Willis is #1

Dibs

Yeah dead serious.

He does one thing above average.....when he wants to.....and that's run hard.

He blocks about as bad as you can get.  He is also a lazy route runner. 

So far, in his NFL career, when you combine those traits, with a 10 cent brain, well, you start to wonder if this is the guy. 

I'd rather use the Broncos approach and build a powerful line, and find RB's who can hit holes.

Just me though.

786859[/snapback]

I'm with you, but all the stat-boys will pull out his average yards after *3* games to tell us how great he is! (it's not like we played tough defences).

Watch the damn games, the guy is an average RB who does a lot of things horribly.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Tell me your not serious ... my head is hurting from the ammount of ... 'odd' ... posts today. He is not a star in this league? He is not a great player yet? Well tell me. What is it going to take for him to be? Was Tiki Barber not a star because he fumbled? Was Terrel Owens not a star because he talked to much? Was Jim Kelly not a star because he lost Super Bowls? Willis ranks #1 in the NFL in total yards, and yards per game, and he is on pace for nearly 1700 yards ... and yet you say he is not a great back. I am flabbergasted.

787669[/snapback]

Stop foaming over stats and watch the games. There is a lotm more to the position than running (and he does that average).

I'll take a crack at being a negative spin on this.  How many negative yards is it worth when he whiffs on a block that gets his QB blindsided and a TD results for the other team?

He'll never be a complete back.  Never.

786840[/snapback]

Just to play a little devils advocate, and everyone has been bashing McGahee's run blocking. But how about that block against Miami where he picked up 2 blitzers at once? Everyone seems to forget about that one real quick. Ya I think the missed block was the turning point in the game and I'm pissed about it but I'd take McGahee over half the other starting running backs in the league. Maybe even in the top 12? Not to mention our OLine has been nothing but terrible the last couple years and he has played on a team with no passing game as well. Put him in Seattle, San Diego, or Kansas City where the "top 3 backs" have played and I bet his numbers are significantly better. Does he need to improve his receiving and blocking? Absoloutely. But to bash him as bad as he is being bashed on here is pretty ridiculous. It's like that song.. Don't know what you've got til it's gone. All you McGahee haters will be upset if he leaves when his contract is up and there's not a decent replacement.

I'll take a crack at being a negative spin on this.  How many negative yards is it worth when he whiffs on a block that gets his QB blindsided and a TD results for the other team?

786840[/snapback]

Are you gonna cry? Man I hate so called "fans" like you. If it weren't for Willis we'd have gotten beat by a boat load.

That said...and this is in response to KD in CT "how hard is it to get in his way and slow him down from a full sprint?", it wasn't an easy block.  The guy already had a full head of steam, and McGahee was in the process of moving torward him to stop his progress when the move was made to go outside instead of in.  When that happened, McGahee was put on his heals trying to get back into position and just couldn't get there.

787679[/snapback]

You are correct: it was not an easy block. It was as you describe. It was not for lack of effort or any of the other BS things that Willis haters on this board try to argue. He missed a tough block on the edge on a seven step drop. In his pc, he said that he made a mistake. He did not try to deflect blame. He also gave credit to his offensive line for the production he had. Yet, the haters on this board would have you think that he is not a team player blah, blah, blah.

Guest dog14787
I just returned home from the game.  He's above average.....barely at this point.  His blocking is pathetic.  His route running is about on par. 

And I'm gonna tell everyone this,.......the offensive line was terrific in run blocking on Sunday.  The holes he had were huge.  Kudos to the guys up front for most of the game outside of the red zone.

But I don't give a damn if Willis gets 300 yards.  It basically got us zero points, and he got our QB killed.  He's done this now for the entire season.

He's not a complete back.  Not even close.  Anyone would have had a big game Sunday running through those holes. 

Did he run hard.  Yes, no doubt.  Do most #1 backs in the NFL run hard?  Yes.  Is he a complete back that makes a difference yet?  Not even close.

786852[/snapback]

Get a brain ;)

Just to play a little devils advocate, and everyone has been bashing McGahee's run blocking.  But how about that block against Miami where he picked up 2 blitzers at once?  Everyone seems to forget about that one real quick.  Ya I think the missed block was the turning point in the game and I'm pissed about it but I'd take McGahee over half the other starting running backs in the league.  Maybe even in the top 12?  Not to mention our OLine has been nothing but terrible the last couple years and he has played on a team with no passing game as well.  Put him in Seattle, San Diego, or Kansas City where the "top 3 backs" have played and I bet his numbers are significantly better.  Does he need to improve his receiving and blocking? Absoloutely.  But to bash him as bad as he is being bashed on here is pretty ridiculous.  It's like that song.. Don't know what you've got til it's gone.  All you McGahee haters will be upset if he leaves when his contract is up and there's not a decent replacement.

787755[/snapback]

We forget the Miami block because he whiffed one totally on the very next play that and almost got JP killed.

Lets' see ...

- below average speed (for a RB)

- hits the hole hard maybe 50% of the time, the other half he dances until 5 guys tackle him

- NEVER threatens to break for a long run since he's not fast enough

- his blitz pickup is abysmal

- his attitude stinks, and he's arrogant (I am the best?!)

