Willis is #1

Dibs

The real problem is probably the OL, which as a unit simply cannot get the job done on 3rd and short or 4th and short.

786888[/snapback]

You think?

Lets see....

We had 6 plays of 3rd & 4 or less, we attempted a pass on all....as follows.

3rd & 3...pass...failed

3rd & 4...pass...failed

3rd & 4...pass...succeeded

3rd & 2...pass...succeeded

3rd & 1...pass...failed

3rd & 1...pass...failed

We had 4 4th down attempts....as follows.

4th & 3...fake punt(pass)...failed

4th & 3...pass...failed

4th & 6...pass...succeeded(JP scramble)

4th & 3...pass...failed.

Considering that 73% of WMs runs were for 4 or more yards during the game I'd say the main culprit to why we did not achieve 3rd and short or 4th and short was mainly because of bad play calling. When your RB is carving up the D like Willis was, how can you not call a run on any of the 10 3rd/4th & short attempts???

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You think?

Lets see....

We had 6 plays of 3rd & 4 or less, we attempted a pass on all....as follows.

3rd & 3...pass...failed

3rd & 4...pass...failed

3rd & 4...pass...succeeded

3rd & 2...pass...succeeded

3rd & 1...pass...failed

3rd & 1...pass...failed

We had 4 4th down attempts....as follows.

4th & 3...fake punt(pass)...failed

4th & 3...pass...failed

4th & 6...pass...succeeded(JP scramble)

4th & 3...pass...failed.

Considering that 73% of WMs runs were for 4 or more yards during the game I'd say the main culprit to why we did not achieve 3rd and short or 4th and short was mainly because of bad play calling.  When your RB is carving up the D like Willis was, how can you not call a run on any of the 10 3rd/4th & short attempts???

786897[/snapback]

Its harder to get 3rd and 3/4 that you may think ... and if you dont make it, then people are mad at you and the coach.

Its harder to get 3rd and 3/4 that you may think ... and if you dont make it, then people are mad at you and the coach.

786898[/snapback]

I know it isn't easy but like I said, when the running game is doing sooooo well, to not run on any 3rd/4th & short is not good playcalling. 0 for 10. I'm not saying tar & feather the coaches but I'd hope for more diversity next time WM is running up a storm.

I know it isn't easy but like I said, when the running game is doing sooooo well, to not run on any 3rd/4th & short is not good playcalling.  0 for 10.  I'm not saying tar & feather the coaches but I'd hope for more diversity next time WM is running up a storm.

786900[/snapback]

Well thats understandable I suppose ... I just know that I would be perturbed if the Bills ran on 3rd and 4 and McGahee only got 2 yards and we had to punt.

I wouldnt mind seeing Losman scramble for a few yards on 3rd and short ...

Well thats understandable I suppose ... I just know that I would be perturbed if the Bills ran on 3rd and 4 and McGahee only got 2 yards and we had to punt.

I wouldnt mind seeing Losman scramble for a few yards on 3rd and short ...

786903[/snapback]

Yeah but the thing is...

3 of the 6 third & shorts were 3rd & 2 or 3rd & 1....

also 4 of those 3rd & shorts we went for on 4th down anyway. If WM had gotten 2 yards on 3rd & 3 & we are going for it on 4th down, we are now at 4th & 1 not 4th & 3.

The line never got a chance to show if they could get the job done or not.

Theres maybe 3 rbs in the league who are exceptional at picking up a blitz. 2 of them are not playing at this time.  Corey Dillon, Curtis Martin and Priest Holmes.  A lot of backs in the league are terrible, and I wouldn't venture to say this is an all the time thing with willis.  There were times in 2004 when he looked damn good at it. There was also the play in miami where he picked up 2 pass rushers enabling losman to get a pass off.  Its more of an inconsistency thing.  However people harp on it cause there's a big 0 for scoring tds so far this season. Score some td's and a lot of the criticism of not so hot blitz pickup will die down.  Fans are fickle that way.

786868[/snapback]

I think several factors came into play for reducing Bledsoe's 2005 sack #s and while WM's work was a part of it his blitz pick-ups were not one thing I noticed as being a big factor. In no partocular order I IMHO they were:

1. Running an O which was TC's more diversified set-up and not Kevin Killdrive's predictable one- At one point the Bills ran some phenomenal # of plays in a row on third and 3 or less which were pass plays (20 or 30 something in a row).

2. They "simplified" the audible scheme which i think meant they took away some of Bledsoe's ability to audible out of run plays to pass plays. I think part of the reason when ran so many times consecutively was that Killdrive was too clever by half and would try to pass in obvious run situations to cross up the other team. However, when Killdrive would happen to call a run, Bledsoe had so much confidence in his arm he would see some slight advantage in the D scheme and audible to a pass on the too few runs called by Killdrive. TC took this ability away and even Bledsoe praised it.

