Fumbling out of end zone - Stupid rule

Peter

Isn't it odd that the rule is that if you fumble the ball out of the end zone the way Fletcher did the other team gets the ball.

That makes no sense to me whatsover. It ended up not hurting us, but the rule seems disproportionate to the infraction. If anything, the fumbling team should get the ball from the spot of the fumble.

Mhmm. Just like when the offense fumbles it OB, they retain possession.

Don't someone reply that if it's out of the endzone it's a safety, because that doesn't apply to the scoring EZ, which Fletcher was at.

But where would the refs spot the ball if it were an offensive play? Spot of the fumble?

Isn't it odd that the rule is that if you fumble the ball out of the end zone the way Fletcher did the other team gets the ball.

That makes no sense to me whatsover.  It ended up not hurting us, but the rule seems disproportionate to the infraction.  If anything, the fumbling team should get the ball from the spot of the fumble.

55527[/snapback]

I always thought that too. I mean its great when it happens to the other team but I never understood that rule.

That is a horrible rule.  Also, when a ref blows a whistle making a play dead, they should still be reviewable.  Another horrible rule.

55541[/snapback]

That rule, I understand. Because when the whistle blows players start to let up, so not everyone is going for a loose ball that normally would. My problem is the referees are too quick on the whistle a lot of the time.

I think it the offence fumbles the ball bach into their own end zone and out of play without anyone recovering, then the offence should keep the ball at the one yard line. If a defensive player fumbles into the endzone and out of play, then I think the ball should come out to the 20 in the possession of the team that last possessed it. (defense) Had it happened that way yesterday and Buffalo did not challenge the play that led to Fletcher getting the ball in the first place, then Buffalo would have ended up with the ball on the NE 20.

I'm sure Leon Lett agrees w/ you.

Actually, I don't know what should be the correct or fair thing to do. I admit it's kinda harsh in this instance to totally lose possession but then again if you just awarded the ball back to the team w/ last possession, I can see the potential for some abuses.

Actually, I don't know what should be the correct or fair thing to do.  I admit it's kinda harsh in this instance to totally lose possession but then again if you just awarded the ball back to the team w/ last possession, I can see the potential for some abuses.

56041[/snapback]

The ruling, as called, was correct. I have always thought that it was a stupid rule. If the ball is fumbled out of the endzone by the defense, it should come back to the 20 but the defense's team should retain possession, IMHO. Why should the team that originally lost possession be rewarded with a fresh set of downs at their 20???

unfortunatly, rules only seems stupid when they happen against us.

If one of the Pats got a 15 yarder for itching his ass, we would be more than happy to accept it, and if it wasnt enforced, we would be all over the officials!

Good teams get lucky. We are not good, and we are not lucky.

Add to the fact that the Bills would have had a legit shot to win if Fletcher held onto the ball, even though the original call was wrong by the officials. It was clearly not a catch, but was ruled catch and fumble on the field. And because the Pats had no more challenges the play would have stood even though it was clearly wrong. The Bills get breaks from the refs too, they just can't do a friggin thing with em!