JP Should Run More

jdbillsfan

It seems like he is elusive enough and gains good yards. That was a very nice TD run.

Would keep the defense guessing and could pick up some 1st downs when our WR's seem to be blanketed.

It may force the D to start spying him, which may open up our TE or Willis out of the backfield.

I dont want to see him get hurt, or always run when someone doesn't get open right away, but it seems like there are plays to be had with his speed.

What do you guys think?

It seems like he is elusive enough and gains good yards. That was a very nice TD run.

Would keep the defense guessing and could pick up some 1st downs when our WR's seem to be blanketed.

It may force the D to start spying him, which may open up our TE or Willis out of the backfield.

I dont want to see him get hurt, or always run when someone doesn't get open right away, but it seems like there are plays to be had with his speed.

What do you guys think?

787014[/snapback]

I found myself thinking the same thing while at the game sunday. Especially when it looked like there were a couple of good opportunities to do so.

I think the coaching staff is trying hard to get to JP to NOT rely as much as he has in the past on his running skills, and that is probably good. As he matures and the season progresses, he'll probably use his very good running skills more. I think the efforts are to "rein him in" in a positive sense and get him to rely on the offensive line a little more and make smart reads rather than rely on his running skills. I suspect he will be running more in the future as everyone gets comfortable with his maturity in the other aspects of the position.

I think the coaching staff is trying hard to get to JP to NOT rely as much as he has in the past on his running skills, and that is probably good.  As he matures and the season progresses, he'll probably use his very good running skills more.  I think the efforts are to "rein him in" in a positive sense and get him to rely on the offensive line a little more and make smart reads rather than rely on his running skills. I suspect he will be running more in the future as everyone gets comfortable with his maturity in the other aspects of the position.

787028[/snapback]

Good post. If JP runs too much now, then he wont be going through his progressions and making the proper reads. Its too easy to just take off. When he matures as a passer, then let him run if hes got no other options.

The time will come.

I know the play was a lot shorter, but his TD run on Sunday was a mini-version of the famous Steve Young 50 yarder ...

Let him become a very good to great QB in the NFL, then turn him loose to make the decision to run around the D. Then he will be a great to elite QB in the NFL. (If it all happens that way)

I think the coaching staff is trying hard to get to JP to NOT rely as much as he has in the past on his running skills, and that is probably good.  As he matures and the season progresses, he'll probably use his very good running skills more.  I think the efforts are to "rein him in" in a positive sense and get him to rely on the offensive line a little more and make smart reads rather than rely on his running skills. I suspect he will be running more in the future as everyone gets comfortable with his maturity in the other aspects of the position.

787028[/snapback]

That's what I think too. Imagine if the coaches (like MM) tell him, go out there and do your thing you'll see a poors man Michael Vick. Who btw is an awful QB.

You know you're right.  He did such a good job on the bootleg, he absolutely should run more often.

787147[/snapback]

Yes, because the bootleg was his fault. The fact that noone blocked the DE has no bearing on the play.

Absolutely JP should run more; when he has an opportunity to run, or when the pressure is there, or when a receiver is not open. But, not run just to run. It's all part of his decision-making education. The coaches should not rein in his running to the point where he no longer runs when the opportunity arises. This is what it seems like the coaches are doing to him, making him less of a dual threat. I agree with the poster that the threat of him running would open up the TE or Willis for more catches. He runs a 4.6, let him run.

Last year, people bitched because he ran too much and wasn't passing enough, this year he is passing too much and not running enough. Make up your minds.

In answer to your question, in a way yes, and in a way no. It is important that he develops skills in the pocket that are needed for him to be a successful quarterback. I think Losman should focus a little bit on running and more on passing. If he does run, it should only be because he has moved through all of his progressions and there is nothing down field for him to throw at. I don't want to see the struggling and scrambling JP that we saw last year in the Saints game or any other game where he stuggled.

Run in flashes (4 carries a game max), but throw the ball more and rack up more yards through the air. This is pro, not college ball. We rely heavily on the throwing ability as opposed to the speed aspects.

What do you guys think?

787014[/snapback]

I've been pro-JP-running for the duration of 2006. And I believe there were times (I don't have Tivo to dissect the plays) on both third and fourth down conversion opportunities - SHORT opportunities mind you - he had the room to run for the first down and either threw away or failed to convert in another fashion.

Again, I didn't have the birds-field-eye-view so?

You know you're right.  He did such a good job on the bootleg, he absolutely should run more often.

787147[/snapback]

You can't blame JP for the bootleg call....The Jets sniffed it out way too early and had him nailed...BTW, I think that could have been a good 1st down call. THe jets would have been thrown off, expecting a McGahee run or a pass to Lee Evans.

