This Team Finds A New Way To Lose

Buffalo Baumer

I suppose that could be a good thing in the long run if they can ever get this losing mentality out of their collective systems. If the offense puts up the yards, they turn the ball over. If the Defense steps up, they give up points at the worst time of the game.

One constant that will continue to add up to losses is the hair pulling tendancy to give up third downs. Not only does the defense crumble at crucial third downs, the offense continues to struggle at getting third downs. Until these are corrected, the same old crap is going to be repeated every monday morning. The offense played well BUT...... the Defense played well BUT. This team is one of the worst in the business (on both sides of the ball) when the game is on the line.

Teams that win show up in these situations and teams that don't will continue to lose. People talk about this team desreving respect - WHY?

The bottom line is that pretty much everyone expected this team to be 1-2 after 3 weeks and that is exactly what the are. Someone needs to step up on this team and make the big play happen. #51 where are you? The AFC East is looking like the worst division in the league so it is not time to give up yet!!!

I suppose that could be a good thing in the long run if they can ever get this losing mentality out of their collective systems. If the offense puts up the yards, they turn the ball over. If the Defense steps up, they give up points at the worst time of the game.

One constant that will continue to add up to losses is the hair pulling tendancy to give up third downs. Not only does the defense crumble at crucial third downs, the offense continues to struggle at getting third downs. Until these are corrected, the same old crap is going to be repeated every monday morning. The offense played well BUT...... the Defense played well BUT. This team is one of the worst in the business (on both sides of the ball) when the game is on the line.

Teams that win show up in these situations and teams that don't will continue to lose. People talk about this team desreving respect - WHY?

The bottom line is that pretty much everyone expected this team to be 1-2 after 3 weeks and that is exactly what the are. Someone needs to step up on this team and make the big play happen. #51 where are you? The AFC East is looking like the worst division in the league so it is not time to give up yet!!!

785568[/snapback]

Dear God. Anyone giving up on the season after three weeks should be dragged out and beaten mercilessly.

I think we have a very winnable game coming up this week> The Vikes look tough on D, but their O is hardly threatening.

After that, Detroit. We could easily be 3-2 after 5 weeks.

I am NOT saying that we can't win, but what exactly don't you like about the Vikes offense?

785585[/snapback]

What exactly have they done thru three weeks?

It took a botched punt-pass play vs. Carolina to win, and they looked downright pathetic yesterday.

...and they looked downright pathetic yesterday.

785587[/snapback]

Against one of the best Defenses in the league though <_<

I think the Bills will win this game. I'm more convinced now than I was Friday. But Minny is better than I thought they would be.

If the Bills can't figure the third down problems mentioned in above post - Vikings will punish us. The Bills matched up perfectly against that Jets team and still had fans heading for the exits halfway through the 4th.

Buffalo should have stomped on the Jets' throats after the start of that game. Instead, they let them hang around long enough for the Bills to start beating themselves.

785568[/snapback]

There is truth in what you say, and it keeps coming back to SOS, different day. At some point they will begin to make plays at crunch time. They are a good team that doesn't yet know how to deliver the knockout on either side of the ball. Yesterday one turnover by the D and it could have been...or one less turnover by the O and it could have been...or one outstanding return by ST and it could have been...

coulda, woulda, shoulda

Time to start making plays.

I think we have a very winnable game coming up this week> The Vikes look tough on D, but their O is hardly threatening.

785570[/snapback]

Get ready for a steady diet of Chester Taylor. They WILL feed him the ball 25-30 times next week and unless they find a way to get quick heat on Johnson he's gong to pick us apart in the same way Pennington did, with short throws.

Get ready for a steady diet of Chester Taylor.  They WILL feed him the ball 25-30 times next week and unless they find a way to get quick heat on Johnson he's gong to pick us apart in the same way Pennington did, with short throws.

785712[/snapback]

The past two weeks, the defense hasn't allowed a 100 yard rusher. I think the run D is better than people are giving them credit for.

That being said, we have SOME weapons on offense that could cause the Vikes D some matchup problems.

It took a botched punt-pass play vs. Carolina to win, and they looked downright pathetic yesterday.

785587[/snapback]

That, and the deadskins missed a makeable FG that would have forced OT against minny in week 1.

oh wait, i forgot! The vikes signed Hutch, the all knowing and all powerful. They are going 16-0!

Buffalo should have stomped on the Jets' throats after the start of that game. Instead, they let them hang around long enough for the Bills to start beating themselves.

