I dont care about his numbers.....my hat goes

Yes, it was a win.  But that win had more to do with Culpepper's implosion and Buffalo's overall performance on defense, special teams, and the running game than it did with the passing game.  Losman averaged 4.6 yards per attempt yesterday, which isn't exactly what you want from your quarterback.  Trent Dilfer's career average is 6.6 yards per attempt.

As for Losman's pretty rating . . . last year people complained that Holcomb would inflate his rating by throwing five yard passes on 3rd and 13.  Well guess what?  Losman had 11 completions yesterday.  Of those 11, three were 3rd down completions that were short of the first down marker.

On 3rd and 12, Losman completed an 8 yard pass to Josh Reed.  Later he faced 3rd and 8, and completed a 6 yard pass to McGahee.  At another point he faced 3rd and 14, and completed a ten yard pass to Peerless Price.  Those three plays represent 27% of his completions, and 28% of his passing yardage. 

Did Losman embarrass himself?  No.  He didn't turn the ball over or do anything to lose the game.  On the other hand, he didn't do much to help win the game either.  Against an imploding Culpepper, an overmatched Mularkey, and the Dolphins' horse manure offensive line, the Bills didn't really need much of a passing game to win.  Not all our opponents will be this easy.

777893[/snapback]

JDG is that you?

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did Losman embarrass himself?  No.  He didn't turn the ball over or do anything to lose the game.  On the other hand, he didn't do much to help win the game either.

777893[/snapback]

Right. Because that fifty yard pass that led to the TD must have come from nowhere. if that pass isn't on target, there's no interference. And throwing the red-zone TD to follow, certainly cake. Tell it to Mike "King Inside the 20" Mularkey. :w00t:

And JP really should have better control of Josh Reed on Roscoe's called-back TD. 0:)

The kid made plays. Circumstances were weird yesterday, certainly. But he did a good enough job to win and yesterday's numbers lie in a way that suits the detractors.

Of course, Roethlisberger's two worst passing days in his career so far were 93 yards and 133 yards in 26 games.    Yesterday was Losman's fourth game with less than 133 yards in 11 games. 

Just to add to this, Roethlisberger's career average is 8.9 yards per attempt, as opposed to the 4.6 yards per attempt Losman had yesterday.

Yes, it was a win.  But that win had more to do with Culpepper's implosion and Buffalo's overall performance on defense, special teams, and the running game than it did with the passing game.  Losman averaged 4.6 yards per attempt yesterday, which isn't exactly what you want from your quarterback.  Trent Dilfer's career average is 6.6 yards per attempt.

As for Losman's pretty rating . . . last year people complained that Holcomb would inflate his rating by throwing five yard passes on 3rd and 13.  Well guess what?  Losman had 11 completions yesterday.  Of those 11, three were 3rd down completions that were short of the first down marker.

On 3rd and 12, Losman completed an 8 yard pass to Josh Reed.  Later he faced 3rd and 8, and completed a 6 yard pass to McGahee.  At another point he faced 3rd and 14, and completed a ten yard pass to Peerless Price.  Those three plays represent 27% of his completions, and 28% of his passing yardage. 

Did Losman embarrass himself?  No.  He didn't turn the ball over or do anything to lose the game.  On the other hand, he didn't do much to help win the game either.  Against an imploding Culpepper, an overmatched Mularkey, and the Dolphins' horse manure offensive line, the Bills didn't really need much of a passing game to win.  Not all our opponents will be this easy.

777893[/snapback]

i love watching douche's like you and JDG go out of your way to irrationally criticize losman. You sound like the friggin national media by saying it was everything but JP that caused the bils to win.

I'm waiting for you to come with some assinine arguement now, about how JP's yards per 2nd and 2-4 yards per completion per sunday in the eastern time zone is 5.8932487534% while holcomb's is 6.

Do what i have told others. Reach down. Firmly grasp your neck. give a tug, and please please please pull your head out of your ass before you watch the next game.

777893[/snapback]

But the funny thing is, if this was Holcomb you'd be totally stroking yourself allday long over your percieved genius..... I'll take the road win and the threat of the deep ball.....

Did anyone see Holcomb giving JP congrads when he was forced to throw a the ball away because of pressure? Kudos to Holcomb for being a team player!

Also I loved that WR screen or whatever you call it pass play to Parish even though the TD didn't count. It's a play I've seen used against us many times, but can't remember us ever running it, at least not like that.

Did anyone see Holcomb giving JP congrads when he was forced to throw a the ball away because of pressure? Kudos to Holcomb for being a team player!