- terrible short yardage back

- below average route runner and not a threat to catch out of the backfield

Yeah, he's a star! A-Train could play a much more complete game at RB than Willis for us right now.

Theres maybe 3 rbs in the league who are exceptional at picking up a blitz. 2 of them are not playing at this time.  Corey Dillon, Curtis Martin and Priest Holmes.  A lot of backs in the league are terrible, and I wouldn't venture to say this is an all the time thing with willis.  There were times in 2004 when he looked damn good at it. There was also the play in miami where he picked up 2 pass rushers enabling losman to get a pass off.  Its more of an inconsistency thing.  However people harp on it cause there's a big 0 for scoring tds so far this season. Score some td's and a lot of the criticism of not so hot blitz pickup will die down.  Fans are fickle that way.

786868[/snapback]

what about edge, probably the best blocker in the league when it comes to rbs.

We forget the Miami block because he whiffed one totally on the very next play that and almost got JP killed.

Lets' see ...

- hits the hole hard maybe 50% of the time, the other half he dances until 5 guys tackle him

Yeah, he's a star!  A-Train could play a much more complete game at RB than Willis for us right now.

788153[/snapback]

Translation: My name is flea17, and my girlfriend left me to be one of Willis' baby mamas.

786840[/snapback]

Your being sarcastic right ? WM is a great back and needs to improve his blitz pickup. Fortunately this is an area that can be improved. As far as RB skills your born with them. You either have them or you dont ! WM does !

Lets' see ...

Yeah, he's a star!  A-Train could play a much more complete game at RB than Willis for us right now.

788153[/snapback]

It's posters like you that the players ignore media ! Clueless !

Lets' see ...

788153[/snapback]

From watching the game:

1. WM's speed looks fine to me. He rarely is in the open field as few RBs are ever in the open field. However, he does seem to get outside as he is used more for these types of runs this year (as opposed to last year when TC clearly had the run game focused inside the tackles), Already twice this season we have seen him use the stiff arm with some effect and a runner has to be able to get outside to do this. Maybe you are basing this view on his 40 time but there is little in the game to indicate he has below average speed for an RB.

2. Is there some calculation which you have used watching the game to derive this 50% figure or is it just a guesstimate which is as legit as most other guesstimates. What do you take as a sign of his hitting the hole hard? Whether the first tackler brings him down? Him getting through some crack in the line (if there is one but an assessment of the blocking would need to come with this)? Are you pleased with the Bills run blocking, or not? How do you analyze WM picking up more yards running to one side of the line than the other. My sense is that your opinion should not be rejected more than anyone else's opinion, but without some facts or at least more detail on your perspective if it is based on just watching the game, it is also legit that folks might simply classify it as a fact free opinion which is not rejected but certainly is taken for what it is worth.

3. He has not produced many long runs (though again this begs for some description of what you consider to be a long run (40+ yards, 30+ uards, a first down). I actually see few signs that WM has fewer long runs this year than most other RBs in the league. If so, then who are you talking about and who are these 16 RBs with long runs to their credit that make WM below average.

4. His blitz pick-up is problematic and by a player\s 3rd year as a player there will be mistakes (unless your Thurman orcorey Dillion) for most RBs but this factor should not nr s notable liability. He missed a couple in the 3 games this year which were notable, though his picking off two blitzer from RB on the same play in the Miami game is about as good as an RN can do so at least he has it in him though there is a better case this is a problem than an asset for him. This problem is one which I think can be lessened with how we run our schemes and I see no reason why he cannot get better at it as he already has improved from his work last year where I doubt he could block two blitzers on the same play even by luck. Do you also claim he cannot improve or that scheme cannot be altered to minimize the blitz-pick-up role for him if he is so bad?

5. I'm not sure what about his attitude is bohersome to you (I know that what is bothersome to you or to me makes zero difference as far as the game or the team goes). I like an "I am or I want to be the best attitude from players, in fact if they do not have that I do not think they generally will be the best. If it is the "baby momma thing that bothers you, it is rather silly on his part, but my advice to you is do not sleep with him and then you have nothing to worry about regarding his attitude.

6. The stats do make a difference in that they describe the game you are watching in some cases. His running on short yardage is actually one of those cases. Dibs pulled together the specific short yardage plays WM faced on Sunday and they were either passes or they called on him to run and generally he busted them for significant gains which produced the first game. It is legit to base your opinion on simply watching the game, but what the stats raise is the question are you sure you were watching the Bills on Sunday as your views about how he does in short yardage situations seems based more on the nig miss against NE than what one gets from watching other games this season.

7. I'm not sure how you draw the conclusion he is bad route runner from watching the games as he does not seem to be employed as a receiver a lot. Again, I can see how someone would not want to merely rely on stats as the ONLY measure of a players play. To rely on this as the ONLY measure would be as idiotic as to reject them totally. However, what the stats can be used for is to measure what game you are watching. As WM leads all non-WRs in catches with an 11 y/c, while it is not a proof at all of him being a reasonable route runner, it does make legitimate question as to what games were you watching?