Holy effing commercials

Gary M

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PLEASE :P  :lol:  :D

764577[/snapback]

Kept track for a while to see if they picked up where they left off last year.

8:42 PM commercials # 1, 2 and 3.

8:45 game action resumes.

8:47, 4, 5, 6.

8:49 game action resumes.

8:52, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11.

8:59 action resumes.

9:00 PGH time out, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20.

9:03 game action resumes.

20 different advertisers over a 21 minute span. Satisfied that the NFL has once again matched their lofty standards, I confidently ceased recording. :doh:

I have begun TIVO'ing the primetime games primarily because from kickoff and into the second quarter is when I'm with my son, having dinner, giving him a bath, playing around and then putting him down for the night.

I thought I'd miss seeing the game live, but I really don't. By the time I catch up to the game live, it's middle of the fourth quarter and not only have I whipped through all the commercials AND halftime, I've managed to keep hanging with my son, who is way too active at 21 months to just sit and watch a football game with dad yet.

TIVO. It's freaking free and there are no more commercials in your primetime football life.

I have begun TIVO'ing the primetime games primarily because from kickoff and into the second quarter is when I'm with my son, having dinner, giving him a bath, playing around and then putting him down for the night.

I thought I'd miss seeing the game live, but I really don't. By the time I catch up to the game live, it's middle of the fourth quarter and not only have I whipped through all the commercials AND halftime, I've managed to keep hanging with my son, who is way too active at 21 months to just sit and watch a football game with dad yet.

TIVO. It's freaking free and there are no more commercials in your primetime football life.

764929[/snapback]

I do much the same. I'll sit down and watch the home team, or the Bills in the rare times they are shown here. For others, I activate the DVR, perhaps watching a little action between doing other things. Then view it later if it turned out to be a halfway decent contest.

I develop a strong animus against advertisers that saturate my screen (insert GEICO here - sorry Steve)...

I do much the same. I'll sit down and watch the home team, or the Bills in the rare times they are shown here.  For others, I activate the DVR, perhaps watching a little action between doing other things. Then view it later if it turned out to be a halfway decent contest.

I develop a strong animus against advertisers that saturate my screen (insert GEICO here - sorry Steve)...

764939[/snapback]

The thing is, I really, really love to watch the game. Especially in hi-def. So I don't FF after various plays, etc. Once the kick returner is tackled, I flip right through to the first play of that drive in like 10 seconds. What's really cool is if you go too far, just hit play and it basically rewinds to where the last commercial ends.

But I end up watching the whole thing. Even the game sucks.

Kept track for a while to see if they picked up where they left off last year.

8:42 PM commercials # 1, 2 and 3.

8:45 game action resumes.

8:47,  4, 5, 6.

8:49 game action resumes.

8:52,  7, 8, 9, 10, 11.

8:59 action resumes.

9:00 PGH time out, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20.

9:03 game action resumes.

20 different advertisers over a 21 minute span.  Satisfied that the NFL has once again matched their lofty standards, I confidently ceased recording.  :doh:

764854[/snapback]

That's why the NFL is starting to lose me. The worst it when the go to commercial during a replay challenge. I disagree with this rule to begin with, but if they're going to use it let us be involved in it. I love football but damn it's like your wife getting up 10 times during sex to use the bathroom. After the third time, you begin to lose interest. :P

Not only do the nets seem to be running more commercials, but they seem to be coordinating when they are run so that if you cable surf to other stations they are also running commericials.

At first, I thought this was simply because they ran so many commericals that by pure chance I happened to hit overlapping commericals. However, there happened to be four channels I had things I wanted to see or could tolerate (The movie The Great Escape was one of them and I have watched it several hundred times and could watch it several hundred more) and the convergence appeared to be far more than chance.

Sports provides some relief because they cannot dictate the commercial breaks for many sports very well as it is determined by whether the tennis games are long rallies or short works, they seem to have wrestled football to the ground with TV TOs and tons of interruptions for challenges and the like.

I was interested to see someone charting the timing of commercials, has anyone taken the time or used their tsping device to determine whether the nets have generally decided to run commercials at particular times so they can coordinate generally though not perfectly when they are run?

(The movie The Great Escape was one of them and I have watched it several hundred times and could watch it several hundred more)

764967[/snapback]

This may be irrelevant to the thread, but I have to say, PG, that despite my occasional crankiness about your lengthy, typo-ridden posts (and those of your previous incarnations) that any person who also reveres The Great Escape is OK in my book.

"Hilts.... Cooler." :doh:

Go Bills!

Not only do the nets seem to be running more commercials, but they seem to be coordinating when they are run so that if you cable surf to other stations they are also running commericials.

764967[/snapback]

Very much so. The "favorites" button on my remote control contains CNN, MSNBC, and Fox News - not because I'm a news junkie, but it's handy when there is a big story. Those 3 stations have their ad coordination down pat.

I love football but damn it's like your wife getting up 10 times during sex to use the bathroom.  After the third time, you begin to lose interest.  :doh:

764966[/snapback]

:P I crack another beer and grab a bag of chips if it happens more than once.

Thats why I prefer NHL anyday over NFL. ANYDAY!! The NFL is one agonizing commercial fest and its downright horrible to sit thru. Go !@#$ yourself NFL you money grubing TV commerical fest!!!!!!

The first half was unbearable!

At least in hockey you can watch action for 15 mins straight with no whistles. Try that in the NFL. Every damn 2 mins your watching the new GM commerical or some Coors light ad. A complete @#$in joke I tell you!