785700[/snapback]

True. True. I also think our coach should stop making bone headed decisions and just kick the friggin' field goal when it's 4th down. Cost us the Pats game. If we had taken a FG instead of the fake and at least attempted on on 4th and 3 from the 28, we may well have been down only 2 and only needed a FG for the win onthat last drive. Take the points!

Someone needs to "step up" and make a play in crunch time. Big yards and leads early are nice, but Ws are way better.

As Judge Judy would say, "I'm getting older by the minute". I wanna win now.

The past two weeks, the defense hasn't allowed a 100 yard rusher. I think the run D is better than people are giving them credit for.

785714[/snapback]

That Dolphins ran on the Bills D very well. The only thing preventing them from topping 100 yards was that Mularkey is their offensive coordinator. The Jets are the most pathetic running team in the league so I wouldn't hang my hat on that either.

The good news is that the Vikings haven't shown that they can really muscle the ball down anybody's throat. They try but haven't really been successful to date. The same thing goes for Detroit. So in the next 3 games the Bills only play one team whose strength is running the ball. Hopefully they can take 2 of these 3 games and be right back in the thick of it.

That being said, we have SOME weapons on offense that could cause the Vikes D some matchup problems.

785714[/snapback]

We have a brand new system. The players other than the rookies have been used a "blitz--blitz----blitz..." system for the last 5 years under Jerry Gray.

It takes time to get to the new system and with new players it will take time

for them to gel.

They got to play solid fundamental football and avoid getting burnt on 3rd downs.

I think by mid-season this defense will adjust. I hope the Offense/ST can carry this team until then.

True. True.  I also think our coach should stop making bone headed decisions and just kick the friggin' field goal when it's 4th down.  Cost us the Pats game.  If we had taken a FG instead of the fake and at least attempted on on 4th and 3 from the 28, we may well have been down only 2 and only needed a FG for the win onthat last drive. Take the points!

Someone needs to "step up" and make a play in crunch time.  Big yards and leads early are nice, but Ws are way better.

As Judge Judy would say, "I'm getting older by the minute".  I wanna win now.

787602[/snapback]

Hindsight (about being down by 2 points) is nice....The D could have put a stop to the Jets last drive....We could have scored a TD on the prior drive instead of a FG...So many IFs...The solution is not to look at "what if", but rather "how do I fix it".

That Dolphins ran on the Bills D very well.  The only thing preventing them from topping 100 yards was that Mularkey is their offensive coordinator.  The Jets are the most pathetic running team in the league so I wouldn't hang my hat on that either.

The good news is that the Vikings haven't shown that they can really muscle the ball down anybody's throat.  They try but haven't really been successful to date.  The same thing goes for Detroit.  So in the next 3 games the Bills only play one team whose strength is running the ball.  Hopefully they can take 2 of these 3 games and be right back in the thick of it.

787611[/snapback]

THe vikes play good defense....IT will be a big test for McGahee to run against Pat Williams and Kevin WIlliams....

On Offense, it is going to be a good test for SChoebel and Triplett to counter their stud Left side

I am hoping that the Bills don't run into the same problem with Brad Johnson as they did with Pennington. I am pretty sure that Johnson gets rid of the ball with equal speed wich could really pose prblems for the Bills front 4.

Our guys need to watch a lot of tape and come up with a gameplan to get to the QB again. On the flip side, you better believe that the Vikings staff will be showing their boys exactly how Pennington did it.

Our defense needs to step it out.   The defense needs to stop the run and put pressure on Johnson. This team cannot put the game on Losman's shoulder.

788204[/snapback]

So 4 rookies on D need to pick up their game play so our 3rd year QB doesn't feel the pressure of having to win a game?

So 4 rookies on D need to pick up their game play so our 3rd year QB doesn't feel the pressure of having to win a game?

788222[/snapback]

It's not quite the same thing. The QB position feels way more preasure than any other individual position on the field. If the Bills had Peyton Manning I'd say the D needs to step up their play to take the preasure off Peyton. The moment a QB feels like he has to do it all is when mistakes happen.

Hindsight (about being down by 2 points) is nice....The D could have put a stop to the Jets last drive....We could have scored a TD on the prior drive instead of a FG...So many IFs...The solution is not to look at "what if", but rather "how do I fix it".

787753[/snapback]

Fix it by kicking a field goal if you're inside the 30 and it's 4th down. This would go a long way.