With games in September done...

Kipers Hair

Some observations as I wonder what may have been if we had only selected Bryant McKinney...

- Hat's off to Marv for his work on draft day. The man knew what he wanted and "bought it" in spite of what the well coifed Mel might think. Would Whitner have been there at 15 if we moved down...maybe, but why risk it? For those shooting at McCargo - Linemen as best left to be reviewed 2-3 years down the line. Simpson fell in our laps - thank you.

- Ellison - I know everyone loves him - prototype cover 2 backer and all...but in reality, he was drafted as a special teamer. He'll be replaced in future years with someone bigger that can support the run.

- Kudo's to Marv for taking the not-so-sexy Dick Jouron. For a team in dissaray, nothing better than a coach who is straight forward. Probably more important than someone who invented the greatest show on turf.

we bow to your genius.

- Tagging Nate Clements and NOT signing him to a long term deal were the right things to do. He's a capable starter, but not worthy of the money he thinks he is. Give Yobouty some snaps in the second half of the seaosn and get ready for business in 2007 without Nate. The Bills will be in great cap shape. (PS Nate - Your not even the best CB on this team - McGee is...).

- Stroke of Luck goes to Marv for the move with Mularky - thank God he quit - not only do we lose one of our biggest problems, but Miami scoops him up. Should have played the lottery that day.

- On TKO - Someone named passthepipe on the board hit this on the head - TKO has the heart of a lion, but nobody comes back to 100% from that injury. He willin all liklihood be out of a Bills uniform in 2008. Sorry.

- JP - After 3 games this year, I really do not see that special something I think it takes to succeed in this league. I know it's sporting to put stas up there and correlate back to Kelly in his forst weeks or similar. Fact is - for the special one's, you saw something a couple of times a game that made you realize why they would make it in this league. I have only seen it once form JP in three games. His mechanics are better, but that certain something is missing. Maybe we can win with him, but I am leaning towards not.

- I thought this was a 4-12 team staring Adrain Peterson or Brady Quinn in the eye. After the A+ draft - I think they may have 6-7 wins in them this year...certainly more fun to watch than I thought going in.

- Opinions on TBD - it's amazing how we still have blinders on..."I would rather have JP than Pennington..."..."We should have more players listed int he top 50"...Etc. - you know, the team is what it is - a young team finding their way - if we had a Pennington, we would be 3-0 right now. They are headed in the right direction though. Only hope they get there before Marv or Ralph expire...

- The O-Line - Better than expected, but still the weak link on this team.

- Willis - Until he rounds out as a better blocker and receiver, he does not deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as Tomlinson, Alexander or James. I like the guy, but I am not sure he has the heart to be a special runningback in this league.

See you next month.

I'm not the biggest Willis fan either but stats don't lie. Right now he is the NFLs leading rusher after THREE weeks. At the end of the season things probably will be different but as of right now he is ripping up the yards. Thanks most part to Vilma playing opposite him last week. If only Willis could run against Vilma every week. It seems that he lacks the motivation sometimes but Vilma certainly brings it out of him.

You had me with you until you said Pennington would have us 3-0. Pennington's head on JP's body, yes we would be 3-0....but Pennington's head on Pennington's body.....we are still 1-2 or 2-1 at best.

JP doesn't have "IT" like Kelly or Flutie, but if he keeps learning and maturing, he will be a capable starter in the middle of the pack. He wants to learn, and that will help.

Everything else is pretty much bang on.

Fumbles,

I appreciate acknowledging my facts regarding TKO. I totally agree with the rest of the post, nice work.

I would add to your list that we need a big time play maker at either wide receiver and/or tight end. Our size bothers me at these positions. After watching the highlights of both the Cincy and Denver games, I don't see us having receivers that can out muscle cornerbacks and win 50-50 type balls that are big part of game today. Moulds use to bring that option to the table, we don't have that weapon on the roster today. Like I said earlier, Price has to have the best agent in the league, the guy belongs in Canada, not the NFL.

- Kudo's to Marv for taking the not-so-sexy Dick Jouron. For a team in dissaray, nothing better than a coach who is straight forward. Probably more important than someone who invented the greatest show on turf.

we bow to your genius.

I think Dick gets a great score for getting the team rolling. The D is good and the offense while not scoring enough is moving the ball like crazy.

