistic chance for a reverse outcome, and there were 50K left in the stands during those drives.

To those 20,000 that left...... do any of you have kids or do you abandon the process 25% before the act is completed because you don't want the inconvenience of cleaning up the mess?

Some very broad generalizations from a guy who doesn't go to the game, and cries when it's not sold out and he won't be able to watch on TV.  Buck up and then you can talk.  If Tops buys the last 2000 tix and donates them to the Boys Club or military families, you get to sit home and watch on TV, and then come here and criticize anyone who leaves early or wasn't loud enough.  Nice.

By the way, there wasn't six minutes left when people left the Jets game.  There was three minutes left, and the Jets just milked half the quarter away on a long TD drive.  28-13, this sucks I'm outta here.  That has always happened at Bills game, don't give me the "Fans are not what they used to be" bullschit.  The exact same thing has always happened.  If players are sad because the stadium is half-full, tough titties.  That shouldn't even be a concern to them.

792936[/snapback]

I attend 3-4 games a year and could not attend yesterday because we had family in from out of town. I was worried about the game being on TV because I wanted us all to be able to watch it together. I have never CRIED that the games are not on TV.

The fact that there are 2000 seats available a couple of days before a game makes my point for me.

I sat in the 300 level, at the home opener BOOING the PARADE of people leaving the game with way more than 3 minutes left. Many of the people on this board were sitting around me also watching the VERY early exodus.

I will stand by what I said. Many of the people (many more than there used to be) only attend the game for the party and are MUCH less interested in the game. That is why many of them leave early.

If the fact I wasn't at THIS weeks game means I am not allowed to express an opinion that with the exception of a hardcore group of fans, that Bills (and Buffalo fans in general) are not a "great" as they make themselves out to be than too bad.

To everyone bitching about leaving the Ralph, what ever happend to staying and post-game tailgating til around 7ish? My parents house is in Pendleton, and its never taken us more than 45 mins (30 min ride with no traffic) to get home from a game.

When I left AFTER the game ended, there was no traffic tie ups. Bet it was worse for those who felt they had had enough.

792745[/snapback]

I Stayed for the whole game and can't imagine where you went out of the stadium that there was no traffic problem. I was stuck in line for 27 mins before I got to go forward at all. Traffic was bumper to bumper then all the way to East Aurora. When I finally got on the 400 I lost the traffic.

That is the main reason why I usually leave my seats with 5 mins left in the game. My radio headset on to my car then the radio of the game and post game until I get home to rewind the tape and watch the end.

This week I sat inside the REDZONE and stayed for the whole game.

To anyone who attends more than one game a year but is not a season ticket holder:

We never pay more than $10 for parking. When it's warm, we park in somebody's front lawn for $5 on the corner of Southwestern and California Road. There is also a Car wash on that corner that charges $8, and that's where we usually park in the winter. If you don't mind the extra walk, it's quite a savings over the course of the year. Also, if you park a little ways away from the stadium, you're not going to have delays trying to get out of the lots.

Next topic, your route to and from the stadium: If you attend at least two games a year, and every year you get stuck in traffic using the same route, why wouldn't you use a map and find a route that doesn't utilize expressways? Use backroads to get away from the congestion, and then hop on the expressway later. Obviously, when 70,000 people are trying to get home, and they're all using the expressway, it's going to be a bit crowded. If you're headed back to Rochester, you could take Union Road, (277) all the way north until you hit the 33, and then get on the 90 from there. It will probably only take you about 15-20 minutes on union, and if you ask me that's better than sitting in traffic. There are several other alternative routes you could take, just look at a map. I live in Amherst, and always take Harlem Road (240) and can get home in ~20-30 minutes.

Summary:

2 tickets @ $47 each: $94

Parking: $5

Two Steak and Cheese subs: $15

Total: $114 for two people

To everyone bitching about leaving the Ralph, what ever happend to staying and post-game tailgating til around 7ish? My parents house is in Pendleton, and its never taken us more than 45 mins (30 min ride with no traffic) to get home from a game.

Thats what I'm talking about. I always stay till the end, no matter what. Its a bit of a joke in my family.

I never get tied up in traffic. The reason is I get back to the car, throw a few more burgers and dogs on the grill and continue tailgating. Maybe a post-game football game. When we leave its usually cause we're out of daylight. There is no traffic. We spent the same time just hanging out that others spent snarled in traffic.

