Tailgate VII - How did we do?

Just Jack

I agree that the parking arrangement was better this year than last - it was definitely more welcoming for those of us who don't know as many of you (i.e. aren't part of the secret club). It also did seem to help keep the wind toned down.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A big cheer to those involved in the planning. As an event planner, I know how much work goes on behind the scenes. Great job! And LOVED the bigger tent. Would it be better to have the banner on the outside on the Abbott Rd side so it can be seen by those passing by?

Danny's? I didn't appreciate the lassez faire attitude either regarding the 7pm start. But where else could we go?

I missed many of the regulars who couldn't be there - which put a little damper on the AM. But as usual...I loved the opportunity to greet all those posters from through the year.

The wings were MUCH better this year for wimps like me - thanks Rich!

So many showed up much later this year - weather? Not sure. But maybe if we posted a schedule in advance and tried to have the door prizes, group photos etc., finished by 11:00am, then we would still have time visit the other tailgates.

Enjoyed the "after" party too. Those fries were awsome!

Oh and the game? :D

See you all again on Packers weekend at pole 5.

Would it be better to have the banner on the outside on the Abbott Rd side so it can be seen by those passing by?

787174[/snapback]

Because of the wind, I did not put the big banner up on the outside like we've done previous years. It would have been ripped off before the game even started I believe.

I agree that the parking arrangement was better this year than last - it was definitely more welcoming for those of us who don't know as many of you (i.e. aren't part of the secret club).  It also did seem to help keep the wind toned down.

787089[/snapback]

I am sorry I missed meeting you! Some of us who get together once or several times a year find it easier to mingle, but you must admit EVERYONE was welcome. ;)

There is always room for more!

a lot of good stuff written that I won't repeat. I do want to say that I fully believe any "dampening" was a stadium-wide phenomenon. Abbott hardly had any traffic all morning... so it wasn't just us.

It would probably be good to nudge people harder on bringing a dish to pass if possible. In the past there was always too much food, however, this year I think we could have used a bit more.

You could almost say we had TOO many great items on the silent auction! It sort of spread out the bidders.

Would some sort of background music set up be welcomed?

We are also missing a signature ceremony... We need to burn something baby!!!! ;)

These are all just minor suggestions. I think it went great considering the weather. The old ladies at Danny's ticked me off (hello??? People walking around the room w/ name tags on - get the f- out!)

I am sorry I missed meeting you! Some of us who get together once or several times a year find it easier to mingle, but you must admit EVERYONE was welcome.  ;) 

There is always room for more!

787842[/snapback]

Oh, absolutely...I'm well aware that many of you have known each other for a long time. In no way at all am I implying that I or anyone in my little group didn't feel welcome. I just think that the parking arrangement privided a more "intimate" setting, which is good for those of us that haven't been around as long.

I agree that the parking arrangement was better this year than last - it was definitely more welcoming for those of us who don't know as many of you (i.e. aren't part of the secret club).  It also did seem to help keep the wind toned down.

787089[/snapback]

You'd meet more people if you got off your butt at Danny's and walked over to say hello. ;)

Who knows, you might even earn membership into the Inner Circle...except there is no Inner Circle.

It would probably be good to nudge people harder on bringing a dish to pass if possible.  In the past there was always too much food, however, this year I think we could have used a bit more.

787888[/snapback]

Missing Pat and Bill Race for the food, they always have a table set up and people would naturallly gravitate towards that area for sausage and other stuff. Maybe if a table for shared food was set up it would be helpful. I had cooked 6 racks of ribs and just laid em out on the tailgate for anyone who wanted them. Thanks Lori for the BBQ space, you saved me once again!

OK -

Danny's ----the room was reserved for 7pm, He had 5 tables of 10 people for family type little birthday parties. They came in at 4:30 and 5:00 all should have been long gone by our 7:00 reservation. When I mentioned to the table of old ladies (retirement party) that we might get rowdy but had the room reserved they simply said that NOBODY told them it was reserved at 7 and 2 people joined them late. They eventually left. I totally enjoy that place but I think if you want to try the loft in the bar next year I will reserve that for you. There is not as much room but you will have all the TV's you need to see football. I plan on being at the alumni charity dinner/ball next year at the opener on the Sat. before the tailgate. Benefits Kelly for kids.