We could be 3-0 if he hadn't made some totally bone headed decisions like going for it on 4th and 1 against the Pats and the fake field goal and going for it on 4th and 3 from the 28 against the Jets. I'm worried that if he keeps this up we won't get over the hump and get back to winning. Field goals arent' bad. Sure TDs are better, but a field goal here and field goal there starts to add up to real points. Especially if you've got a good defense like we do. If we kick the 2 field goals against the Jets, we only need a field goal on the last drive for the win. Just go with sound football decisions instead of trying be too fancy for crying out loud. I just gotta question his football strategic sense. He's costing us games.

Not much I disagree with there, except for two things.

For one, I'm a little more positive on JP. I don't think he has that special something that Kelly had, but I also don't think that's a requirement...to be a successful QB, or to win a Super Bowl. I do think that JP has some great tools. I was impressed at how he was firing the ball in that last game despite the wind, and still getting good velocity and accuracy (for the most part). Once he settles down some and gets the hang of some of the finer details, I think he'll be a very good QB, particularly given his arm strength and mobility.

For another, I do think TKO can come back and be with the team for a little while. The thing that impressed me in the NE game is that he got on Brady in a big hurry to make the sack. No speed problem there. And this was his first game back from the injury. As has been said before, TKO at [some number less than 100%] is better than most LBs at 100%. I don't know what the cutoff is for that number less than 100%, but until I see more I don't think he'll be a liability in any way.

We could be 3-0 if he hadn't made some totally bone headed decisions like going for it on 4th and 1 against the Pats and the fake field goal and going for it on 4th and 3 from the 28 against the Jets.  I'm worried that if he keeps this up we won't get over the hump and get back to winning.  Field goals arent' bad.  Sure TDs are better, but a field goal here and field goal there starts to add up to real points.  Especially if you've got a good defense like we do.  If we kick the 2 field goals against the Jets, we only need a field goal on the last drive for the win.  Just go with sound football decisions instead of trying be too fancy for crying out loud.  I just gotta question his football strategic sense.  He's costing us games.

Kicking the one vs. the Jets (where they went for it from the 28) probably wasn't a viable option. Would've been a 45-yarder towards the scoreboard, and Lindell just barely made one from 36 into that end a few minutes later. Wasn't the worst wind game I've ever been to, but it was up there...

Whatever "it" is, it was obvious Kelly had it from his first start...JP, I think, is developing "it"...JP was not as far ahead in his development, when he came into the NFL (why some people criticized the pick in the first round), and his first two seasons were pretty much a waste. What we are seeing now, is what we should have been seeing last season, from Losman. His coaches, last year, stunted his growth, or so it seems...we haven't seen his best yet.

I don't think he has that special something that Kelly had, but I also don't think that's a requirement...to be a successful QB, or to win a Super Bowl.

I have to go back about 15 years to find a quarterback that didn't have "it" that won a Super Bowl. I had to go through Big Ben, Tom Brady, Brad Johnson, Trent Dilfur, Kurt Warner, John Elway, Brett Favre, Tory Aikman, and Steve Young to finally get to Mark Rypien and Jeff Hoestetler.

To be a great team you have to have a QB that will someway somehow find a way to win. Teams with solid average QBs make the playoffs, but seldom go all the way.

While JP has looked solid and had good stats, I haven't seen him be able to pull a play out of his ear or hat or ?? late in the game for a big play for a win. He looks more like a "great between the 20s" kind of guy.

We'll see .. .. ..

Go JP. Go Bills.

I have to go back about 15 years to find a quarterback that didn't have "it" that won a Super Bowl.  I had to go through Big Ben, Tom Brady, Brad Johnson, Trent Dilfur, Kurt Warner, John Elway, Brett Favre, Tory Aikman, and Steve Young to finally get to Mark Rypien and Jeff Hoestetler.

To be a great team you have to have a QB that will someway somehow find a way to win.  Teams with solid average QBs make the playoffs, but seldom go all the way.

While JP has looked solid and had good stats, I haven't seen him be able to pull a play out of his ear or hat or ?? late in the game for a big play for a win.  He looks more like a "great between the 20s" kind of guy.

We'll see .. .. ..

Go JP.  Go Bills.

787552[/snapback]

QB's have much less latitude these days. They follow a much tighter script now...the game plan dictated by the OC come h*ll or high water. Yes, they can check off, but to a limted number of plays.