Also I loved that WR screen or whatever you call it pass play to Parish even though the TD didn't count. It's a play I've seen used against us many times, but can't remember us ever running it, at least not like that.

777923[/snapback]

I was thinking the same thing and that was happening everytime JP came off the field after making good plays .....This is Big Dickey J's team and it's showing......

JP has a solid Holcomb like day and Holcombs Arm is complaining....go figure????

Right.  Because that fifty yard pass that led to the TD must have come from nowhere.  if that pass isn't on target, there's no interference.  And throwing the red-zone TD to follow, certainly cake.  Tell it to Mike "King Inside the 20" Mularkey.  :w00t:

And JP really should have better control of Josh Reed on Roscoe's called-back TD.  0:)

The kid made plays.  Circumstances were weird yesterday, certainly.  But he did a good enough job to win and yesterday's numbers lie in a way that suits the detractors.

777916[/snapback]

You seem in a more logical and less emotional mood than most of Losman's supporters here, so I'll respond to you. I personally felt the pass to Evans was overthrown, but that it was within the realm of possibility that Evans could have caught it anyway. If there's even a small chance the WR could have caught it, the official has to throw the flag. But obviously, there's no way to be sure about what would have happened on that play had the defender not interfered.

I'll grant Losman did the right thing on his TD pass. It was a mistake-free play, albeit an unspectacular one.

You bring up the penalty on Josh Reed. Well, the other quarterbacks to whom I've compared Losman had to deal with big plays being called back due to penalties also. Yet over their careers they achieved dramatically higher yards per attempt averages than Losman had yesterday. In any case, that play to Roscoe was mostly about what Roscoe could do after the catch when the blocking was good. The quarterback puts the ball into some guy's hands when he's, say, five yards down the field, and the guy runs for another 20 - 30 yards or whatever it was. It was a good call and (other than the penalty) nicely executed, but not really something where you'd say, "Oh wow! What a blessing it's Losman back there and not some other quarterback."

In any case, that play to Roscoe was mostly about what Roscoe could do after the catch when the blocking was good.  The quarterback puts the ball into some guy's hands when he's, say, five yards down the field, and the guy runs for another 20 - 30 yards or whatever it was.  It was a good call and (other than the penalty) nicely executed, but not really something where you'd say, "Oh wow!  What a blessing it's Losman back there and not some other quarterback."

777943[/snapback]

How many of Jim Kelly's lifetime passing yards were accumulated by the exact same play that you decribed, while tossing quick slants and outs to Thurman? I fail to see why every pass has to be ESPN Highlight material.

Look, I have concerns with JP. Why should't I? He is a kid. Still, you should keep it real. He looks better than last year, we are 1-1, and on the way to RWS for our home opener against the jests.

Not that tough to take from where I sit.

Yeah.  Comparing a career average to one game.  That's statistically valid.  0:)

777951[/snapback]

I was responding to the people who said Losman's performance yesterday was Roethlisberger-like or Dilfer-like. It wasn't anywhere close--at least not according to the yards per attempt stat.

In any case, the Bills' defense, while vastly improved, is still nowhere nearly as good as the Ravens of 2000 defense. So the Bills will need to be better than the Ravens of 2000 in some other way--such as quarterback--if they're going to win the Super Bowl. Can Losman be better than Dilfer? Time will tell, but he certainly didn't do anything yesterday to prove he could be. That's all I was getting at.

How many of Jim Kelly's lifetime passing yards were accumulated by the exact same play that you decribed, while tossing quick slants and outs to Thurman? I fail to see why every pass has to be ESPN Highlight material.

Look, all I was getting at was that if Losman was going to have a big play taken away from him due to a penalty, it may as well be a play which had more to do with good blocking/YAC than with good quarterbacking.

I agree Losman did a better job yesterday of avoiding mistakes than what he did last year. That's the biggest difference I see between this year and last year. But in avoiding mistakes, is he also avoiding the gambles that sometimes led to big plays? Yesterday's passing game was very lackluster even by Dilfer's standards, and I hope that whichever quarterback the Bills choose to go with over the long term is able to be more productive than Losman was yesterday. That's all I was getting at.

But overall, I feel this is a vastly improved team, especially on defense. The offensive line still needs work; though it did have a good first half against New England.

Look, all I was getting at was that if Losman was going to have a big play taken away from him due to a penalty, it may as well be a play which had more to do with good blocking/YAC than with good quarterbacking. 

I agree Losman did a better job yesterday of avoiding mistakes than what he did last year.  That's the biggest difference I see between this year and last year.  But in avoiding mistakes, is he also avoiding the gambles that sometimes led to big plays?  Yesterday's passing game was very lackluster even by Dilfer's standards, and I hope that whichever quarterback the Bills choose to go with over the long term is able to be more productive than Losman was yesterday.  That's all I was getting at. 