3. The Bills actually used Bledsoe as a runner. No one was gonna mistake him for John Elway, but a big boy like DB can simply stumble forward and fall for a significant gain IF the D abandons the center of the field which they blitzers would often do to get the best route to a sack. It was a good move because Bledsoe would get hit when he was tackled but he actually was dealt less of a blow when he delivered the hit with his bog bpdy running rather than getting his clock cleaned on a sack.

4. In addition to delaying the blitz with DB runs, WM played a big role because in 2004 they ran WM outside a lot where he showed he had a lethal stiff arm (which they absndoned in 2005 by running him almost exclusively between the tackles)/ Because LNs and DNs had to make sure they could get outside to get an angle on WM, they were reluctant to blitz an overrun the play or allow themselves to be sealed inside by blockers and WM would go one on one with some poor CB.

5. The Ol actually played better in 04 than in 05 (they even had a couple of low sack or sackless games as they started 1-4. I think they were better for several reasons:

A. JMac did a great carrot and stick job reviving Mike Williams play after he showed up overweigt amd out of shape, many forget against MW's poor 2005 play which led to the correct decision to cut him that not only was he awarded a game ball as part of the carrot strategy for his good play in a game, but some argued he was the best of a group of often marginal OL players.

B. CV was a couple of years younger than he is now and was that much better of a player as old age has definitely cost him playing time, but he was not bad oin 2004.

C. The Bills pulled Lawrence Smith from the Ravens PS to start for us, He eventually was benched because he was not good enough in all phases of the game, but he actually was best at and often quite good at pass blocking. it was run blocking where he was an inconsistent player and actually he sucked so bad in the red zone our performance improved played DTs in his place, but he was effective in stituations were DB was avoiding the sack.

6. The trick plays helped cut down on the sacks. As much as its popular these days to blame MM for everything from being an offensive idiot to the E. Coli outbreak, his use of trick plays actually helped the sack number in that it caused opposing defenders to not commit so heavily to the blitzbecause MM might have some play on that they needed to watch for.

I think these and probably other factors rather than WM and blitz pick-up contributed to the lower sack #s.

Man, some people are harsh.

How about this spin? Willis McGahee leads the NFL in rushing, WITHOUT EVEN TRYING. I mean, I understand people THINK he is lazy and dumb and unmotivated and a bad blocker and money driven (who isnt), but damn, it seems like people dont even think before they speak.

If the guy leads the NFL in rushing when he is all those things, I would be kind of interested to wait and see if he gets better, atleast I would if I thought those things about Willis.

Two years ago Larry Johnson was called Larry "Pampers" Johnson.

Man, some people are harsh.

How about this spin?  Willis McGahee leads the NFL in rushing, WITHOUT EVEN TRYING.  I mean, I understand people THINK he is lazy and dumb and unmotivated and a bad blocker and money driven (who isnt), but damn, it seems like people dont even think before they speak.

If the guy leads the NFL in rushing when he is all those things, I would be kind of interested to wait and see if he gets better, atleast I would if I thought those things about Willis.

Two years ago Larry Johnson was called Larry "Pampers" Johnson.

786941[/snapback]

Yeah, he made a big error on the block. No different than a QB throwing a bad pick or a defender missing a critical tackle. It happens. Willis was a stand up guy in his post game comments and admitted the blocking mistake. You have to believe the coaches will have him work on bocking and that he'll make the effort to correct it, and that is exactly what you would hope for from a good young player.

Why must we have the best in the league?

We don't need to have the best back in the league, just a complete back.

Theres maybe 3 rbs in the league who are exceptional at picking up a blitz.

No one is asking him to be an exceptional blocker, just a competent one.

Yeah, he made a big error on the block.

I've seen it referred to as an 'error' numerous times since Sunday. Is it still just an 'error' when it happens repeatedly?

No one on this board had an issue with hammering Mike Williams for screwing up blocking assignments on several occasions last year. I don't understand why the guy who is supposed to be our best player is getting a free pass.

We don't need to have the best back in the league, just a complete back.

No one is asking him to be an exceptional blocker, just a competent one.

I've seen it referred to as an 'error' numerous times since Sunday.  Is it still just an 'error' when it happens repeatedly?

No one on this board had an issue with hammering Mike Williams for screwing up blocking assignments on several occasions last year.  I don't understand why the guy who is supposed to be our best player is getting a free pass.

787631[/snapback]

:P

Maybe because MW was a LINEMAN! His ONLY job is to block. Willis McGahee is a....

Wait for it...

RUNNING back.

Did he screw up? Yes. Is he playing very well this year? Yes. He needs to improve his blocking skill...guess we'll see if he does.

:P

Maybe because MW was a LINEMAN!  His ONLY job is to block.  Willis McGahee is a....

Wait for it...

RUNNING back.

Did he screw up?  Yes.  Is he playing very well this year?  Yes.  He needs to improve his blocking skill...guess we'll see if he does.

787633[/snapback]

Yes, and part of a running back's job is......wait for it....

TO BLOCK!!

I know that must be quite a shock to you. Maybe after you've had a chance to digest it, you'll realize that a running back who can't or won't block ISN'T in fact playing 'very well' this year. He might be running the ball very well, but as you've just learned, that's not his whole job.

TO BLOCK!!

I know that must be quite a shock to you.  Maybe after you've had a chance to digest it, you'll realize that a running back who can't or won't block ISN'T in fact playing 'very well' this year.  He might be running the ball very well, but as you've just learned, that's not his whole job.

787640[/snapback]

I dont think your going to find many people who agree with you ... and that includes NFL coaches ... sure a RB's job is PARTLY blocking .. but your going to miss some blocks ... and BTW McGahee has made some nice blocks. I think he blocked two people last week someone said

TO BLOCK!!

I know that must be quite a shock to you.  Maybe after you've had a chance to digest it, you'll realize that a running back who can't or won't block ISN'T in fact playing 'very well' this year.  He might be running the ball very well, but as you've just learned, that's not his whole job.

787640[/snapback]

As I've just learned? You're great! Did you get up and look in the mirror and pat yourself on the back after that one??

Hey, I'm not the one who comapared how an Offensive Linemen and a RB are treated as far as blocking assignments.

As I said in my post, he needs to get better. But he isn't having a bad year just because he whiffed on a block. There are about 20 other teams in the league that would beg to have a back like McGahee running for them. Learning to pick up the blitzer can be taught. We'll see if he gets it this year.

And yet you're the leader of the tard chorus who thinks JP should be perfect after 11 starts? Hypocrite.

786971[/snapback]

WTF????????!!!!!!!!! Are you confusing me with Holcomb's Arm????!!!!!

I've NEVER been a JP basher. At worst, I have defended those who are skeptical of JP and want to voice their opinion without being bashed by idiots like you.

I'm actually a JP supporter who thinks he has a better than average chance of succeeding in Buffalo, provided the coaches stick with him and we improve the OL at some point in the next 2 years. Uh and yes, I am also not yet convinced he's THE CHOSEN ONE...oh but I guess that makes me a JP hater :w00t::P in the eyes of you and your ilk.

Get a !@#$ing grip, JSP. Now that ICE is gone, you're perhaps the most bipolar Bills (and Sabres) fan on this message board. Two more consecutive losses, and it will be back to, "The Bills are the worst. They'll never win a Super Bowl while I'm alive" just like it was a few months ago. Remember those times?

As I've just learned?  You're great!  Did you get up and look in the mirror and pat yourself on the back after that one??

Hey, I'm not the one who comapared how an Offensive Linemen and a RB are treated as far as blocking assignments.

As I said in my post, he needs to get better.  But he isn't having a bad year just because he whiffed on a block.  There are about 20 other teams in the league that would beg to have a back like McGahee running for them.  Learning to pick up the blitzer can be taught.  We'll see if he gets it this year.

787646[/snapback]

The point was not to compare Willis to MW as a blocker, but to compare the treatment various players get from this board when they screw up. I guess I've just read one too many "JP's turnovers cost us the game" posts that imply that we should excuse a RB -- and our supposed 'star' -- for not being able to carry out his blocking assignments, or that his blocking failure was not a direct cause of the fumble/TD.

Look, I'm not expecting him to pancake the guy, but WTF -- how hard is it to get in his way and slow him down from a full sprint?

311 minus 5 for that missed block he had leaves him with 306 minus another 10 for not working out his upper body during the offseason gives him 296 all divided by 2 because he thought it was 3rd down instead of 4th leaves him with 148 putting him way behind the leader, Dunn.

786847[/snapback]

Don't forget to subtract YAC.

I dont think your going to find many people who agree with you ... and that includes NFL coaches ... sure a RB's job is PARTLY blocking .. but your going to miss some blocks ... and BTW McGahee has made some nice blocks. I think he blocked two people last week someone said

787643[/snapback]

The problem with Willis is incositency at pass blocking. When the guy blocks a blitzer he stops him on his track. That block against two Phinz was textbook blocking. Amazing one. In the next play of the very same game, he left a blizting safety get the sack (leading to a fumble that the refs overruled because the QB safety rule). I could only scratch my head after that one. Granted he was going on out to run his route but he didn't even slow the guy down, giving his QB time to throw it away or sidestep the pressure.

I mean, there is no doubt the guy can pass block, it's his consistency that it's at stake.