Whatever "it" is, it was obvious Kelly had it from his first start...JP, I think, is developing "it"...JP was not as far ahead in his development, when he came into the NFL (why some people criticized the pick in the first round), and his first two seasons were pretty much a waste.  What we are seeing now, is what we should have been seeing last season, from Losman.  His coaches, last year, stunted his growth, or so it seems...we haven't seen his best yet.

787541[/snapback]

remember, we didn't fully know kelly had "it" till 1989 against the dolphins. There were glimpses, but it took a full 3 years in the NFL for kelly to have "it". Had losman completed that 4th down pass and continued to march down the field, he'd have had "it" too, but he didn't, and we wait.

We won't know "it" till it happens, but "it's" coming. Losman is a very capable QB on skill alone. He's shown that he can improve though, which is HUGE. He's not there yet, but improvement has been shown. Hopefully he breaks out by the end of the year.

As for mcgahee, i don't care if he ran for 300 yards last week... Till he gains a first down on a crucial 3rd and short, he's another nobody RB. This team is closer than we give them credit for, but they have to learn how to close down a game. When they can actually stop a 4th quarter drive on Defense, or close out a red zone opportunity, then i'll be more confident...

As for the draft, i agree fully with the other assessements... Not sexy in the least, but 5 years from now, the buffalo bills will have had the best draft from top to bottom.

I have to go back about 15 years to find a quarterback that didn't have "it" that won a Super Bowl.  I had to go through Big Ben, Tom Brady, Brad Johnson, Trent Dilfur, Kurt Warner, John Elway, Brett Favre, Tory Aikman, and Steve Young to finally get to Mark Rypien and Jeff Hoestetler.

To be a great team you have to have a QB that will someway somehow find a way to win.  Teams with solid average QBs make the playoffs, but seldom go all the way.

While JP has looked solid and had good stats, I haven't seen him be able to pull a play out of his ear or hat or ?? late in the game for a big play for a win.  He looks more like a "great between the 20s" kind of guy.

We'll see .. .. ..

Go JP.  Go Bills.

787552[/snapback]

Brad Johnson and Trent Dilfer have "it?" Please.

You don't think JP's 4th down run for the TD was a huge (and improvised) play? Without that play we're not even thinking about evening the score.

Give the kid time. JP is on a nice growth track, now that Mularkey isn't around to muck things up.

remember, we didn't fully know kelly had "it" till 1989 against the dolphins.  There were glimpses, but it took a full 3 years in the NFL for kelly to have "it".  Had losman completed that 4th down pass and continued to march down the field, he'd have had "it" too, but he didn't, and we wait. 

787559[/snapback]

How do you define "it" Mr Starr? :P

I disagree...I remember having season tickets, Kelly's first three seasons...sure he fugged up a number of times, but there was no doubt that he was an upper tier NFL QB from day one, in the NFL...that 1989 game against the Dolphins was the point at which he seemed to finally put all the pieces together, and the team elevated itself as well...but Kelly always had "it"!

Some observations as I wonder what may have been if we had only selected Bryant McKinney...

Sadly I am agreeing with you more each day on this.  What we probably SHOULD have done was traded out of that pick and got a linemen later on in the first round while stockpiling picks for other quality players...if we ever take a OL that high again it will be too soon for me.

-  Hat's off to Marv for his work on draft day.  The man knew what he wanted and "bought it" in spite of what the well coifed Mel might think.  Would Whitner have been there at 15 if we moved down...maybe, but why risk it?  For those shooting at McCargo - Linemen as best left to be reviewed 2-3 years down the line.  Simpson fell in our laps - thank you.

I think this draft in the end might end up being better then anyone could comprehend......Whitner, Mccargo, Yobuty, K. Williams, K. Simpson, K. Ellison, and B. Butler all have the potential to make significant contributions to this team

-  Ellison - I know everyone loves him - prototype cover 2 backer and all...but in reality, he was drafted as a special teamer.  He'll be replaced in future years with someone bigger that can support the run. 

-  Kudo's to Marv for taking the not-so-sexy Dick Jouron.  For a team in dissaray, nothing better than a coach who is straight forward.  Probably more important than someone who invented the greatest show on turf.

we bow to your genius.

DJ was exactly the no frills stead hand that this team needed at this time

-  Tagging Nate Clements and NOT signing him to a long term deal were the right things to do.  He's a capable starter, but not worthy of the money he thinks he is.  Give Yobouty some snaps in the second half of the seaosn and get ready for business in 2007 without Nate.  The Bills will be in great cap shape.  (PS Nate - Your not even the best CB on this team - McGee is...).