And, yes, I have one of the longest drives home, 7+ hours to NYC. Doesn't make a difference if I leave at 4 PM and get home at midnight or 6 PM and get home at 2 AM. My ass will draggin Monday morning anyway, so why not simply enjoy the time.

I attend 3-4 games a year and could not attend yesterday because we had family in from out of town. I was worried about the game being on TV because I wanted us all to be able to watch it together. I have never CRIED that the games are not on TV.

The fact that there are 2000 seats available a couple of days before a game makes my point for me.

I sat in the 300 level, at the home opener BOOING the PARADE of people leaving the game with way more than 3 minutes left. Many of the people on this board were sitting around me also watching the VERY early exodus.

I will stand by what I said. Many of the people (many more than there used to be) only attend the game for the party and are MUCH less interested in the game. That is why many of them leave early.

If the fact I wasn't at THIS weeks game means I am not allowed to express an opinion that with the exception of a hardcore group of fans, that Bills (and Buffalo fans in general) are not a "great" as they make themselves out to be than too bad.

792956[/snapback]

It's okay Superfan, you're off duty for a while. No home game till Oct 22nd.

0:)

anxiety attack? need drugs?

Need to drink?

Left car running and gas on empty?

Hungry?

Bored?

Thought a game was only 3 quarters?

Hot date?

When I left AFTER the game ended, there was no traffic tie ups.  Bet it was worse for those who felt they had had enough.

792745[/snapback]

I leave early so I can steal custom license plates from out of town Bills fans.

Maybe it was the 6hrs of drinking before the game, but I didnt see too many empty seats on the last drive yesterday. In fact me & my friends were all commenting that was the loudest we have heard the ralph in a long time. The jets game was a different story. To say there was 20,000 empty seats at the end of the game yesterday is just flat out wrong.

I live in Rochester, so it is a little different for me. I am not familiar with any of the back ways. We take the expressway all the way to Route 90. If the game us over by 4:00, we will not get home until between 7:00 or 7:30.

I didn't say that visiting teams had more fans than Bills fans, but it is not uncommon for there to be between 10,000 and 15,000 Patriots or Jets fans at our home games, and many of them outnumber Bills fans in certain sections. That is all that I was implying.

792848[/snapback]

If time is a priority, you're definitely parking in the wrong place and going the wrong way. It shouldn't take much more than 2 hours to get to Rochester. I've got a 5 - 5 1/2 hour trip, never leave the game early-but I'm very familiar with all routes & can change paths if necessary. I'll only talk about the trip home, since the trip there depends on when you are arriving. I park in the stadium lot, lot 5-it's the best for a quick exit east. I park as close to the exit as possible-that way you don't get backed up in the lot. If on a day like yesterday, there's no traffic when the game ends, I take 20 east to milestrip-left on milestrip to 219 north, on to the Thruway & stay on until Albany. If it's a more typical game, the Thruway is the worst place to be-even worse if you get on at Blasdell-you have an extra set of toll booths to jam you up. I go straight east on 20, it turns into 78 & I pick up the Thruway in Depew-past the 190, 290 & toll booth jams. If you're going to enough games, buy a map of the Buffalo area & plot out alternate routes. I've used Union as an alternative on some occasions. With stops, I'm usually home between 9:30 & 10:00. On a really good day I'm home by 9. My best time is around 4 hours 15 minutes, but that was an overtime game where I beat all the traffic out by leaving as soon as the winning kick sailed through the goalposts.

Contrary to some opinions-the stadium lots are a lot quicker than private lots because 1)You get to your car faster than most of the crowd leaving the game & 2) The police stop traffic & let you out periodically-a private lot can take forever-especially if it's down on a sidestreet off Abbott.

Thats what I'm talking about.  I always stay till the end, no matter what.  Its a bit of a joke in my family. 

I never get tied up in traffic.  The reason is I get back to the car, throw a few more burgers and dogs on the grill and continue tailgating.  Maybe a post-game football game.  When we leave its usually cause we're out of daylight.  There is no traffic.  We spent the same time just hanging out that others spent snarled in traffic.

