We lost to a better team

Pyrite Gal

However, the Pats did not look as good as advertised and the Bills did not look as bad as advertised by the conventional wisdom.

This finding which I think is fact IMHO was seen in the line for this game being the Pats minus 8 points. The fact simply is that it took over a TDs advabtage from the bookies to get bettors to bet on the Bills when actually as little as a 3 point advantage would have won a bet on the Bills.

Wynnung the line is no victory at all moral or otherwise. However, when one turns your attention to next week it would be foolish to ignore that the Bills showed some positives which bode well compared to last year's sorry performance and gives some hope for better play in the future.

I agree with those who say there is no such thing as moral victories. This was a lost and we are 0-1.

However, as silly as it would to somehow call this a victory in any way, it strikes me as equally as silly to ring ones hands over this lost and not recognize both the actual failings of this team which must be improved:

1, The coaches need to do a better job of making adjustments at half time and anticipatin the adjustments that the opposition may make and counter them.

There were few Bills who I thought were individually overmatcned in terms of the quality of their play (Wire should have been cut) but though other performers had disappointing injuries which raise questions about their ability to perform on an ongoing basis (TV led the team in INTs last year and it was dumb that some seem to assume he would be cut, but he appears to have hit the wall in terms of age with injruoes in pre-season and this game, It was great to see TKO cause a fumble but frustrating to see him go out with a hamstring pull).

There were a plethora of Bills who seemed to look good on most plays but did commit a critical error aon one or two plats that must be altered. Perfection is dumb to require because it will not happen, but the dichotomy is that a player must aspire to perfection or bad things will happen at the worse times.

I thought Crowell, Haggan, and Royal played pretty well but each threw in a wrench on a critical play which cost us points which was frustrating. It does not seem to me that any of these players should be thrown under the bus, but they simply gotta do better in either eliminating all errors or producing some gamenreaking positive plays consistently.

I would place Whitner in a special category by himself that he showed both the best of times with his INT and the worst of times such as the pass play Watson took down with Whitner as the nearest cover guy.

IP was impressive and his development continues. He reminds me of a player like Bledsoe who could do extraordinary things at some times, but is not the player who can be exoercted to produce great plays consistently. Nevertheless while DB was well into the backside of his career when he got here, JP is still developing and should be able to do better as he gets some time. The origress he shows in his control of the game compared to last year's talented but oftern panicking player is quite impressive.

The good news for us is that as unimpressed with the Pats win at home as I was, i was even less impressed with the Fins losing effort on the road a few days ago. I think that if this team can iron out some individual performances, some youngsters can be trained not to do some dumb thins and our coaching staff can do a beter job with adjustments I like this team alot.

Please do not call this a moral victory, but please do not live in fear and claim we are doomed either. Neither is a rational conclusion to draw.

I disagree.  Once again, we gave this game away.

768608[/snapback]

With what? I aggree that we gave away one that we could have won if we were a better team. When I first saw the schedule I chalked this one up as a definite loss because:

1. I expected little from us with a new coach/GM/etc.

2. We were facing a team which won 3 SBs in the last 4 years.

3. We would be on the road.

Yet, as I think it occured rather than NE simply beating us like a good team should do to a bad team in the good team;s house, we actually gave pme away we should have won because:

1. Our team has gotten better players such as the speedy WRs in a St L based O, filled our SS and DT holes nicely with Triplett and Whitner as have a cast of youngsters one can reasonably feel hopeful about.

2. NE does not look like the dominant force they have been the past few years with qurstions at LB, WR, and apparently on OL. Brady;s decisiveness and good play and that winning habit makes them a better team than us able to step up and capitalize on opportunites like the one we handed them for the safety, but I favor the Bills to beat them in the friendly confines of the Ralph assuming huge amounts of injuries do not disrupt the Bills.

3. I had forgotten that we already saw signs of this implostion when we gave away a game in NE last year.

I'm not sure what you disagree with.

2. We were facing a team which won 3 SBs in the last 4 years.

768643[/snapback]

Yeah and they WERE a great team but they looked very very average today and Brady looked terrible. This was a game the Bills should have won and once the coaches and players gel they will be better. But the pats showed nothing today that would make me think they are superior, it was a very even match.