But overall, I feel this is a vastly improved team, especially on defense.  The offensive line still needs work; though it did have a good first half against New England.

778050[/snapback]

Don't waste your breath.

Nobody takes what you, and a couple of others say seriously, when it comes to the QB position.

Some of you are bias, the others just plain moronic.

I think there are times when I'm an unreasonable fan. But overanalyzing yesterday's game as it relates to JP's performance is a mistake. Evan's had a play on the ball down the sidelines and didn't make it. He had a shot at another one across the middle and missed that one. The interference was called because it was the right call, clearly, and the worst thing you can say about the pass was it would have been close. The TD toss to Parrish was called back, but it was a completion and it would have padded the stats. The way I see, the swing if those plays break our way is another few completions and 60 or 70 more yards passing for JP. While it didn't go that way, we won the game.

The defense has given us two chances in two game to compete, we won yesterday and lost last week. Brady and the Pats scored 24 points yesterday, and Miami scored 17 against the defending world champs last week.

More work is needed, but it's trending in the right direction.

Nobody takes what you,  and a couple of others say seriously,  when it comes to the QB position.

Some of you are bias,  the others just plain moronic.

778364[/snapback]

I see you're attempting to start a flame war. I would have taken your attempt more seriously had it not been for the last sentence. "Some of you are bias, the others just plain moronic." Before you call other people moronic, you might want to start writing correctly yourself.

I see you're attempting to start a flame war.  I would have taken your attempt more seriously had it not been for the last sentence.  "Some of you are bias, the others just plain moronic."  Before you call other people moronic, you might want to start writing correctly yourself.

778590[/snapback]

:blush:

Just telling it like it is, NOBODY respects your opinion on the subject of QB.

Sorry if this is news to you.

I was responding to the people who said Losman's performance yesterday was Roethlisberger-like or Dilfer-like.  It wasn't anywhere close--at least not according to the yards per attempt stat.

In any case, the Bills' defense, while vastly improved, is still nowhere nearly as good as the Ravens of 2000 defense.  So the Bills will need to be better than the Ravens of 2000 in some other way--such as quarterback--if they're going to win the Super Bowl.  Can Losman be better than Dilfer?  Time will tell, but he certainly didn't do anything yesterday to prove he could be.  That's all I was getting at.

778035[/snapback]

Since when is YPC the measuring stick for a Roethlisberger-type performance?

Do you have a sliding scale? What's the YPC for a Kelly-like performance?

No turnovers, a TD pass, a 50-yard PI call, and a WIN on the road in the division (when was the last time that happened?) is enough for me to say this was an excellent outing by Losman, among others on the team. Why anyone would give two sh*ts about YPC under these circumstances is beyond me.

I'm just relieved that Losman hasn't turned any of the DBs he's faced into his own personal Ty Law.

Save the over-analysis for your posting orgy after the next Bills loss. Boy, I wonder who you'll blame?

:blush:

Just telling it like it is,  NOBODY respects your opinion on the subject of QB.

Sorry if this is news to you.

778639[/snapback]

Funny. I must have missed the part where you were elected to speak for the whole board. I'm sure you speak for yourself, and for Ramius, and a few other core Losman supporters. But there are others who partially or wholly agree with me, or else are actually capable of showing a little respect even when opinions differ.

Since when is YPC the measuring stick for a Roethlisberger-type performance?

Do you have a sliding scale?  What's the YPC for a Kelly-like performance?

No turnovers, a TD pass, a 50-yard PI call, and a WIN on the road in the division (when was the last time that happened?) is enough for me to say this was an excellent outing by Losman, among others on the team.  Why anyone would give two sh*ts about YPC under these circumstances is beyond me.

I'm just relieved that Losman hasn't turned any of the DBs he's faced into his own personal Ty Law.

Save the over-analysis for your posting orgy after the next Bills loss. Boy, I wonder who you'll blame?

I may as well respond to a little of this. I gave Losman credit for avoiding any major mistakes, but blame for not having produced much. In general I think yards per attempt is a better measure of production than is quarterback rating; but I'll try to save that issue for another time.

The yards per attempt for a Holcomb-like performance is 6.7 if you base it on Holcomb's whole career, or 6.6 if you base it on what he did in 2005. Either way, Losman's 4.6 yards per attempt falls well short. I know it's easy to take a rosy view of the team as a whole in light of the fact the Bills won. But the offensive line didn't play well, and there aren't many positive things you can say about Losman's performance beyond the fact he avoided mistakes.