I just dont get the drop off in Clements this year.....considering it is a payday year for him he is not playing like a star.

-  Stroke of Luck goes to Marv for the move with Mularky - thank God he quit - not only do we lose one of our biggest problems, but Miami scoops him up.  Should have played the lottery that day.

-  On TKO - Someone named passthepipe on the board hit this on the head - TKO has the heart of a lion, but nobody comes back to 100% from that injury.  He willin all liklihood be out of a Bills uniform in 2008.  Sorry.

I dont think the hamstring thing is related.....I think it is just a "out of work" injury that he can come back from....he certainly did ok for the 1 play he has been in this year.....

-  JP - After 3 games this year, I really do not see that special something I think it takes to succeed in this league.  I know it's sporting to put stas up there and correlate back to Kelly in his forst weeks or similar.  Fact is - for the special one's, you saw something a couple of times a game that made you realize why they would make it in this league.  I have only seen it once form JP in three games.  His mechanics are better, but that certain something is missing.  Maybe we can win with him, but I am leaning towards not.

I cannot agree here.....last year I think JP showed spurts (after he came back from his benching) of big time potential.....and regardless of this past game (which statistically was great....even though he made mistakes) he has shown to make a big step in his maturity.  Lets keep in mind here that he didn't lose that game alone....our D needs to be able to stop teams when it has to

-  I thought this was a 4-12 team staring Adrain Peterson or Brady Quinn in the eye.  After the A+ draft - I think they may have 6-7 wins in them this year...certainly more fun to watch than I thought going in.

I am sticking with my original prediction.....9-7

-  Opinions on TBD - it's amazing how we still have blinders on..."I would rather have JP than Pennington..."..."We should have more players listed int he top 50"...Etc. - you know, the team is what it is - a young team finding their way - if we had a Pennington, we would be 3-0 right now.  They are headed in the right direction though.  Only hope they get there before Marv or Ralph expire...

What you say may be true....we MIGHT be 3-0 right now...but lets not forget the drawback of Chad....the ability to stay healthy

-  The O-Line - Better than expected, but still the weak link on this team.

I think that the O Line is playing much better then last year.....what we are needing is CONSISTANT blitz pickup from our star back

-  Willis - Until he rounds out as a better blocker and receiver, he does not deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as Tomlinson, Alexander or James.  I like the guy, but I am not sure he has the heart to be a special runningback in this league.

Agreed

See you next month.

787309[/snapback]

:P

-  Opinions on TBD - it's amazing how we still have blinders on..."I would rather have JP than Pennington..."..."We should have more players listed int he top 50"...Etc. - you know, the team is what it is - a young team finding their way - if we had a Pennington, we would be 3-0 right now.  They are headed in the right direction though.  Only hope they get there before Marv or Ralph expire...

787309[/snapback]

I have to go back about 15 years to find a quarterback that didn't have "it" that won a Super Bowl. 

787552[/snapback]

I've seen commercials where you can buy "iT" on eBaY. Can someone just let JP know that he can buy "iT" there.

In all seriousness though, JP is a young QB. I love what I've seen out of him and understand this is part of his growing pains. We'll be ok. A little patience is what everyone needs. :P

-  JP - After 3 games this year, I really do not see that special something I think it takes to succeed in this league.  I know it's sporting to put stas up there and correlate back to Kelly in his forst weeks or similar.  Fact is - for the special one's, you saw something a couple of times a game that made you realize why they would make it in this league.  I have only seen it once form JP in three games.  His mechanics are better, but that certain something is missing.  Maybe we can win with him, but I am leaning towards not.

-  I thought this was a 4-12 team staring Adrain Peterson or Brady Quinn in the eye.  After the A+ draft - I think they may have 6-7 wins in them this year...certainly more fun to watch than I thought going in.

787309[/snapback]

Don't these two points kind of contradict each other?

Just sayin.

Brad Johnson and Trent Dilfer have "it?"  Please.

"it" means winning in my book. Brad Johnson had some good years with the Deadskins, then he went to TB and won a Super Bowl. Last year he took over at QB for team (Vikes) that was in the tank and led them to the brink of the playoffs. This year they're 3-0.

Trent Dilfer took TB to the NFC Championship where they lost close with a questionable call at the end negating a 1st down deep in Lamb territoy. Then he went to Baltimore and won the Super Bowl. The next year stupid Baltimore replaced him with Elvis and they sucked.

It's hard to argue with results.