Yeah and they WERE a great team but they looked very very average today and Brady looked terrible. This was a game the Bills should have won and once the coaches and players gel they will be better. But the pats showed nothing today that would make me think they are superior, it was a very even match.

768686[/snapback]

I'm just curious, what game did you watch? Saying "Brady looked terrible" is ill informed at best and idiotic at worst. Look, I hate the Patriots as much as the next Bills fan but Brady is an unbelievable QB. His throws to Watson and the other for the TD to the RB. The guy has the ability to throw 40 yard darts and put the ball EXACTLY where it needs to be. Hell he carried his team last year.

We lost the game because we made HUGE mistakes on the road. That gets you a loss ever time. Yes, the Pat's aren't the juggernaut they once were but for this week, they're better than us.

I'm just curious, what game did you watch?  Saying "Brady looked terrible" is ill informed at best and idiotic at worst.  Look, I hate the Patriots as much as the next Bills fan but Brady is an unbelievable QB.  His throws to Watson and the other for the TD to the RB.  The guy has the ability to throw 40 yard darts and put the ball EXACTLY where it needs to be.  Hell he carried his team last year.

768706[/snapback]

Wow, should we leave you and Brady alone in a room?

He had some good throws but he was not the "great" QB he had been in the past, he was not that impressive this game. He got better in the second half but still did not have a spectacular game.

The Pats are OVERRATED!  The Bills outplayed them, but came up short.  This game reminded me of SB XXV.  We outplayed the other team, and just lost....no excuses....we were the better team and lost it!

768705[/snapback]

The start of a trend perhaps.

I'm just curious, what game did you watch?  Saying "Brady looked terrible" is ill informed at best and idiotic at worst.  Look, I hate the Patriots as much as the next Bills fan but Brady is an unbelievable QB.  His throws to Watson and the other for the TD to the RB.  The guy has the ability to throw 40 yard darts and put the ball EXACTLY where it needs to be.  Hell he carried his team last year.

We lost the game because we made HUGE mistakes on the road.  That gets you a loss ever time.  Yes, the Pat's aren't the juggernaut they once were but for this week, they're better than us.

768706[/snapback]

I was watching the game where Brady went 11 for 23 for 163 yards. So it seems he didn't put the ball "EXACTLY where it needs to be" about 12 times including a horrendous skipping ball in the redzone. Yeah he's a great QB but he played pretty terrible today save for a few nice passes. I was not critiquing his body of work idiot, only today so once you get off your knees and actually read my post and comprehend it then you can say its ill-informed or idiotic.

Which way is the wind blowing this year in the valley?

Not so understanding last year....

768722[/snapback]

UNLIKE last year, this team played hard for 4 quarters. They made mistakes, yes, but it wasn't a matter of being pussified.

Don't you have a birthday to celebrate, you over-grown oompah-loompah?

The Pats are OVERRATED!  The Bills outplayed them, but came up short.  This game reminded me of SB XXV.  We outplayed the other team, and just lost....no excuses....we were the better team and lost it!

768705[/snapback]

the bills didn't outplay them. after the bills failed on 4th and 1, the pats outyarded the bills 204-5 and pretty much dominated every aspect of the game. they're just a better team, and it showed. the bills competed pretty well, though, particularly early on before the pats kicked it into another gear.

the bills didn't outplay them. after the bills failed on 4th and 1, the pats outyarded the bills 204-5 and pretty much dominated every aspect of the game. they're just a better team, and it showed. the bills competed pretty well, though, particularly early on before the pats kicked it into another gear.

769224[/snapback]

Glad you believe like the media hype that the Pats are a better team. I prefer to believe the Bills were the better team yesterday. The game stats were pretty equal.

Glad you believe like the media hype that the Pats are a better team.  I prefer to believe the Bills were the better team yesterday.  The game stats were pretty equal.

769279[/snapback]

Except it's the same old story. The Bills made plays that hindered them (two blocks in the back, failed 4th down) while the Pats made the plays they needed to to win the game (HELL of a TD catch by Pass.)

Bottom line, you do not win in the NFL when your offense scores 10 points. And for yesterday, you can make it 8 points for the Bills offense when you factor in the -2 for the safety. That ain't gonna get it done, even when the Pats play as bad as they did.

Every team in the NFL is so close, there are only a few plays that separate winning from losing. The Pats have been good at winning for 5 years, while the Bills have been good at losing for 5 years.