Last year, people bitched because he ran too much and wasn't passing enough, this year he is passing too much and not running enough. Make up your minds.

In answer to your question, in a way yes, and in a way no. It is important that he develops skills in the pocket that are needed for him to be a successful quarterback. I think Losman should focus a little bit on running and more on passing. If he does run, it should only be because he has moved through all of his progressions and there is nothing down field for him to throw at. I don't want to see the struggling and scrambling JP that we saw last year in the Saints game or any other game where he stuggled.

Run in flashes (4 carries a game max), but throw the ball more and rack up more yards through the air. This is pro, not college ball. We rely heavily on the throwing ability as opposed to the speed aspects.

787695[/snapback]

It seems whenever we lose a game, automatically something needs to be changed. Personally I like that he doesn't run so much, of course there are exceptions. However, when or if JP learns to throw like most starting NFL quarterbacks (not a certain player who's first name starts with M and rhymes with ichael, Vick) then he should be okay to take off.

He's been in the league for 3 years now, but let's not rush him too quickly? We finally have a QB who can run(when needed) and instead some say "let's not give him too much at once". Instead stay in the pocket no matter what and get your brains beat in.

Sounds like a confidence builder to me. :D

Yes, because the bootleg was his fault. The fact that noone blocked the DE has no bearing on the play.

787197[/snapback]

I love JP (he is my favorite player -seriously).

However, the bootleg was his fault. I have played and coached QB's so know a bit about fundementals. Often, the DE is left unblocked on a bootleg. The DE will bite a step or two on the fake. However, the QB has to run deeper into the backfield to prevent what happened. JP ran that too shallow, probably because he was trying to be too quick to the endzone.

That play would have worked if he ran it properly and 1-2 yards deeper

However, the bootleg was his fault. I have played and coached QB's so know a bit about fundementals. Often, the DE is left unblocked on a bootleg. The DE will bite a step or two on the fake. However, the QB has to run deeper into the backfield to prevent what happened. JP ran that too shallow, probably because he was trying to be too quick to the endzone.

788545[/snapback]

I think it was his fault. JP should have put a little move on the DE ala Pennington against Eddie Robinson. He would have scored EASILY if he just gave him a stutter step and head bob.

DE wouldn't have had a chance because because his ankles would've been broken. It changes the entire outcome of the game.

I think it was his fault.  JP should have put a little move on the DE ala Pennington against Eddie Robinson.  He would have scored EASILY if he just gave him a stutter step and head bob. 

DE wouldn't have had a chance because because his ankles would've been broken.  It changes the entire outcome of the game.

788549[/snapback]

The point is he wouldn't have had to "put a move" on the DE if he ran the bootleg properly - i.e. deeper into the backfield. The DE would have dived at air if this was done.

The point is he wouldn't have had to "put a move" on the DE if he ran the bootleg properly - i.e. deeper into the backfield. The DE would have dived at air if this was done.

788559[/snapback]

I do agree with your original assessment--I was trying to be a little sarcasatic considering the Pennington juke against Swiss Eddie Robinson is a pretty embarassing moment for Bills fans considering Pennington is about as elusive as a street sign. :D

788545[/snapback]

No dude i also play quaterback, that d end had a great angle and he didnt bite on the fake at all. (if the d end did step towards the fake i would agree with u) if he goes back another yrd or 2 he just gives the d end a greater chance to pursure and a better angle. he made the right move to try and undercut him i woulda done the same thing.

It seems whenever we lose a game, automatically something needs to be changed.  Personally I like that he doesn't run so much, of course there are exceptions.  However, when or if JP learns to throw like most starting NFL quarterbacks (not a certain player who's first name starts with M and rhymes with ichael, Vick) then he should be okay to take off.

788504[/snapback]

Now now sylvan, i didn't say JP should run like Michael Vick, i think it is absolutely pivitol that JP throw more than he does run because i would not want him to become this unknown player that you speak of (Seriously, i am baffled).

I think he should mix a little bit of run into the game since it will open things up downfield and keep the defense honest, and off his ass from blitzes.

No dude i also play quaterback, that d end had a great angle and he didnt bite on the fake at all. (if the d end did step towards the fake i would agree with u) if he goes back another yrd or 2 he just gives the d end a greater chance to pursure and a better angle.  he made the right move to try and undercut him i woulda done the same thing.

788877[/snapback]

I disagree. If you play Qb you know that it is fatal to run a bootleg too shallow. I saw the clip and the end started with an inside angle and he adjusted quickly - a job made easier by JP running the bootleg too shallow.