And, yes, I have one of the longest drives home, 7+ hours to NYC.  Doesn't make a difference if I leave at 4 PM and get home at midnight or 6 PM and get home at 2 AM.  My ass will draggin Monday morning anyway, so why not simply enjoy the time.

792999[/snapback]

yup. instead of sitting in the car for 2 hrs, i will hang out in the parking lot and cook more food, start another fire, play some more football, etc. I'm having a lot more fun than the schmucks in their cars not moving for an hour.

I didn't say that visiting teams had more fans than Bills fans, but it is not uncommon for there to be between 10,000 and 15,000 Patriots or Jets fans at our home games, and many of them outnumber Bills fans in certain sections. That is all that I was implying.

10-15k patriots fans? Are you kidding me? maybe 5-7k so jets fans - many from UB, but to say 10-15k for any team besides the steelers is plain wrong. Tell me how many pats fans are there in 3 weeks.

I think the regionalization of the franchise may have something to do with it.  Fans traveling longer distances to the games == fans in a greater hurry to get a start home.  In both cases the games were over.... 

792769[/snapback]

For me, it doesn't matter if I jump right in the car after the game, or wait an hour. Either way I'd still be getting home about 8:00-8:30. The only way to get home earlier would be if I left before the game ended, or a majority of the crowd leaves early.

I was at the game yesterday and didnt really see anyone leaving early.  I know mist people left the Jets game when it was 28-13 but the stadium was full at the end of the game yesterday

792770[/snapback]

It wasn't still full at the end. There wasn't the media reported 20,000 gone, but there were noticable pockets of empty seats during the last 2 minutes.

I would say that a good portion of the fan base comes from outside of Buffalo, and most of them have jobs. There is a huge difference in getting back to Rochester in an an hour and 15 minutes than there is getting home in 3 1/2 hours when you have to get up and go to work the following morning, especially after leaving Rochester an 7:30 AM to go tailgating.

792793[/snapback]

Yep. That is one reason why I would consider giving up my seasons, is that my entire day is spent on the Bills. And if I'm on the road that next week, I basically get home, quickly pack my bag for the week and go to bed. So anything I did not get done on Saturday, like balancing the checkbook and paying bills, has to wait till the following weekend.

The fans were VERY loud yesterday - plenty of noise!

...and no waves!  :D

792817[/snapback]

Section 240 in the Rockpile tried to start one, at least this time it was when the Bills were on defense.

My son announcing at the 2 minute warning that he had to go to the men's room RIGHT AWAY! 0:)

792822[/snapback]

That's when you teach him about using an empty beer cup and a jacket to hide his wee-wee while he goes.

Season ticket holders who go to every game, what do you spend?

792860[/snapback]

Two Van Miller club seats (with license fee) - $219

Thruway Tolls - ~$10

Gas (at Saturdays price of $2.54/gallon) - $27.00

Parking - $15

Two bottles of water - $6.00

We bring our own food to help with costs, otherwise I could easily see us spending another $20-$30 for that.

I can think of 6 or 7 different exits without trying too hard.  Traffic sucks after the game?  Did you consider that there are 50,000 cars all trying to do the same thing at the same time???

792930[/snapback]

I'm probably going to switch back to parking in the Gameday Employee Lot off Drive 5 again. We've been doing the Handicap Lot off One Bills Drive by gates 1-3, but the problem of getting out of there onto Abott(?) is that the Sheriff's are also letting traffic out of the Limo lot and bus lot. Plus sometimes they won't let you make a right onto Southwestern.

I go straight east on 20, it turns into 78 & I pick up the Thruway in Depew-past the 190, 290 & toll booth jams.  If you're going to enough games, buy a map of the Buffalo area & plot out alternate routes. 

793082[/snapback]

I've even gone so far as to get off 20, take back roads towards Elma, the head towards Depew, to avoid 78 as much as possible.

yup. instead of sitting in the car for 2 hrs, i will hang out in the parking lot and cook more food, start another fire, play some more football, etc. I'm having a lot more fun than the schmucks in their cars not moving for an hour.

793093[/snapback]

It was the Miami game in December 2002, where I stayed after the game, in the bad weather, at Lot 1 Pole 5, watching the cars moving nowhere, for almost two hours after the game due to an accident and poor road conditions. It was worth it though, since we won.