ESPN Biggest Flops of last 25 years

Shamrock

I argue with my friends all the time: while we choked and played awful and not as competitive as we should have been, they were never a heavily favored team in the Super Bowl. They make it seem like we were big favorites in all those loses; losing the way Green Bay or the Rams did as heavy favorites to a team that shouldn't be on the same field. The only one we were favorited in was against the 13-3 Giants! In that season, most of the NFL was focused on the 49ers and the Giants as both started 6-0 and most predicted the 49ers would win 4 straight. The Bills wasn't even thought of until they started running the No-Huddle. Against the Skins we were overmatched as that was probably one of the greatest teams of all time. Against Dallas we were a wild card team that had to overcome a 35-3 deficit. And Dallas went on to win 3 out of 4 Super Bowls.

I argue with my friends all the time: while we choked and played awful and not as competitive as we should have been, they were never a heavily favored team in the Super Bowl. They make it seem like we were big favorites in all those loses; losing the way Green Bay or the Rams did as heavy favorites to a team that shouldn't be on the same field. The only one we were favorited in was against the 13-3 Giants! In that season, most of the NFL was focused on the 49ers and the Giants as both started 6-0 and most predicted the 49ers would win 4 straight. The Bills wasn't even thought of until they started running the No-Huddle. Against the Skins we were overmatched as that was probably one of the greatest teams of all time. Against Dallas we were a wild card team that had to overcome a 35-3 deficit. And Dallas went on to win 3 out of 4 Super Bowls.

789905[/snapback]

Actually, i believe both the 49ers and giants started 10-0 that season until they played each other on a monday night.

Yea that's a pretty harsh assessment for a team that was one of the winningest football teams of the 90's.  There are plenty more organizations worthy of this

789879[/snapback]

Yeah, I just dont get that. Teams that should be their before us.Seattle, Cinci, Cleveland, Detroit, Houston, Vikings,Carolina, Jax, Chargers, Eagles.

No sh--.  I don't see any mention of Bill Simmons (Sports Guy/Red Sox shill) bombing as a writer for the Jimmy Kimmel Show, or that craptacular waste of time "Cold Pizza."

789891[/snapback]

I admire your hate for Boston but actually think Bill Simmons is pretty funny. ESPN sucks

789905[/snapback]

I agree somewhat. If you're talking about home playoff chokes as the favorite, both the 49ers & Steelers are way up there; obv. nobody seems to care or remember since they've won 5 SB's each. The Eagles & Chiefs though, have flamed out without winning the big prize (at least since 1970) so those franchise would be underrated choke artists.

As the years go by though, it gets harder to explain our SB defeats. Yeah the Skins & Dallas were better teams, but by how much? Washington had a great OL and a great offensive coach, and it's understandable that they manhandled our undersized DL. We had a great OL too though; and should've been able to put up more points. I don't understand how they killed us with the blitz so easily (Denver sort of did this the week before, and I'm not sure our offense was ever the same after that). I guess it didn't help that Beebe dropped a TD and Reed was getting mugged in that game.

Another inexplicable point is that we got some breaks early in those games - the blocked FG vs. the Skins, an overturned TD, blocked punt vs. Dallas....those are the kind of plays where if we had won, everyone would say "that play set the tone for the game".