The t-shirts were as you all said very nice. I do have a couple extra ones if anyone is interested. $10 /14 if mailed. Just look at Jay Rosen's avatar. Sorry for the secret logos every year but It's how I stay out of jail :D:w00t:

Was wondering if we wanted to try long sleeved t-shirts but some said the weather is usually too hot for them.

Silent auction items. I will limit them next year to 5 items. I guess I was too excited at the ease that I was able to get such great items autographed. Let me know who you want for next year and I'll do my best to get something signed.

I'm getting a mini helmet with Andre Reed for the silent auction this weekend.

Missing Pat and Bill Race for the food, they always have a table set up and people would naturallly gravitate towards that area for sausage and other stuff. Maybe if a table for shared food was set up it would be helpful. I had cooked 6 racks of ribs and just laid em out on the tailgate for anyone who wanted them. Thanks Lori for the BBQ space, you saved me once again!

788178[/snapback]

Plus Lancaster Steve is always a big food provider, so missing the two of them cut out alot of the sharing this year.

There is a table set up every year for shared food, it's the one with all the plates/napkins/cups. Usually that's where people put the non-cooked food for sharing, like cookies, chips, brownies, etc.

Plus Lancaster Steve is always a big food provider, so missing the two of them cut out alot of the sharing this year.

There is a table set up every year for shared food, it's the one with all the plates/napkins/cups. Usually that's where people put the non-cooked food for sharing, like cookies, chips, brownies, etc.

788683[/snapback]

We honestly had not even thought about extra food - we went to the Wegmans near the stadium late Saturday night to buy enough stuff just for us.

Next year, we'll definitely plan on bring some extra to contribute to the group.

788683[/snapback]

That's the one thing I noticed -- I grabbed the cheese and veggie trays, along with a second helping of dogs/sausages, once I found out about Bill and Pat. But I never once thought that there wouldn't be at least a few bags of chips/pretzels and such, so I didn't bother with those.

Live and learn...

I talked to a number of people who through that  the extra #6 covers food and drinks as well. Let's make it clear next time so that all the food burden doesn't fall on just a few people.  We could ask all to bring something to share.

788823[/snapback]

I read back through alot of the threads where we (Jay, myself, and Cindy) mention the $6, and did not notice food being mention as part of the $6 tailgate "fee". In past years, we've always had people that would bring more than enough food to share, but this year two of the biggest contributers could not make it, that being Lancaster Steve and Bill In Livonia. Next year we'll discuss the possibilities of including some finger foods and/or snacks in the cost of the Tailgate "fee".

a lot of good stuff written that I won't repeat.  I do want to say that I fully believe any "dampening" was a stadium-wide phenomenon.  Abbott hardly had any traffic all morning... so it wasn't just us.

We are also missing a signature ceremony...  We need to burn something baby!!!!  :blink:

I had something set up but with the wind it made it a little hard. Perhaps next time.

It was too windy to set up the Stadium Wall.

As for the torch burning, I have a hard time doing it to the NY Jets (9-11).

But GHost's outfit would have been nice to burn. We could have started with his blue shoes!

We honestly had not even thought about extra food - we went to the Wegmans near the stadium late Saturday night to buy enough stuff just for us. 

Next year, we'll definitely plan on bring some extra to contribute to the group.

788706[/snapback]

Oh, so I see you brought stuff for your "Inner Circle", eh? Oh, and thanks for stopping by to say hello to Psycho Ward 86 and myself.

Snob.

Oh, so I see you brought stuff for your "Inner Circle", eh?  Oh, and thanks for stopping by to say hello to Psycho Ward 86 and myself.

Snob.

789072[/snapback]

Well, I kind of take that back - we did bring a bag of wings...:blink: