A problem could be brewing in the

Mikie2times

Over the last two years MaGahee hasn't been able to score in the red zone or pick up many 3rd and shorts. The line hasn't helped but the number of failed attempts is astonishing. Sooner or later we will have to let A-Train have a shot in this role if Willis can't get it done. I feel like the decision hasn't already been made because of the impact it might have on MaGahee.

You would think with MaGahee's size we wouldn't have the need for a short yardage back. He will feel the same way, and it will probably bother him even more since he feels like he's a true feature back. Maybe he needs that fire lit under him to get things going, but if we switch to Thomas in short yardage he needs to accept the decision, and do everything in his power to improve.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Over the last two years MaGahee hasn't been able to score in the red zone or pick up many 3rd and shorts. The line hasn't helped but the number of failed attempts is astonishing. Sooner or later we will have to let A-Train have a shot in this role if Willis can't get it done. I feel like the decision hasn't already been made because of the impact it might have on MaGahee.

You would think with MaGahee's size we wouldn't have the need for a short yardage back. He will feel the same way, and it will probably bother him even more since he feels like he's a true feature back.  Maybe he needs that fire lit under him to get things going, but if we switch to Thomas in short yardage he needs to accept the decision, and do everything in his power to improve.

785800[/snapback]

I think the problem moreso is predictability on play-calls and (gasp) execution.

On every goal-line and 3rd and an inch, you have three opposing players in the backfield.

Honestly I wouldnt put it all on McGahee. I think it has more to do with lack of an interior push on our offensive line. If I recall correctly there was a qb sneak we ran at miami where losman gained absolutly no yardage other then reaching over a stacked pile of bodies on 3rd and inches. Honestly maybe I'm wrong but I dont believe atrain will fare much better. A finesse line is great for raking up yards, but in short yardage situations you do need bigger bodies on the line.

Here's a complete list of every Bills play Sunday with under five yards to go:

2nd and 3: pass incomplete

3rd and 3: pass incomplete

4th and 3: pass incomplete

2nd and 5: McGahee run for 6

1st and 5: pass incomplete

2nd and 5: Thomas run for 1

3rd and 4: sack

2nd and 4: McGahee run for 13

3rd and 4: pass for 20

4th and 3: pass for 2

2nd and 1: McGahee run for 6

2nd and 5: McGahee run for 5

2nd and 4: McGahee run for 2

3rd and 2 pass for 8

2nd and 5: pass for 8

2nd and 4: pass for 15

2nd and 4: pass for 8

2nd and 2: McGahee run for 1

3rd and 1; Losman run for -9

3rd and 1: pass incomplete

McGahee picked up the first down on 4 of 6 plays. On the eight 3rd and 4th down plays, he didn't get a carry. I don't see this as his fault. Lets give him the ball a bit more.

Here's a complete list of every Bills play Sunday with under five yards to go:

McGahee picked up the first down on 4 of 6 plays.  On the eight 3rd and 4th down plays, he didn't get a carry.  I don't see this as his fault.  Lets give him the ball a bit more.

786201[/snapback]

Don't be letting facts get in the way of a good rant!! :blush:

You would think with MaGahee's size we wouldn't have the need for a short yardage back. He will feel the same way, and it will probably bother him even more since he feels like he's a true feature back.  Maybe he needs that fire lit under him to get things going, but if we switch to Thomas in short yardage he needs to accept the decision, and do everything in his power to improve.

785800[/snapback]

Except that the A-Train hasn't done anything since pre-season. Check his per-carry average. Not impressive.

PTR

Except that the A-Train hasn't done anything since pre-season.  Check his per-carry average.  Not impressive.

PTR

786304[/snapback]

I know what you're saying but look at brandon jacobs ypc with the giants last season and he was strictly used as a short yardage back in place of tiki barber. 3.8ypc isn't horrible for a short yardage or change of pace rb. And Yes I know Brandon Jacobs upside at this time is far superior to atrains. Im just pointing out that you dont need an allstar back there for short yardage just someone who can move the pile in those situations.

I think our problems on short yardage are more to do w/ the Oline than the back.

Granted, my observations primarily on Bills games so they might not truly be indicative but how many times are our backs confronted w/ penetration behind the LOS compared to how often against us in short ydage, a back isn't touch until beyond the LOS.

This could be attributable to our backs being slow getting to the LOS, but I doubt it. Our problem is that our line isn't that good.

Look at recent QB sneaks. Losman has to struggle to get one foot, Pennington makes almost into our 2ndary standing up. IIRC, Brady had a couple good sneaks, too.

I know what you're saying but look at brandon jacobs ypc with the giants last season and he was strictly used as a short yardage back in place of tiki barber.  3.8ypc isn't horrible for a short yardage or change of pace rb.  And Yes I know Brandon Jacobs upside at this time is far superior to atrains. Im just pointing out that you dont need an allstar back there for short yardage just someone who can move the pile in those situations.

786315[/snapback]

I think that Thomas is more of a tailback than a monster short yardage back such as Jacobs, or Mike Alstott.

Honestly, I liken his game to that of MaGahee.

I think that Thomas is more of a tailback than a monster short yardage back such as Jacobs, or Mike Alstott.

Honestly, I liken his game to that of MaGahee.

786321[/snapback]

I have never seen anyone in the NFL comparable to Jacobs. Perhaps Kinnebrew, but he wasn't nearly as nifty as Jacobs. That guy is a special talent and there aren't many linebackers who'll drop their shoulder into him.

I have never seen anyone in the NFL comparable to Jacobs.  Perhaps Kinnebrew, but he wasn't nearly as nifty as Jacobs.  That guy is a special talent and there aren't many linebackers who'll drop their shoulder into him.

786323[/snapback]

How about the guy from Africa who was on the Chiefs (Christian Okoye)?

He couldn't sustain that much weight on his skinny legs, but for a while, he was scary.

How about the guy from Africa who was on the Chiefs (Christian Okoye)?

He couldn't sustain that much weight on his skinny legs, but for a while, he was scary.

786328[/snapback]

That's a better comparison than I offered (much), though honestly I think Jacobs is a much better overall athlete than Okoye was.

All I know is that it is great to have people to talk to about old time players.

(Holding up a beer in a toast to AD!  :D )

786344[/snapback]

Some player have the odd talent to pound the ball for those few yards. Roosevelt Leaks with the Bills, for one. Cut short career, but Ki-Jana Carter was another.

Too bad about Carter. Fine hands and a teriffic blocker, A-1 attitude.

Dumb choice by the B'gals. They had a healthy Garrison Hearst, and passed over OT Boselli.

785800[/snapback]

I AGREE--although like Guess who says--you cant put it ALL on him...but it is a bit disturbing that he can never seem to come through on crucial third and shorts and in the deep red zone. Makes you wonder about his ferovciousness/toughness.

Some player have the odd talent to pound the ball for those few yards. Roosevelt Leaks with the Bills, for one. Cut short career, but Ki-Jana Carter was another.

Too bad about Carter. Fine hands and a teriffic blocker, A-1 attitude.

Dumb choice by the B'gals. They had a healthy Garrett Hearst, and passed over OT Boselli.

786354[/snapback]

Stuckincincy---the greatest of all in getting into the endsone---although he did it more by instinct than brute force.............

Marcus Allen.